Author Topic: Stiffer Paddle?  (Read 4236 times)

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Stiffer Paddle?
« on: January 26, 2012, 07:08:52 PM »
I have just got my first SUP - a Laird 10" - mainly for surfing and am finding my paddle a bit "soft".  It just does not seem to have the bite to get me up to speed quickly and seems to give too much when I set it in for a turn.  I thought it might have been me looking to blame the equipment instead of accepting I am still a bit of a kook, but another surfer made a comment about how much the paddle was flexing without me mentioning my concerns.

I only paid $25 for the current thing - a carbon and nylon Guy Leech model from Anaconda - so at the moment I am just glad to be in the water.  Nonetheless, I would like to invest in something that really works.  Price isn't too much of a concern as I will just keep trying with what I have got till I save enough for something really decent.  The easiest quality brands to access around my area are C4 Waterman and Surftech.  If I could get something better over the net for a reasonable price it might be a better option?

Any suggestions?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stiffer Paddle?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »
Well for 25 bucks you can't go wrong, unless it breaks on you in the middle of nowhere.

I've tested a lot of paddles, and I can tell your there's good reason why Kialoa, Quickblade, and Werner are top sellers even though they are more expensive than their competition, and of course there's good reason why Ke Nalu has so many happy customers. A good paddle is worth the money. It's not just a matter of shaft stiffness--lots of our customers opt for a 60 Flex shaft. It's a matter or designing a paddle that helps your be a better paddler in every way. Some paddles hold you back, some help you improve.

Sooner or later you will buy a top quality paddle. Whether it's your fifth paddle or your second depends on you. But if you stick with the sport (and I haven't seen too many folks leaving) then you'll have one. It's a lot cheaper to do it once.

I'm working on an eBook about choosing a paddle and why a good paddle is necessary. I probably won't be done for a week or so, other projects have pushed it aside, but the bottom line of the book is that the right paddle will push you into a better stroke, let you be faster, help you catch more waves, and makes paddling more enjoyable. I honestly think it's more important than the right board. I spent a few hours today paddling my ancient 12'6" Starboard. Surfing it, cruising it, just farting around. It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if I'd had a crappy paddle, but the board could have been anything.

As I recollect you're in New Zealand. We now have a distributor there and he just received his first shipment of Ke Nalu paddles yesterday.  Dan Joblin--Waterborne Enterprises. They are also the Coreban distributor for New Zealand.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Oops, Australia, okay that would be Jonathan Cowcher Http://www.kenalu.com.au
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

iSUPflorida

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:01:25 PM »
ive been using x paddles forever, honestly cant complain at all.

and theyre cheap, got my all carbon, super light paddle for $189  8)

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
Thanks Bill,

It really seems that all paddles aren't the same.  This is only my fourth day on a stand-up; still I should have know better from my surfclub days where I would see some of the crew with really smick looking carbon paddles that must have cost a fortune.  Then I should have got the hint on my second day trialing SUP's when the demo Rep told me to stick with the better paddles instead of the one I picked up so I would not be "disappointed".

Maybe to I am used to a lot stiffer paddle from years of turning big Canadian bass fishing canoes and my sea kayak?  In this respect I have really been trying to use the paddle to turn my SUP in contrast to purely relying on my longboard surfing skills.  My soft budget paddle just does not seem to want to bite.

I will search around for the brands you recommend.  Likewise, I will be looking forward to your e-book release.   Oh, I am from Australia.  No dramas about the mistake as I would really like to sail over to New Zealand!

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 08:12:38 PM »

Thanks; might end up within my budget till I search for the "ultimate" paddle?

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
Hey SS!

How do you like your Laird 10' ?
I assume it is the Surftech, Pearson Laird.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »

Do you weight a lot? That would affect your paddle stroke a lot.

I dislike the paddles that are flexy.

Kialoa with an oval shaft is the stiffest I've tried. The Naish paddles are pretty stiff too IMO. ...but you will not get them for $25 :-)

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
Yea know some people start off with the paddle backwards too? I'm sure a cheap paddle flexes but make sure you have it he right way. Ask some one that knows show you lots of video out there too.

Also at first you fall a bunch that's a time your paddle can take a beating hitting your board and stuff, learn to fall holding your paddle away from your board.

If you stick with it a good paddle makes a big difference, lots of good paddles out there and Pono Bill's are nice paddles.

Good luck

Enjoy that summer weather.

iSUPflorida

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »

Thanks; might end up within my budget till I search for the "ultimate" paddle?

i prefer them over the bigger brands honestly.
Made in the same factory as some of the bigger brands, so they are literally the same thing...

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
Hey SS!

How do you like your Laird 10' ?
I assume it is the Surftech, Pearson Laird.

No it is one of the original Laird Ron House performance models.  Like you will read elsewhere, at 27" wide it is "tippy".  Nonetheless, the thing is fast and absolutely carves.  It rides very much like a good longboard and is probably not much better to get the hang of paddling.

I have seen the Pearson Laird and it looks like a much more stable board for all-round conditions and a better noserider.   While my Ron House model goes fine in small surf, the shape craves serious waves. 

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:56:05 PM »

Do you weight a lot? That would affect your paddle stroke a lot.

I dislike the paddles that are flexy.

Kialoa with an oval shaft is the stiffest I've tried. The Naish paddles are pretty stiff too IMO. ...but you will not get them for $25 :-)

I don't weigh much, about 80kg @ 170 or so cm,  but am fairly strong and conditioned.  For example, I instantly got rid of the small center fin the board came with and replaced it with a big Brewer looking fin for carving.  I am thinking the little fin is almost too small for a 6' Col Smith single-fin I need to repair.

For turning the board I have moved the fin marginally forward so the board seems to pivot off the paddle a bit better.  Regardless, the paddle still does not seem to have the responsiveness paddling that I would like.  As such, I am going to have to check out the stiffer paddles recommended.  

Oh, I do think I am holding the paddle the right way round.  Still, I spotted this guy the other day with it wrong way around and he just would not listen when I politely noted the discrepancy.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:57:42 PM by Surfershane »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »
I agree with Bill that a good paddle is perhaps more important than a good board.  You won't be disappointed with a Ke Nalu paddle.  While you are waiting for him to come out with his e-book, check out this post on choosing the right paddle:
http://zenwaterman.blogspot.com/2010/10/paddle-technique-part-1-choosing-right.html

Stiffer is not always better but it sounds like your paddle is very soft.   I think fiberglass paddles can get softer with age, the same way an old polyester longboard flexes, not in a snappy way, more like a sponge.  This soft/ sluggish flex sucks up energy.  A lively, snappy flex stores energy that can be directed it into forward momentum for a quick recovery by feathering the blade while pulling it out.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Stiffer is not always better but it sounds like your paddle is very soft.  

I am guessing this is the case.  With such a tippy first board it is hard to get the thing up and moving without any responsiveness using the now nylon paddle head.

I will definitely be doing some research before I make a final purchase, so thanks for the link and advice.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:55:22 PM by Surfershane »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:26 AM »
I agree with Bill that a good paddle is perhaps more important than a good board.

as much as I like a good paddle, there is absolutely no way a paddle can ever be as important as the board you ride.

Not even close. In my opinion that is.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal