Author Topic: Kalama and Naish part ways....  (Read 13599 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Kalama and Naish part ways....
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:23:38 AM »
Just saw this, maybe it's been posted already.....things are always changing for sure....I wonder what Dave has planned next?

http://www.surfersvillage.com/surfing/54736/news.htm
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kalama and Naish part ways....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
Maybe an exclusive package with KeNalu wherein he wears the new KeNalu sunglasses that never fog, streak or fall off, the KeNalu compression trunks that completely eliminate shrinkage, the KeNalu Nor'easter 1 mil wetsuit that keeps you warm down to zero degrees Celsius, and the KeNalu reef booties that keep your feet from getting mangled, give you the same sensation as bare feet but don't make you look like a tourist from Wales.  Powered by psychics... Because he knows want you want before you do!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
 I just found out myself at the Surf Expo. Our booth (Aerotech/Epic) was directly across from the Naish booth. During a lull in the traffic, I was talking with MJ Reese. She confirmed that Dave had decided to seek other options...  I wish him luck as he has a whole lot of options to choose from...    Paddle on Dave;       JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
Dave still has all of his other sponsors (including Easy Rider and QuickBlade).
I am sure he will "land on his feet" so to speak.

All the best to Dave.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »
It would be interesting to figure out the reasons. I guess he was a little in the shade of Lenny?

Either way he is an awesome rider, and he has a positive influence where ever he goes :-) 

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kalama and Naish part ways....
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
Maybe bringing back his classic Southpoint model? ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
I talked with Dave this morning--I was doing a reverse Maliko on my Bullet (actually an up and back, and I turned around at Ho'okipa) and he was out teaching someone to surf at Tavares. We shot the breeze a little while. The Naish thing is typical biz--you grow together or you grow apart. Time to do something else.

As far as Ke Nalu goes, Dave has a relationship with Quickblade and Jim Terrell that goes way back. Dave and I are friends, but when he looks at my paddles he handles them like they're going to give him smallpox. And I NEVER ask him what he thinks of them. I don't expect that to change.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:04:50 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
I find it weird that a company would announce a split.

Wouldn't it make more sense to let the Kalama effect sell as much product as possible until such time as Dave or new sponsor media machine communicate his new association or project to the market????

Not that I think this is the case but usually things like this are reserved for companies trying to distance themselves from an athlete to limit the amount of damage being done to the company.

Usually annoucements like this are made by the athlete or the new sponsor to communicate the new and exciting project they are working on now.  The original sponsor let's the product sell for as long as possible on their name.

Is it strange or just how it's done in the Sail industry?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:22:58 PM by CMC »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
It is weird, but my guess would be they simply thought that was what they should do. Companies handle announcements as if there were some requirement for disclosure instead of managing news as a tactic. A good PR agency would have spiked that release with the simple question that any manager should ask: "How does this benefit us"? or the same question in a different way: "Why are we doing this"?

The questions are rarely asked and when they are, the answers are often goofy. My hard and fast rule is that if the best reason anyone can come up with is "because that's how it's always done" then I don't do it. And I start examining other performance aspects of that someone.

When Mark Martin stopped racing for Valvoline the Valvoline PR guy did a long, involved release that made all parties sound as dumb as a box of rocks. My friend Barney showed it to me and we both nearly died laughing (he had tried to talk them out of it). Valvoline spent about 40 million on NASCAR over the course of seven years and killed all the value in one day with a press release.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:43:49 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
 I thought Dave was an awesome representative for Naish. Weird year for the company: Chuck joins, Kai Lenny wins, Iggy dies, new rep. group starts, and now Dave leaves.
That's a lot of stuff going on for one year.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »
Don't forget the odd price increases that they decided to spring on people as an announcement. I never considered price increases to be something you announced. You hope people don't notice them. Better yet, slide them in gradually.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
Funny, I edited that from my post. Its hard not to notice that kind of jump.
The annoying trade show question: Is that retail or wholesale?
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

soulpaddler

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
I don't see this having a huge effect on Naish, but I'm curious to see where Dave goes from here.  This could turn out to be interesting.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
Ride on DK

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
Maybe an exclusive package with KeNalu wherein he wears the new KeNalu sunglasses that never fog, streak or fall off, the KeNalu compression trunks that completely eliminate shrinkage, the KeNalu Nor'easter 1 mil wetsuit that keeps you warm down to zero degrees Celsius, and the KeNalu reef booties that keep your feet from getting mangled, give you the same sensation as bare feet but don't make you look like a tourist from Wales.  Powered by psychics... Because he knows want you want before you do!

Good one Mr. Leper.
Made me laugh, which is sometimes had to do on this forum.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal