Author Topic: How much volume is too much?  (Read 8393 times)

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How much volume is too much?
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
I am a beginner with some time on three different 11-ish by 29-ish boards + 5 days on the Starboard Whopper. I am looking for a 9-6 x 31-ish board and I was thinking about the Fanatic AllWave. But this thread (http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=14613.0) has now got me wondering about thickness and overall volume b/c I don't want a board that is too corky and 174L seems like a lot. I am 5'10" 190 trending downwards (I hope :-).

So -- any thoughts on the AllWave or any other suggestions. I will surf this at Tofino in the spring and on Kauai in the summer. Probably knee to shoulder high surf for a bit yet. Thanks.

cole gnar

• Sunset Status
  • Irie strokes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How much volume is too much?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
Ya 174 is a lot. I'm 155 on a 130L which is a good amount I could go much lower. You could for sure depending on your skill lever be on 130 or less
peace,
gnar...

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 04:22:28 PM »
I find volume/dimensions and all that pretty personal.  I ride a pretty low volume board (can't tell you how low but when I stand on it only the nose is out of the water), but that's because I want to surf steeper waves more like a shortboard.  Most of the time that's a good thing for me but there's times when a larger, thicker board would be fun.  I'm sure there are also higher volume boards what will do a lot of what I want to do.

So you have to ask yourself what you want to do with the board and be honest with how good you are.  I bet guys like Laird and Kalama are pretty content ripping on boards with a lot more volume than that Fanatic.  Can you go smaller? Probably.  Does the board do what you want it to?  Go try it.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
I've read somewhere on the zone that you sum your weight (be honest) including gear (wetsuit, paddle, etc.), add 10%, convert it to kg, and then assume 1 kg = 1 liter (to get the lowest possible volume that floats you).  Maybe Colas posted this?  You could do a search...

I currently ride a Coreban Fusion advertised at 148 liters and it's got plenty of float for my 215 lbs (plus whatever my wetsuit, etc. weighs).  Your best bet is to try out boards and make sure you can balance on them.  You also have to realize it's a progression - you likely won't get to the final board right away and have to work your way there...

colas

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »
Yes, should be me. The +10% is to have a confortable board, I'd say after ~100 sessions. +0% is the minimum that float you and can be done, but will be much more tiring.

31" wide is a good width and will give you stability.

kneecap advice is very sound: "Can you go smaller? Probably.  Does the board do what you want it to?  Go try it."

I am 220lbs and the max volume board I had was 150l, but I resold it after 3 sessions because I felt it too cumbersome for my small beachbreaks, but we are all different.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:39:29 AM »
I am a beginner with some time on three different 11-ish by 29-ish boards + 5 days on the Starboard Whopper. I am looking for a 9-6 x 31-ish board...snip...I don't want a board that is too corky and 174L seems like a lot. I am 5'10" 190 trending downwards (I hope :-)...snip

Check out our 9'6" x 30.5" "Stoke" at 150 liters...quad +1...perfect blend of stability and surfability...plus, glide...in a mid-9'er...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/09/supsports-new-sup-models.html

We have demos at our store in Santa Barbara...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:42:31 AM »
I had a chance to check out the Fanatic All-wave at the expo.  They are very high volume boards for the length/widths.  Why not go with the shorter 9'2" x 31"?  Its 160L vs 174, and would still have plenty of float but in a surfier package. 

Kiku

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »
Just got my first 26" x 4" wide board and am loving it!  Fits in the pocket soooo very well; this being the case I am getting rid of all of my 28"s and ordering new ones!  Woo hoo....I love this sport! 

Currently riding it with the new Future Laird quads, but have also ridden it with the Rainbow Heater quads.  Going to change it up as I went manic and also have the Future Nectar quads, Elevons, Jamie Mitchells and the Controllers.  4+1, so I'm going to try it with the JM tris and the newly revamped GLs...both the tri and quad. 

The possibilities are endless with this sport.  Love the challenge of trying out new equipment!

Stoked....!!!  :)

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 01:28:39 PM »
Check out our 9'6" x 30.5" "Stoke" at 150 liters...quad +1...perfect blend of stability and surfability...plus, glide...in a mid-9'er...

Boy Wardog, if those boards surf only half as well as they look, they should be fantastic ride.  Some of the most beautiful boards I've seen . . . might take you up on a demo when I'm up there sometime this summer.

Keep up the great work, always love seeing what you're coming out with next on your website. 

marky

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »
I like alot of float in a board I weigh 190lb  and use a coreban 9.6 performer which has about 158L this amount of float lets you paddle fast and helps to get into weak fat waves easy which I found hard to  to catch on my 135L old board
the problem begins on faster waves the board is harder to control with a high volume but you do get use to it
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:57:27 PM by marky »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »

Boy Wardog, if those boards surf only half as well as they look, they should be fantastic ride.  Some of the most beautiful boards I've seen . . . might take you up on a demo when I'm up there sometime this summer.

Keep up the great work, always love seeing what you're coming out with next on your website. 

Thanks PaddleCrazy,
They do surf as well as they look...
Demos definitely show our proof's in the pudding...;-)

http://surfingsports.com/images/baja_olas2.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/baja_olas3.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/sup_cabo8.jpg
http://surfingsports.com/images/sup_cabo14.jpg

With our epoxy and carbon customs you can dial them in even more for specific tastes...

Just got this testimonial from a guy in Virginia Beach on his "Blue Ray" 9'6" Stoke custom epoxy...he's a lighter guy so we thinned out the nose and tail down to around 140 liters...

"This board absolutely rocks. I am completely amazed at how well this board rides in all conditions.
Positively the best board I have ever ridden including all my surfboards and over a 40 years of surfing."

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

catdailey

• Rincon Status
  • If it floats and has a stick, I'm there :>
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
So don't understand the volume thing. Surfing boards seem so low in comparison to 12'6" race boards. If I went by the formula posted earlier about weight, etc, I'd be on a 75 L board  :o

I'm going to buy a race board for flat, small chop/wave east coast conditions. I'm 5'9" 130 lbs. the lowest volume board I've seen so far is the M&M at 197L. The next is the skinny Fanatic Fly race at I think around 230. The 2012 Bark Appelby (supposedly for women) is even bigger volume than those two. I think I'm missing something....

Cat
Cat

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
I'm 195lbs and ride both ends of the story.  My 115L feels the coolest walking out to the beach with, is the board that challenges my abilities the most, and is the most work in the water.  The 170L is a heavy lug to the beach, but after that- pure easy gliding joy, never falling and surfing all day.  Choices.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
Just got my first 26" x 4" wide board and am loving it!  Fits in the pocket soooo very well; this being the case I am getting rid of all of my 28"s and ordering new ones!  Woo hoo....I love this sport! 

what length is your board? and what is your weight.  i would like to try a 26-27 width board but there isn't much option out there beside custom.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »
So don't understand the volume thing. Surfing boards seem so low in comparison to 12'6" race boards. If I went by the formula posted earlier about weight, etc, I'd be on a 75 L board  :o

I'm going to buy a race board for flat, small chop/wave east coast conditions. I'm 5'9" 130 lbs. the lowest volume board I've seen so far is the M&M at 197L. The next is the skinny Fanatic Fly race at I think around 230. The 2012 Bark Appelby (supposedly for women) is even bigger volume than those two. I think I'm missing something....

Cat
The weight +10% is a good indicator for performance surfing SUP boards for advanced riders, not race boards.  You want more volume on a race board.  Thicker rails make race boards less tippy and allow you to ride a narrower, faster width.  Also, if you are starting out, don't get a board that's too small for you.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal