Author Topic: Down-winding the new 12'6" Glide.  (Read 2303 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Down-winding the new 12'6" Glide.
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:53:25 AM »
Today I took a shops demo 12'6" x 30" Glide on our down-winder... It went very well.. so I bought one..  :)

Here's a vid from todays run.. My friend PT was on his new 12'6" Starboard.

DJ

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Down-winding the new 12'6" Glide.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:24:57 AM »
Nice..........

You're obviously suffering the effects of too much sun and nice summer weather  ;D

David S.

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
Love the ending DJ! Got your salt replenishments for the day?  ;D. Was PT riding the new SB Ace Pro?
Congrats on the new quiver! So tell us, how well the 12'6 glides compared to the 14'? Interested to hear more about what you think of your new board. Cheers ;)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
No that's just the 27.5" Race.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
Great video guys, looks like you were having a blast.

So, don't leave us readers hanging, which board was the "winner?"

Thanks,
Scott

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:20 PM »
Great video guys, looks like you were having a blast.

So, don't leave us readers hanging, which board was the "winner?"

Thanks,
Scott

Our DW'ers are not a race but I think PT spent more time waiting for me to catch up rather than me waiting for him.. He's a bit of an energizer bunny and I'm an old fart that just wants to have fun.. Besides that I would say the narrower Starboard is the quicker board.

I had a great DW'er today.. More wind.. I used my 14 with the high mount tripod.. I think I got some good vid.

DJ

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »
Yes DJ and I go about downwinders quite differently. DJ reads the water and waits for the perfect set to get the longest glide whereas I try to milk every little bump. We were pretty much together for the first 2 or 3 miles, then we spread apart and weren't riding the same bumps. Without a doubt, the Starboard size os best for my weight and the Naish suits DJ. I think I've seen enough of this new Naish board to say it's a terrific size for big guys and it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole debate over 12'6" vs 14' as stock class. A strong, heavier paddler on a Naish Glide 30" can easily compete with and beat a light weight on a 27" board if he's good enough.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
Guys, I was merely stirring up a little controversy.  Its not good form to run down someone else's favorite board on a forum, and you are both smart enough to not take the bait.  I read between the lines of what is written to try to get an idea of what you like AND dislike about a particular board.

For me, I just don't want a board that I feel is impeding my paddling.  The boards we have now I am very happy with.  But we are looking for a 12'6 or 14' and with so many options (and not as many boards available to demo), I try to glean what I can through this forum.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal