Author Topic: Any advice for my first race?  (Read 3882 times)

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any advice for my first race?
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
So my buddy has convinced me to do the Hanohano-huki Ocean Channlenge here in San Diego in a couple weeks. was a last minute thing, and I guess I am going to do it! Ive never been in a race before, and recent;y picked up my board from Infinity on new year's eve. If I do it, it will be the distance course, the 9 miler.

Have no expectations at all, just want to have fun and don't want to come in last place! Other than that I am not expecting anything else. I've just been going out and doing 4-6 mile open ocean paddles in all different conditions. Hoping to get one or two long paddles in before the race. I also need to learn how to buoy turn that big 14' board before the race!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Any advice for my first race?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »
hydrate and fuel up b4 race
watch Ching videos
5 Hour Energy
go with the lion approach-locate and stalk the weakest racer-pounce at the end when they r tired! :D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »
watch Ching videos
5 Hour Energy
go with the lion approach-locate and stalk the weakest racer-pounce at the end when they r tired! :D

what if i end up being the weakest racer?!

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:02 PM »
i've been watching danny ching and dave kalama videos and really have been concentrating on my stroke lately as well.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »
ODJ

First off, SUPs have always been limited to the short course.  Not really sure why but all the winter outrigger series are this way.  So you will be doing 5 miles in Mission Bay.  Pretty straight forward course for a 14' board and you will not be the last one.  The start will be insane, but hang in there and it will settle down.  Best advice I could give for that race is practice drafting.  Only one turn so everyone drafts to the turn and back to the start.  Last year they did not even have a rule against drafting out of your class.  

The winter series is really fun. Check out all the races at http://www.eteamz.com/SoCalOceanRacing/

Have Fun, Jill

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »
watch Ching videos
5 Hour Energy

what if i end up being the weakest racer?!
Complain loudly during the last part of the race when you r sure you are in last-carry on about stomach cramps-lack of hydration-blame the conditions-youre board-your paddle-talk about your recent spine replacement surgery etc..
classic tactic-deflect and blame baby! ;D
Aw come on youll b fine!
And you can always pay me entry fee thus guaranteeing you wont be last! ::)

Glider

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »
All the above, have the right board, paddle for you skill level & category, and copy the leaders technic.  It's easy to do from behind.  Don't over dress, you probably won't get to wet and you will be warm.

Try to practice in the same conditions your race will be in if possible. 

Its lots of fun

Good luck !

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
thanks for the advice and support! lately i've just been wearing board shorts and my GPS so i don't think i have to worry about overdressing!

i have had spine surgery (double discectomy and double hemi-laminectomy) so i will definitely be complaining the entire time!

(i paddled 5 miles today and have to say, i am a bit relieved that i won't be doing the 9 mile course!) there was a guy out there on some kind of big 'ole high performance looking kayak and he passed me and i did my darndest to try and catch up with him but to no avail!

i started paddling out from Oceanside harbor going north but once i passed the harbor/jetty wall and came up on the military base i have to say i got a bit creeped out and turned around and just did an out and back to the pier! that seems to be my regular route now, then once i get back into the harbor i do some short sprints and work on form.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
You can spend hours practicing buoy turns only to find that there's a logjam at the buoy and no amount of technique will help as other boards crash into you. It sounds like the race won't be won and lost at the buoy, so I'd spend the time practicing race starts, draughting and building stamina.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
You can spend hours practicing buoy turns only to find that there's a logjam at the buoy and no amount of technique will help as other boards crash into you. It sounds like the race won't be won and lost at the buoy, so I'd spend the time practicing race starts, draughting and building stamina.

interesting. i wonder how many boards actually get damaged during these races. i don't baby my equipment my any means, but it would suck to get my brand new carbon fiber infinity board gouged by some kook...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
I'm working on an eBook for Ke Nalu about SUP racing, but it's a ways from being finished. Here's some articles:

http://www.kenalu.com/race-ready-prepping-for-sup-races-part-1/

http://www.kenalu.com/race-ready-part-2-gear-and-prep/

http://www.kenalu.com/race-ready-part-3-race-day/

http://www.kenalu.com/race-ready-part-4-after-the-partys-over/

I'm racing tomorrow. The most important thing is to enjoy the ride.

Here's a few other tips though. Everyone says a two hour race isn't won at the start. Bullshit. Get as good a start as you can manage. If it's a buoy start, don't be in the middle--one end or the other, usually the outside end is preferable.

At the start move a little more to the outside unless you find the perfect person to draft right away. All those boards and paddles make turbulence. You want smooth water. You'll find in immediately behind someone in their draft or off to the side.

Look for bumps. Even a micro-swell is faster than no swell. give a little burst of power when a swell lifts the tail of your board and you'll catch some glide. Do that once and it's no big deal. Do it 500 times and you'll be less tired than the guy right in front of you who is gutting it out.

It's hard to pass people on a SUP. Your differential speed is .2 MPH -- maybe. Come up right behind them, in their six, and then do what Dave Kalama preaches in "Possessed" http://www.davidkalama.com/2011/03/possessed/  Start to breath a little deeper and faster, then clean up your reach and catch, then pick up your cadence a little, then add a tiny bit more power. You pass on a full head of steam and with good form. Your enemy will flail to catch you, toast themselves, and fall way back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »

^^^^this.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 07:35:28 PM »
Go hard at the beginning. Find a group  to hang with and trade drafts. Hydrate. 9 miles is good length , hydrate and know the half way point to judge your fitness. Have fun.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
Go hard at the beginning. Find a group  to hang with and trade drafts. Hydrate. 9 miles is good length , hydrate and know the half way point to judge your fitness. Have fun.

i guess the 9 mile course is not open to SUP, so i will be doing the 4 mile course.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
So you will need to go balls out from the start.  The first mile should be at your limit.  Then settle into a rythm for a couple of miles.  Then go for broke to collapse at the finish.  Then have a beer or two.

Good luck, have fun!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal