Author Topic: Boardworks / Infinity Boards  (Read 14857 times)

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Boardworks / Infinity Boards
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
Made in China.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Boardworks / Infinity Boards
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »
It cracks me up when everyone talks about "pop-outs" and production boards with a negative slant, yet its what 90% of us are riding.  Your bicycles are pop-out, your car is a pop-out, your snowboards and skis are pop-outs.  Move on.

Amen.  You have a cell phone? It's made overseas.  Toys for your kids?  Likely made overseas.  Get over it.  I buy American when I can, when the quality is there, when the price it's reasonable, etc.  welcome to a global economy.  Heck, having the competition had probably kept us Americans striving all that much more to better our processes and products...  Besides, people that complain along these lines are usually like outspoken animal rights activists who wear leather shoes...

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »
I come to this from the perspective of someone who has surfed his whole life and had good friends that were shapers... but am just getting into SUP.

Whatever its worth, my 2 cents: Personally, I see no negative at all with a shaper making his OWN designs/intellectual property available to a greater market by offering factory made boards. I DO see a critical advantage in that a reputable shaper can stay in business, make a respectable living and compete with "those other companies". What others do I speak of? Those who have no background in the sport, surf industry/in board shaping and design... that basically leach off of the years of experience, trial and error of others by directly copying board shapes and designs and punching out inferior, but highly marketed look alikes to a mass market at low prices.

There IS a place for factory made boards, just as before they appeared, shapers were mass producing "off the rack", middle of the road generic designed surfboards for every shop in town. It was this business that kept them afloat and available to do what they love, create one off custom designs for more discriminating, experienced customers. I see the factory made boards the same way I did an off the rack surfboard- as a good starting point for someone new to the sport to get himself "in the neighborhood" with board shape and size without paying an arm and a leg. As someone progresses, they are more inclined to know what they want and demand a more refined, custom board. The fact that someone like Steve Boehne and any other well established shaper can provide the first option, assures that he'll be around to provide the second, as well as push the limits on future improvements. That is a plus for all of us! Put the local shapers out of business and we are all screwed as they are the ones that push the envelope with research, development... are in touch with and a part of the grass roots of the sport- surfers!

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
back to reality; anyone have any in shops yet?  Weights?  Pics?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
I come to this from the perspective of someone who has surfed his whole life and had good friends that were shapers... but am just getting into SUP.

Whatever its worth, my 2 cents: Personally, I see no negative at all with a shaper making his OWN designs/intellectual property available to a greater market by offering factory made boards. I DO see a critical advantage in that a reputable shaper can stay in business, make a respectable living and compete with "those other companies". What others do I speak of? Those who have no background in the sport, surf industry/in board shaping and design... that basically leach off of the years of experience, trial and error of others by directly copying board shapes and designs and punching out inferior, but highly marketed look alikes to a mass market at low prices.

There IS a place for factory made boards, just as before they appeared, shapers were mass producing "off the rack", middle of the road generic designed surfboards for every shop in town. It was this business that kept them afloat and available to do what they love, create one off custom designs for more discriminating, experienced customers. I see the factory made boards the same way I did an off the rack surfboard- as a good starting point for someone new to the sport to get himself "in the neighborhood" with board shape and size without paying an arm and a leg. As someone progresses, they are more inclined to know what they want and demand a more refined, custom board. The fact that someone like Steve Boehne and any other well established shaper can provide the first option, assures that he'll be around to provide the second, as well as push the limits on future improvements. That is a plus for all of us! Put the local shapers out of business and we are all screwed as they are the ones that push the envelope with research, development... are in touch with and a part of the grass roots of the sport- surfers!
Well said fellow Danapointian! ;)
as the proud owner of several infinitys i am obviously a bit biased and dont mind saying so-SB is a living legend and a smart business man-as are his wife and two sons. Support your local shaper when you can and if you dont have a local shaper go with something that fits your needs and budget-as you progress you will do yourself a huge favor by hitting up and starting a relationship with your local shaper-theres really nothing like it in all recreational sport. Hobie-Coreban-Kings-Blair-Imagine-Naish-etc.. they are all well established and all make great boards. Yes there are poachers out there-there always will be at the advent of a new sport-but time will weed them out and the good ones will thrive.
Have not ridden the Boardworks board yet but have friends who have and they love em-Infinity has sent several to Slater Trout in HI and im guessing this summer we will be seeing him bombing around all over the world on his model-(geez man where did i go wrong!?) :D
Anyway run what you brung-quit yer bitchin and hand wringing over what others are riding and get out there-none of us are gettin any younger!
Hey H20Moloa-so when do you think Tpat and others will get into SUP!? ::) :o
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
Here is Timmy's latest SUP.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
What size is that TPatterson board? It looks sick...  Have you ridden it?
Sustainable Surf

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
   Sick, as in not well.

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »
My word people love having an opinion.  :-\

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
Ha! true that Giant... course... without-em....  this forum would be left with what... the classifieds?

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
wow-i was totally not expecting Tpat to go sup-not that he has-and if he does i think its great-hes a super respected shaper and would definitely not be a band waggoner in the sense that hes not an established and respected shaper and is some hack that slapped his name on someone elses shapes.
I think we will see more shapers entering the market in the near future-the $$ is there.

TD is that yours?-havent seen you on it-i would love to try one of his sups.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
Ha! true that Giant... course... without-em....  this forum would be left with what... the classifieds?

Touché. I guess I meant broad-sweeping, over-generalized opinions.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
If thats a SUP, I'd like to see someone on it.  Looks like a bloated surfboard to me.  Dims must be 6'10" x 26".  Doesn't seem possible except for preteens.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
That T Patterson would be a prone stick for me. It's 8'2 x 28 1/8" x 4.13 SUP for a local SUP SoCal ripper most of us know or know of. T___Ll____y.. Mums the word......
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
Come mid-summer doldrums, a few weeks straight of mush-burger waves, I usually find myself wishing / fantasizing I was 13 & weighing about a buck-five again. Come to think of it... it's why I just took up SUP. I'm a simpleton.... more time in water / day = greater happiness quotient.

Hey giant... actually, I was reminding myself more than anything.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal