Author Topic: 8'2 wide point starboard please help...  (Read 16338 times)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
8'2 wide point starboard please help...
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:09:16 AM »
anyone been riding this board or demo it? really interested in this but worried about sliding out on bigger overhead waves due to its width. used to ride a 7'9 x 33 and found in bigger waves it would slide out pretty bad and bounce a lot on the faces.  the 8'2 seems to have a little more length.  I'm 5'11  190lbs  looking for a board to rip on in knee high to overhead waves for a bigger guy.   thanks

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8'2 wide point starboard please help...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »
I trialled a few of the wide-points and did not like them much.  It was almost like they where "pushing water" due the exaggerated outline.  They might suit beginners, but if I were gaining a bit more experience like yourself, for serious overhead stuff I would just start a quiver and get their bigger "gun".   The "drive" model and a few others might also be options. I.e., go narrower, longer and finer?

From experience, short boards can go way too fine.  Nevertheless,  I am talking widths almost a foot narrower than the SUPs.  What I would be more concerned about is the fact a lot of the guys (and girls!) riding the wider/shorter SUPs are out to pull tricks involving deliberate slides more than they are worried about making big lines on solid overhead waves?  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:37:35 AM by Surfershane »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »
interesting, such a tough decision I'm also interested in 8'5 pro, currently riding pocket rocket i like it a lot but feel I've outgrown it , looking for something that still catches waves well and can rip both god tricks slides and good down the line carves and speed.

marky

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
 Hi I tried a 8.2 wide point and found it slow to paddle and very slow on the wave its just to wide for a  board that short

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
got ya so i guess back to 8'5 pro?  don't think 8'0 has enough volume for me.  or new pr? man this sucks.

adamrod

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
if you are currently on the PR, seems like you should go with the 8'5" pro...the general consensus is that it's as capable as the PR on any size wave, but much faster, better turning, carving etc.

not sure why you'd go with the wide-point if you want something more advanced than the PR, that seems like you're going backwards.

I've heard great things about the 7'11" too, but that might be too small for you.

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »
If you want the advantage paddling into bigger stuff and want to stick with Starboard, for a bloke your size a good all-rounder might even be  the 9'1" Pro?  Looks like a good new shape and sensible length for performance surfing just about anything?

http://www.star-board-sup.com/2011/products/profile.php?post_name=2011_pro-9-1-x-29

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 04:27:46 AM »
Was never on the previous pr models but I have the 2012 and it seems to be more of a high performance board more similar to the 2011 8'5 pro and a solid/safer step up from an older pr model. 
peace,
gnar...

marky

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »
I had a 9.1 pro in carbon 2011 model I weigh 195lb and found it very hard to get in to  the waves I put this down to  a very narrow tail but the board did rip in good waves but  needs a good wave to get it going the float was good and it paddled ok if your using it in good surf I would say yes go for it  but if not the 8.5 pro seems better buy the man I brought the 9.1 from had a 8.5 pro as well which he kept so that tells you something .

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »
i heard good things originally about the wide point, now that has changed. i really don't want to go bigger as i have a 9'8 for the real big stuff. just looking for a new good all around sm to med size wave board.  for ripping.  7'11 seems a little weak in the vol for me but would be what I'm looking for.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 04:05:27 PM »
maby 8'5 pro but in carbon. what about heavy offshore windy days?

marky

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 03:17:47 AM »
maby 8'5 pro but in carbon. what about heavy offshore windy days?
I have had carbon as you can see in my last post
the pros are acceleration of the board on your first  paddle stroke / carrying the board any distance and being able to throw the board around on the wave and just response is better

the cons are not as stable in wind or chop very hard to get down the face in off shore winds and lack of drive / speed on the wave .
this is my opinon the carbon was not for me I like to have 1 board for surf that can be used in all conditions I felt the carbon was just to lite and made it to hard to use in off shore winds my friend who owns it now likes the board alot but has other boards to fall back on when conditions  are not right for the 9.1 pro
the strange thing is I spent along time thinking   the  lightest  sup would improve my surfing and when I found the 9.1 pro carbon at 15lb which is super light and in my head this was it  I was about to step up a level but when I got it I did not like it and if anything I went backwards within 2 months it had gone  after that I did not know what to get and tried a  9.6 coreban performer  that weighs 25lbs and  loved it and not  looked back since  .
In my cycling days weight was the key I had to have the  lightest bike I could afford but with sup this is not always the case what I am trying to say is try before you buy dont make the expensive mistakes I have made so to go on a bit

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
ya   i think I'm gonna go regular starboards are pretty light to begin with. so 8'5 pro in art sliver.   done.  i hope.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
I put the 8'2 thru the paces and found it to be very
stable, and it loves to turn in the pocket. It's a quad
so it likes to go rail to rail to keep
speed. It has quite a bit of rocker
which is how it felt in the water.
I think it's a great head high or less toy,
I'd love to see them keep the
rails thin all the way up the
board.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
I put the 8'2 thru the paces and found it to be very
stable, and it loves to turn in the pocket. It's a quad
so it likes to go rail to rail to keep
speed. It has quite a bit of rocker
which is how it felt in the water.
I think it's a great head high or less toy,
I'd love to see them keep the
rails thin all the way up the
board.

That's the same feedback that we've received from a couple of our clients that have them...carbon (13.8#)...and silver AST...
It does have a thinned out tail...

I'd say that you have to surf it rail to rail to generate speed...pretty much true with any quad...most stable 8'2" that I've been on...me 200#...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/11/2012-starboard-wide-points.html
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal