Author Topic: New inflatable sup's?  (Read 165710 times)

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New inflatable sup's?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 08:26:48 AM »
My thoughts are that all the boards, except ULI, are supplied with pumps that can make 12 psi.  Anything more than that and even if you could push the handle down you would end up breaking it (just plastic). 

I checked out the new SUP K20 pump and it is similar to what I was talking about with using the K-100.  Use a high volume pump to get up to say 8psi and then switch to a low volume high pressure pump.  The problem I see with using the K20 pump for the entire process is that it does not have a twist on hose.  With the K pump they just sit on top of the valve and you push down against the board to hold it in place (or have someone hold it for you).  If you use the supplied crappy pump with your board and get it up to shape then it is easy to use the K-100 pump against the valve.

Just my experience.  Jill

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
I agree the handles are all pretty weak. My brother rigged a steel bar across the handle of the Starboard pump and it works pretty well.

That being said, i find the Starboard pump easy to get to 17 pounds. my old C4 was a lot more work.

Yesterday we had pretty stormy conditions and the Starboard performed great.
Corey

SupPat

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 05:26:25 PM »
I agree the handles are all pretty weak. My brother rigged a steel bar across the handle of the Starboard pump and it works pretty well.

That being said, i find the Starboard pump easy to get to 17 pounds. my old C4 was a lot more work.

Yesterday we had pretty stormy conditions and the Starboard performed great.
Corey

You got any pics of the starboard? The only ones I seem to find are from their website. Did it come with a paddle?

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
I did post some pics of it uninflated. Not the best pics lol.

I wish I had taken pics from yesterday, the conditions were fantastic! The biggest waves we have had for a while. It surfed great. I find with the width comes less flex. I can bury the needle( 17lbs) and it is hard as a rock.

I will try to post pics on the water soon. No paddle included. Nice bag though.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 06:00:19 PM »
Ps I am not normally a Starboard fan. I did not like some marketing they did in the past. This board is changing my mind.
Cheers,
Corey

SupPat

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
What are you using for a paddle? Sounds like the supplied pump with starboard is decent? Looking forward to the pics!

SupPat

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »
Just noticed that the Mana Air is selling for $1599 online. That seems a bit rich to me, is this what people are actually paying for this?

JayP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • supXscape
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »
The pump supplied with the RED Paddle Co boards is a brand called Bravo and I have no problems inflating the Red Air's to 20psi. Had a look at the Mana Air last week at a boat show and I'm sure there must of been something wrong as there was virtually no rocker and it just looked like a lilo with the corners rounded off - $1599  :o That's mental price!!!
supXscape Portugal

SupPat

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 06:30:40 AM »
The pump supplied with the RED Paddle Co boards is a brand called Bravo and I have no problems inflating the Red Air's to 20psi. Had a look at the Mana Air last week at a boat show and I'm sure there must of been something wrong as there was virtually no rocker and it just looked like a lilo with the corners rounded off - $1599  :o That's mental price!!!
I'm a newb to sup's and boards in general. If you don't mind me asking, what should I be looking at when it comes to the shape of the board and the rocker? The board will be used primarily in small surf on the east coast and some flat water lake paddling. I appreciate all the help, sorry if this is a dumb question. Just want to buy the right thing the first time, they are all a bit pricey!

DCW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
Hi,

I have tried the Mana Air 6". It's the way to go for any rider over 170lbs or any rider that wants to have fun, fun and more fun.

The 6" also offers more stiffness than the 4" which eliminates the sagging in the middle of the board and giving it unnecessary rocker when touring or surfing.

They are a bit pricey but if I am a 2 miles offshore the last thing I want is a cheap inflatable.

DCW

JayP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • supXscape
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »
I'm a newb to sup's and boards in general. If you don't mind me asking, what should I be looking at when it comes to the shape of the board and the rocker? The board will be used primarily in small surf on the east coast and some flat water lake paddling. I appreciate all the help, sorry if this is a dumb question. Just want to buy the right thing the first time, they are all a bit pricey!

SUP Pat Not sure if they're available in the US yet but pound for pound in Europe the RED's www.redpaddleco.com are unbeatable in use and price point! The RRP is €775 for the 10'6
supXscape Portugal

SwellSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 06:38:43 AM »
SupPat

I took it out today at around 15psi. Took some pictures of me and each one of my daughters on it with me. So that is 160 + 75 and 160 + 90. Paddled straight and wasn't too flexy. (will post later to tonight) Still though, it needs another 5 psi or so. It has little rocker but it is pretty solid and for knee or thigh high mush in south Florida (not sure where your at) it would work fine. For waist high low tide sandbar, your probably looking at another board all together. I would even say an epoxy board at that point.

Where are you located?

The red paddle boards are not available in the US. I have been talking to the owners via email to find  out when and if they will have anybody. Taking to them about purchasing a demo board, but for now a qty of one shipped to me in Miami is 175 dollars from Aus. Would like to test one out before I commit to a large qty.

SupPat

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 06:52:49 AM »
SupPat

I took it out today at around 15psi. Took some pictures of me and each one of my daughters on it with me. So that is 160 + 75 and 160 + 90. Paddled straight and wasn't too flexy. (will post later to tonight) Still though, it needs another 5 psi or so. It has little rocker but it is pretty solid and for knee or thigh high mush in south Florida (not sure where your at) it would work fine. For waist high low tide sandbar, your probably looking at another board all together. I would even say an epoxy board at that point.

Where are you located?

Sounds good, looking forward to the pics. I am on the east coast, Philadelphia area. Board will be used at the jersey shore, Ocean city md, outer banks, myrtle beach and Florida. These are the places we frequent the most. We have a motor home  and tow a jeep and it will be nice to just toss the board in the back wherever we go. My family has a house on a lake in PA where I plan on doing some paddling on flat water as well. So I'm just trying to find a nice all around inflatable board. I appreciate all the help!

The red paddle boards are not available in the US. I have been talking to the owners via email to find  out when and if they will have anybody. Taking to them about purchasing a demo board, but for now a qty of one shipped to me in Miami is 175 dollars from Aus. Would like to test one out before I commit to a large qty.

SupPat

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »
Ps I am not normally a Starboard fan. I did not like some marketing they did in the past. This board is changing my mind.
Cheers,
Corey

What did you end up paying for the starboard?

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »
I have paddled both the 4" and the 6" Naish as well as the Starboard Astro 10'0" - even surfing the Starboard this past Sunday in our wave pool.

The 6" Naish is designed for heavier riders (200+) and it works well for that size of paddler.  My 120 lbs. son found it to "corky" for his liking - but I liked it fine.

The Camber in the Starboard made it great to paddle in flat water - and really helped to get ride of the banana effect that many other inflatables seem to have. 
I found no issues with the nose pearling when surfing it (and our wave pool waves a very short and steep.

The Starboard does not come with a paddle (I find most "thrown in" paddles to be not as good as somethign you would buy).  The Starboard pump is an aluminum shaft with a plastic handle and I have no problems getting it to 15+ lbs of pressure.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard