Author Topic: Conner's style  (Read 26480 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Conner's style
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
I think Dick Fosbury's odd technique is pretty much viewed today as a flop.   ;D

Anytime somebody in any sport uses unconventional technique, there's always a debate whether they'd be better if they didn't.  (At least if they're successful--if they use weird technique and aren't good, there's no debate.) 

But it seems like that debate can drop way off once they're established and adults, and sometimes pretty quickly.  I remember people were shocked by the Fosbury Flop, but it got adopted pretty quickly by a lot of people, and I don't remember many people saying he'd be better if he didn't do it.  Same with Brian Oldfield, the shot putter who spun around completely--not a lot of criticism, but on the other hand fewer adaptees. 

In swimming, almost every swimmer of every age switched from a standard, feet-together dive several years ago and adapted a "track start", but now a lot have switched back after there's been a chance to analyze the pros and cons. 

So my guess is Conner Baxter's stroke will tighten up and lose some inefficiencies.  It may end up less unconventional, but still different than what people view as a conventional stroke today.  By then there will be lots of people who've been using technique like his from early on, and some will be very fast, and the result will be the "standard stroke" may drift over to something that looks a little more like his than it does today. 

And in the meantime there may be someone else coming along who's even faster, and uses an even more different stroke, or maybe a purely conventional stroke, and that will influence things too.

My guess is that with more women paddling, the biggest change in the standard stroke will be a greater emphasis on generating power from the  body--legs, hips, core--and from rhythm, instead of from arms and shoulder strength.  Women are already paddling like that, and it's bound to influence even the strongest men.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »
For those who are asking who the hell is Dick Fosbury?;

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1160029/1/index.htm

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
Watching in slo-mo, I can see you're right.  Way too much water comes off the paddle at the exit, he looks like he's going to get good reach at the entry, but doesn't sink the paddle until later, and his pulling arm is bent.  I wonder why he was using that stroke, and if he's thinking of changing to it.  His own stroke is so effective it's making everyone question assumptions.

I guess there's no way to combine the elements of the two styles?  Is rotation completely incompatible with "hinging" of the hips and knees to get a straight-back pull? 

If you can find some viedo pf Annabel she uses both.  Her technique is very focused on making use of the big muscles in the legs and core. The legs are primarily using hinge but there is aso a lot of hip rotation

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
Re:  Annabel's Reverse Conner Grip
Today, in mildly sloppy conditions, I tried this a few times.  IMO, this almost automatically puts the blade further from the board.  Which in the conditions she appears to be in, may keep the paddle from bouncing into the board and provide just a little more stability.  I know she is good.  So, I'm not criticizing.  The hands are in sort of a kayak style position.  I did find it hard to apply much power.   She must find this useful in certain situations. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill