Author Topic: Did the Rusty ad kill the Boardworks SUP?  (Read 24553 times)

soulpaddler

Re: Did the Rusty ad kill the Boardworks SUP?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 05:33:39 PM »
I didn't mean to stir the pot so much, and offer apologies to all.  Perhaps I should have focused more on the Boardworks brand instead, as that was the initial question, but I figured that the ad may have had something to do with it.  The shop also carries the PSH boardworks models, and they have been a rather good seller.  A different design and a different board, but also a different name.  It could just be the area and that those boards work better for where we're at.  Sorry that it took so many posts to clear up the original question.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:12 PM »
Soul, you could avoid all this nonsense and go with a good local custom shaper I could recommend...
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

StuBro

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »
Hey Cardiff Sweeper, here's a photo from that swell just 200 yards South of the Swami's lineup on Saturday.  Is this you?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:55:31 PM by StuBro »

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
I wish it were me!  That's such a sweet photo, I'd make it my profile pic and avatar for everything if it were me right now. 
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »
Cardiff: Then again, why do 99% of Sup'ers abandon their barges when it's six feet and churning?

I don't get that. The bigger it is the more I want to be on a SUP. More speed, more control. more certainty of catching that big buggah and not winding up wobbling around in the impact zone. I don't know about others, but when I drop into a DOH wave I've got to be on a SUP.

Rockbottom--Superfreaks all the way, Of the perhaps 30+ boardshorts I own 25 are Superfreaks. The five that aren't never get worn.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 11:32:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2012, 05:44:16 AM »
Bill - I'm surprised you would still wear superfreaks, seeing as how the O'neill brand is owned by the same people that own Rusty clothing.  ;D

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »
Superfreaks are nice but I prefer the Hurley P60 line.  Stretchier.

Plus, Oneill is part of La Jolla group if you are inclined to avoid the parent company.

NB posted in wrong thread earlier

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
how the heck do you guys keep track of the parent company that makes your boardies?
Ok so im hoping La Jolla guys dont make Vans boardies cuz i got every checkerd pair they make!
If they do-well, gotta admit im gonna buy more when i need to, SFreaks are great and so are Phantoms but oh my the $$$!!
Never will buy anything Rdot, never really did.
PSH and also Infinity are Boardworks guys-i dont have a boardworks board but i have seen lots of them and they look great and appear to be a solid company, i am lucky to live near Infinity and all my boards are custom through them-Full Disclosure-yes my son rides for them and i get nice discount!
If this were not the case i would probably have ended up on one due to so many here and their solid boards and reputation. Had a great Nectar before my son rode for Infninty and got it cuz i got a killer deal from a buddy that owns shop and is friends with Gary. Location and prior surfing experience and bias play key roles in what sup you eventually get-do a little research-buy and ride boards from someone you like-be respectful but dont be a pushover either and have fun. If you can-go local and support your local shaper if you like the boards-if not-but one from Warren!-or Wardog!-uh or the guy up in Washington!, or Corran!, uh lets see who did i leave out....
Im with you Pono-the bigger it is the more i am frothing to get out on a SUP-getting into a large wave nice and early-the visual angle you get-using the paddle-its all so damn fun! :D
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »
Bill - I'm surprised you would still wear superfreaks, seeing as how the O'neill brand is owned by the same people that own Rusty clothing.  ;D

Oh damn. Oh well, perhaps the cruelest punishment I could mete out is for them to see my fat ass in their boardshorts.

"Honey, do these Superfreaks make me look fat?'

"No, it's all that food you eat that does that".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »
The problem I have with buying O'Neill Freaks is that they fit so good. I only bought two pair last summer. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »

"Honey, do these Superfreaks make me look fat?'

I'll have to add that last line to the list of things I need to remember but probably would be smart to not say.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Boardies?.... Gotta be OG Katins!

Old School

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
I agree.  Hurley Phantom 60s are the way to go.  They got it right.  Perfect fit, stretchy and stylish.  You can get great deals on the 6pm.com website. Deals so good I almost felt guilt buying at that price.
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

BigSlaveDave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
Oh Man, I was just checking out the prices of Rusty SUPs because a local shop has them pretty cheap.  This thread came up in my search. I had no idea about this ad deal.  I wanted the 10' 4" as a big wave board for the sloppy conditions in Norcal.

So will you guys yell at me if I buy one? I've just made the half century mark for surfing and one thing remains the same:  Surfers are kooks......they even made up the name.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal