Author Topic: The Space Pickle from Slingshot SUP  (Read 83354 times)

SS_SUPer

• Waikiki Status
  • SS_SUP
    • View Profile
    • Slingshot Sports
The Space Pickle from Slingshot SUP
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Check out the Space Pickle, a new surf SUP from Slingshot sports.  This board is super stable but pivots so easy as it has this really aggressive V Spine.
It comes in a 7.6" and 8.6"

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: The Space Pickle from Slingshot SUP
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »
Check out the Space Pickle, a new surf SUP from Slingshot sports.  This board is super stable but pivots so easy as it has this really aggressive V Spine.
It comes in a 7.6" and 8.6"

You've never seen a board like the Space Pickle.  An all new ultra-wide thumb tail design that's sure to take your wave riding to the next level.

hmmmmmm....never seen anything quite like it..."ultra-wide thumb tail design...super stable but pivots so easy...really aggressive V Spine...Added surface area and lift in the tail enables maximum maneuverability and smooth turns...DOUBLE CONCAVE BOTTOM SHAPE...QUAD FIN CONFIGURATION...looser transitions edge to edge...An innovative design that enables high performance wave riding and high stoke levels...Length - 8'6"...Width - 31.5"...Volume - 136 liters  "etc...etc...etc...

Then again...maybe I have...since there's been 12873 views on an 8'6" board that looks nothing like that 8'6" board...must be subliminal...;-)

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=9679.0

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/12/the-jammer-86.html

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motorsickel.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
Hmm, another one to add to the list along with the c4 hipster and Wardog's Jammer. I'd love to demo one. Forum posts aside, its hard to definitively say who got what ideas from where, but you're gotta give credit to Wardog for at least figuring out that futures fins are the way to go. Futures has at least a dozen fins sets developed for SUP use. FCS has like 2 and a half. I'm absolutely mystified as to why any SUP manufacturer would use fcs boxes on their boards. I'd love to hear their rational, because if I was choosing between two similar boards, the one with the futures boxes would win every time just because of the options futures fins have.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
And DFS? might as well just glass on your fins in that case.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:58:49 AM »
Hmm, another one to add to the list along with the c4 hipster and Wardog's Jammer. I'd love to demo one. Forum posts aside, its hard to definitively say who got what ideas from where, but you're gotta give credit to Wardog for at least figuring out that futures fins are the way to go. Futures has at least a dozen fins sets developed for SUP use. FCS has like 2 and a half. I'm absolutely mystified as to why any SUP manufacturer would use fcs boxes on their boards. I'd love to hear their rational, because if I was choosing between two similar boards, the one with the futures boxes would win every time just because of the options futures fins have.

Aloha exiled,
It's definitely not definitively hard in the least to say where SS SUP got this idea...a kite company from Hood River, coincidentally where we are manufacturing the Jammer, comes along and produces a knockoff of the Jammer (wide nose Jammer) in it's first year of trying to be in the SUP market...go figure...I've been in the SUP market since 2005, and it took me 5 years to roll it out...;-)

I had the idea in 2009...I have proof of concept early 2010...and, revealed *real* pictures...not computer artist renditions... of the wide point back, quad, deep double barrel tail with a spine 8'6" Jammer in November, 2010...that's a time stamp that can't be refuted...

"This wide point back, high performance 8’6″ x 31.5″ is perhaps the most significant surfing SUP design change to come along in years…the volume is redistributed and jammed back into the tail where it is surfed and paddled…in regular surfing stance…amazing stability and maneuverability is achieved by a more efficient distribution of volume…"

"We give a nod to legendary Australian shaper, Geoff McCoy, who developed the Lazor Zap which radically reduced nose width to allow the development of the Thruster by Simon Anderson…he also shaped my first Thruster, the 6’0″ in my 1981 quiver…the start of the thruster revolution…
Geoff McCoy, has always marched to his own drum…same here…
Over the last couple of decades, the Lazor Zap has been further refined by Geoff McCoy and Cheyne Horan into the Nugget…which influenced my thinking to transform the wide point back idea into a SUP…for the last couple of years I kept asking myself, what would George (Greenough) do?…"

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2010/11/the-jammer.html

Regarding Futures...yes, they are in all of our custom and production boards...including, our new 6 channel "Groove"...not the easiest sidebiter installation...but, we accomplished it...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »
You guys got me thinking.  Ever been on a wake skate?  How about something like the pickle with equal rocker on both tail and nose with the "Grove" fingers outline.  Make it around 8' and just use it for spins, sliding out, freestyle stuff.  I think I could have some fun on some 1-3 foot stuff.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »
You guys got me thinking.  Ever been on a wake skate?  How about something like the pickle with equal rocker on both tail and nose with the "Grove" fingers outline.  Make it around 8' and just use it for spins, sliding out, freestyle stuff.  I think I could have some fun on some 1-3 foot stuff.

If you can dream it (and, pay for it...;-) we can build it...

I've been thinking about freestyle SUP since the modern beginning...obviously, an extension of freestyle windsurfing...great potential for crowd pleasing entertainment...however, I felt that until SUP could gain credibility in the surf...introducing a freestyle element too soon could give too much fodder for haters...it could come across as a rollerblading circus act...twirling paddles behind your back...etc...technically challenging freestyle moves on the wave face don't score at surf contests...I think Zane found this out...;-)

I don't doubt that one day there will be SUP freestyle champs...men and women...obviously, women's SUP freestyle has potential...it's the more interesting side of figure skating, gymnastics, and synchronized swimming...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:32 PM »
War, I mean no offense. Slingshot may well have taken your board and put a wider nose on it. But so what? Guys come out with similar boards all of the time. I looked at your groove and thought 'Oh look, its a c4 Raimana'. Conversely, I looked at C4's hipster and knowing about the Jammer, thought 'Oh look, some else turned a McCoy shape into a SUP'.

As a simple end user, who came first doesn't matter much if the board works. If the two are in front of me and everything else was the same, I'd buy the one from the guy who came up with the idea, but ultimately I'm gonna end up buying the one I can get my hands on. I'm all for progressive, out of the box thinking, but I wanna try before I buy. The biggest pro this board has going for it is that I'll probably be able to demo it locally. If you're ever on Oahu demoing Jammers I would be there in a heartbeat. But if its a choice between taking something out for a spin from a local shop or ordering a custom shape from the mainland, waiting, dealing with the extra money and hassle of shipping, and then hoping I like it, I know which way I'm going.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 04:56:33 AM »
I recall seeing some Naish stand ups with channels awhile back. 

Were they the first to do it?

Who did it first?

Futures are the only fin boxes that have ever given me problems. 

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
War, I mean no offense. Slingshot may well have taken your board and put a wider nose on it. But so what? Guys come out with similar boards all of the time. I looked at your groove and thought 'Oh look, its a c4 Raimana'. Conversely, I looked at C4's hipster and knowing about the Jammer, thought 'Oh look, some else turned a McCoy shape into a SUP'.

Aloha exiled,
The "so what?" part is offensive to me...since I started working with Sean Ordonez on Maui in 2005, designing and producing SUP's, I've had to battle IP theft, cyber-squatters, dishonest history revisionists, knockoff artists taking shortcuts...website content theft...obfuscation...etc...etc...my SUP business is how I make my living...walk a mile in my shoes...;-)

As for the 9'4" x 31" round tail Groove looking like the 9'8" x 28 9/16" swallow tail C4 Raimana...first I heard of it...
I had to dig to find pics of the C4...doesn't look anything like our board...

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/stand_up_paddle/4402454.jpg
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/stand_up_paddle/4402452.jpg

I respect Dave Parmenter...he's a good shaper...he used to live near here before moving to the islands...don't remember him shaping 6 channel surfboards...never had one of his Aleutian Juice surfboards...but, IF he influenced me in any way, I would have given him credit...

I was Todd Bradley's first Pohaku standup paddle dealer on the mainland...before, he became C4 and started manufacturing production SUP's...for the record, Sean and I were the first...in fact, Todd once told me that he had no interest in producing SUP's...;-)

[/quote]As a simple end user, who came first doesn't matter much if the board works. If the two are in front of me and everything else was the same, I'd buy the one from the guy who came up with the idea, but ultimately I'm gonna end up buying the one I can get my hands on. I'm all for progressive, out of the box thinking, but I wanna try before I buy. The biggest pro this board has going for it is that I'll probably be able to demo it locally. If you're ever on Oahu demoing Jammers I would be there in a heartbeat. But if its a choice between taking something out for a spin from a local shop or ordering a custom shape from the mainland, waiting, dealing with the extra money and hassle of shipping, and then hoping I like it, I know which way I'm going.
[/quote]

Again, I respect your opinion...but, if you were in the business and someone was knocking your IP (intelectual property) off, I suspect that it would matter to you...;-)

If you are ever in Santa Barbara you are welcome to demo a Jammer...we have a very high conversion rate...;-)
We have also sold quite a few from our highly detailed pics and website...a virtual petri dish of material and ideas for a few unscrupulous folks...obviously, a double edged sword...but, getting our product out to simple end users such as yourself to enjoy is well worth it...

http://surfingsports.com/customer_testimonials.asp

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 06:45:12 AM »
I recall seeing some Naish stand ups with channels awhile back. 

Were they the first to do it?

Who did it first?

Futures are the only fin boxes that have ever given me problems. 

Channels are nothing new...
Naish does have a channel bottom 7'8" bat tail...not 6 channels...and, it looks like they have a 10'10" with channels running the whole length of the board...

Don't understand how Futures can cause problems...other than they come in two depths for the rear boxes...we have tried to standardize on 3/4" because SUP's are thicker in the tail than surfboards...

We manufacture our fins in both Futures and FCS bases...but, incorporate Futures in our boards because I have lost a number of FCS fins working themselves loose on their own...and, on impact...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/2011/03/bamboo-core-fins.html

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/rainbow-fins

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SS_SUPer

• Waikiki Status
  • SS_SUP
    • View Profile
    • Slingshot Sports
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »
Hey Guys I didn't mean to create a fire storm about the Pickle.  Just wanted to let people know it's out there.  Wardog I am sorry that you feel we stole your IP.  but I am sure our two boards have many subtle difference.   Regarding the fin question.  we use US box fins (that accommodate future fins) on our race and all round SUP's.  On our Surf boards we chose to go with FCS as they have a wide range of surf style fins.  they are also very easy to change out.

We will have some Space Pickle video available soon so you can take a look at it.
 It rides great behind a wake board as well and is really stable on flat water.

Peace out
SS_SUPer

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
Aloha SS_SUPer,
First off...there is a protocol on this forum to identify yourself on a sig line if you are industry related...although, that doesn't apply to some people...;-)

I'm guessing that you are Debbie Fuller since we've received several emails and a phone call back in November, 2011 trying to get us to sign up...

"Hi,
I would like to introduce myself and our company, Slingshot Sports. We have been manufacturing Kite, Kiteboards and Wakeboards since 1999 and this year have launched a line of SUP's.   

Debbie Fuller / Slingshot SUP
Slingshot Sports
www.slingshotsports.com"

Wardog I am sorry that you feel we stole your IP.  but I am sure our two boards have many subtle difference.

Subtle?!?!
Oh, I get it...wide nose and FCS fins...;-)
The wide point radically back and handle placement more than gives it away...let alone the bottom contours...
You may not even be aware that the double leash plugs started with me...another of our "firsts"...;-)

Curious in that introductory email that you have a frame discussing Slingshot Intellectual Property...;-)

"You've never seen a board like the Space Pickle. 
An innovative design that enables high performance wave riding and high stoke levels."

Funny dat "innovative" part...same pronouncement that I made back in December of 2010...;-)

"You’ve seen the teasers…now, it’s time to reveal the Jammer…yet another innovative design collaboration between Art Colyer of North Pacific Surfboards, and myself…
This wide point back, high performance 8’6″ x 31.5″ is perhaps the most significant surfing SUP design change to come along in years…the volume is redistributed and jammed back into the tail where it is surfed and paddled…in regular surfing stance…amazing stability and maneuverability is achieved by a more efficient distribution of volume…"

Can you honestly look me (us) in the eye and say that you guys got the idea to enter the SUP market in 2012 with this "innovative", outside of the box design, after talking with a white salamander in White Salmon...or, however else you just happened to stumble upon it?...;-)

If you guys were influenced by the Jammer...please just admit it and move on...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SS_SUPer

• Waikiki Status
  • SS_SUP
    • View Profile
    • Slingshot Sports
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
Sorry I didn't ID myself on a sig line as I am not familiar with these forums.

You guys sure are a tough crowd.

Just trying to share the stoke and products with the community.

And yes I am the debbie that you mentioned.

Take care all.

You successfully chase me away.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard