Author Topic: Naish Mana 9'0" or Starboard Converse  (Read 13186 times)

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Naish Mana 9'0" or Starboard Converse
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
Ok, I am down to these 2 boards for a board to learn to surf on.  I am 5'7" 110 lbs and paddle frequently in the open ocean but do not surf (never have).  Will surf at San O or Doho on small days to learn.

I can get last years Naish Mana 9'0" and last years Starboard Converse for the exact same price.  The new Starboard Converse will be about $400 more (I do not believe the 9'0" Mana has changed any so 2011 should be good).  I can demo a Converse but not a Mana.  The Mana 9'0" and the Starboard Converse have almost the same specs

Mana 9')              Converse
Length            9'0"                      9'0"
Width             29 5/8"                  30"
Depth               4"                       4.1"
Vol                  140L                   137L
Weight            19 lbs                 21.5 lbs  (these are weights reported by the company so they could be off)

Let me know what you think of either boards.  I like the 30" wide Converse but looking at the pictures the Mana holds its width a little longer.  I ride a Naish Catalina race board and love how it catches small swells. Also I love the 19 lbs (if that is true).

Thanks, Jill

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Mana 9'0" or Starboard Converse
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
i think you should go with smaller board. i weight 170 and i ride a very similiar deminsion board.  Plus you have a lot of ocean SUP experience, so balancing and paddling is not an issue for you.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
Naish Mana 9'0, the best women's board ever! My wife on one. If that Mana has the newer style handle, don't even consider hauling a board with those other handles. ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:40:31 PM by DW »

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
Jillride

I hope you get a board you like you always give great advise. I would go with what DW says he seems to be the guru. I have a starboard 9'8 and surfed it in some big waves it surfed good and it seems well built i have moved on to a smaller board but my kids still play with the starboard. I think you have two good choices nice job.

Good luck

careful surfing will totally mess up your race training just to much fun.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
DW, I know what you mean about the handle.  My Catalina has the "ledge" handle and I love it!

The Mana looks to have a little more rocker than the Converse, but looks can be deceiving.  Anyone have any idea which one is more stable?

Jill

soulpaddler

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
I only have experience with the mana, so out of the two, that is the one that I would recommend.  The Mana is a great surfable board, and will be something that you'll still get a lot of use out of after you get better.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
DW, I know what you mean about the handle.  My Catalina has the "ledge" handle and I love it!

The Mana looks to have a little more rocker than the Converse, but looks can be deceiving.  Anyone have any idea which one is more stable?

Jill

Stability is not an issue. I've never seen a women struggle on the Mana. The rocker is beginner friendly for those learning to surf.

Jim

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
Jill, my Mana 9' weighs 23lbs with the fins in, so I think the Naish website info is wrong, do others agree ?
Mine is Bamboo (China) does anyone have a pine (Cobra) one or are they all Bamboo ?
I remember reading that the Cobra boards are slightly lighter.

bean

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 06:19:06 AM »
I dont see how you could go wrong with either board.  One more to consider is the the 9' Coreban Fusion; also a super stable 9 footer. 

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
I just picked up a 2011 Naish Mana 9'0" and from a quick paddle around the bay, I can tell that this board will surf no problem.  I weight 155, so at your weight you should be able to paddle circles around me.  The Naish has a much deeper carry handle then the Starboard which is a huge plus.  And the China produced Naish is every bit as good as the Thai Starboards.  Naish boards seem surfier then Starboards, the rails are more refined and that little bit less width will make a difference in every turn.  The 2011 at a sale price is a slamming deal, don't miss it!

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »
p.s.  You also get a nice board bag with the Naish.  And the bamboo fins are awesome. 

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:01:26 PM »
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
I got mine new for less...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »
Jill,

I agree with DW I've never had a women struggle on a Mana 9Ft. That Craigslist is close enough to you and if it is in "pristine" condition that is a great price (remember to get the bag too) a 2012 would be more

I say go for the Craigslist Mana 9FT

have fun!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

bootesta

• Rincon Status
    • MSN Messenger - Dr.loritesta@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
Jill, you may want to consider a smaller board.  I weigh 130 and  learned on a board that is 10' X 28" and found it to be way to big to manuever.  I quicky went to a 9 x 25" (115L) board and still felt like I wanted to go even smaller for more manueverability.  I'm currently down to 7'3 x 28" (105L)which is perfect for me.  Both of the boards you mentioned will be good to learn on but I wonder, due to your athleticism, if you would be better served on a smaller board.  You don't weigh much and should be able to float with no problem on a board that is 105-115 liters.
Starboard 7’4 Airborne carbon
Starboard 7’1 Pro carbon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal