Author Topic: Inflatable SUP advice?  (Read 18474 times)

SUP_Gabster

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Inflatable SUP advice?
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
I'm looking into buying an inflatable SUP as a second board.  Mainly due to space limitations (I only have room for one board in my storage unit and a board wont fit in my teeny tiny elevator).  

What are your favorite brands?  I've seen a wide range of prices (from $400 to $1200) and frankly I'm at a loss as to which are the best in terms of quality and reputation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

peace,

G

bootesta

• Rincon Status
    • MSN Messenger - Dr.loritesta@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inflatable SUP advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
I've tried several brands and own a ULI and C4.  The ULI is by far more durable.  The C4 is very fun, but the handle and pump broke and the pad is starting to peel off.  The ULI and C4 customer service are both top notch.  My brother has a samoa and hasn't had any issues yet ( owned for 2 years).
Starboard 7’4 Airborne carbon
Starboard 7’1 Pro carbon

SUP_Gabster

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Good to know about the Samoa.

I was also looking at the Advanced Elements Hula 11 Inflatable Paddle Board.  Have you heard anything about them?

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »
I just picked up an inflatable 10 foot Hobie Drifter at the Surf Expo....Looks nice and well constructed. Comes with a fairly good quality 3-piece paddle. I haven't had a chance to try it yet since it was a display model and Hobie is shipping me the pump and removable center fin. I will do a post with a review after I get a chance to try it.....TDE

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
Hi,

I bought a Starboard Astro whopper and love it! Very rigid, true nose & tail rocker, and quality pad. It has camber built into the shape so you do not get that banana effect. I bought it for surfing choppy wind blown slop ( almost the only local waves I get ). 35 inches of width is great for this.
I had a 10,6 C4 and like the Starboard way more. I found the C4 tippy for my weight of 193lbs while surfing.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
I have an ULI 10' Steamroller.  Top quality, surfs and paddles well, bomb proof. 

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »
I love my C4 ISUP 10'6".  The pump does feel a bit cheap but haven't had any issues in 2 years.  I've bumped the board into countless rocks - sometimes very hard - on the Potomac River and it's held up very well, just some small nicks on the fins.
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

doggy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Kitesurfing lessons camber
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:08:52 PM »
Check out Red Paddle Co, they are brilliant, really good quality and very rigid. Also they have a couple of extra sizes out for 2012.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:40 PM »
I just picked up an inflatable 10 foot Hobie Drifter at the Surf Expo....Looks nice and well constructed. Comes with a fairly good quality 3-piece paddle. I haven't had a chance to try it yet since it was a display model and Hobie is shipping me the pump and removable center fin. I will do a post with a review after I get a chance to try it.....TDE
Hobies quality and customer service in everything they have ever done is second to none.

Time for SUPper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
Good to know about the Samoa.

I was also looking at the Advanced Elements Hula 11 Inflatable Paddle Board.  Have you heard anything about them?

I got the Hulu on a deep discount at REI.  It's definitely durable, but it doesn't hold its shape particularly well.  When I hop on, the board gets a bit "U" shaped.  It's also got a slight twist from front to back.  For the price, and with the REI guarantee, it's not a bad play board though.

SwellSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
I picked up the Naish Mana Air 6" at the surf expo.  Going to give it a try tomorrow and this weekend with two people on it.  I am only 160 so it should work no problems.  Let you know.

Going to use this as a demo board for our soon to be shop.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
Inflatables come and go most with poor results, but one constant has been the positive reviews of the ULIs.  In my opinion they are the best, very durable (bombproof), good shapes and quality accessories (pump, paddle). I haven't ridden an inflatable yet that surfs well, but for flat water or small waves the Ulis work great.  Fits in a duffle bag and perfect for travel. Pricey but worth it

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
The first paddleboard I paddled was an ULI. I borrowed a 15' ULI from a friend of mine, and used it almost every other day for months. Got my 'sea legs' on that board/raft. I'd get a mile off shore and think" if this thing deflated I be a goner. I eventually got an epoxy race board which I could paddle faster. I liked the durability of the ULI so I bought a 'Steamroller' model. It's a great 2nd or 3rd (or in my case 5th) board to let the kids and friends play on. It also makes a nice cushiony spacer for my roof rack between my race board and my all arounder. I actually think the ULI's paddle very nice, and are very stable. My feet never go to sleep paddling while paddling my ULI, and you can drop it off your car rack without doing any harm.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

dan.j

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »
+ `1 for the RED air, they are used in our school and can take a huge beating. the REda ir guys drive cars over theirs throw it off buildings and generally try to wreck it, students do the same.

If you pump it right 15psi its as rigid as anything inflatable will get. surfs ok as well.

More opinions though no real answers sorry

rcfa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »
My first SUP boards were two ULIs .... A Steamroller and a GL X2. Since them I have purchased other regular (epoxy and carbon) boards.
Of course Inflatables and Regular boards are very different in many SUP aspects.

Although I have not tested "any" other Inflatables on the market ... I can only provide information about the ULIs, and all the pros about the quality and durability have already been posted here.
They are bullet proof and I pump my to 18+ PSI, which I do not see on the specs of the other inflatables. ???

What I can add to this topic are 2 pictures of my Uli in action.... They are NOT AS "Mr. Steamroller" action shots, but they can help to illustrate the points above !  ;)

I have sold the Steamroller in 2010. But I kept the GL X2 as part of my SUP quiver.
But I am always on the lookout for the new ULI board products in case I want to add a different board to my quiver.

Have fun out there !
Ren

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal