Author Topic: Dry Suit Recommendation...Kokatat Gore-Tex Lightweight Paddling Suit?  (Read 10831 times)

mountain sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Home Lodge
    • Email
With winter upon us here in the Pacific Northwest (Central Washington State) I have begun looking into a dry suit for paddling here on the Columbia River.  We see water temps in the high 30's to low 40's and air temps that can range from mid 30's down to single digits.  The Kokatat Gore-Tex Lightweight Paddling Suit (http://www.kokatat.com/activity/stand-up-paddling/gore-text-lightweight-paddling-suit-men.html) looks like a good option.  Can anyone comment on this suit or others for SUP'n especially on flatwater.  One concern I have is over heating. I am hopeful that the Gore-Tex will help rather then a traditional wetsuit.  I am new to sport and this will be my first winter paddle. Thanks!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Dry Suit Recommendation...Kokatat Gore-Tex Lightweight Paddling Suit?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
They work great. You will not overheat. You can actually feel the wind blowing through the goretex suit keeping you cool. Proof it breathes a lot.

On really cold windy days, I wore wind blocking polar tech under it.

coolhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
I have this suit for winter paddling up in Vancouver, and it is great for keeping you cool. Just like DW says, you can feel the wind blow right thru the gortex. Most of the time, I just wear my summer boardies and a t shirt under it. When it gets colder, I just add more layers underneath.

The integrated socks and the neoprene neck seal mean the only latex seals on the suit are the wrists. This makes it a lot easier to put on and take off, and it's also more comfortable to wear (neoprene neck seals are not as tight as latex).

For flatwater stand up paddling, this is probably the best drysuit on the market.

Coolhead

mountain sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Home Lodge
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply, that's great info and I plan to order mine tomorrow.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »
I'd look at the Ocean Rodeo Drysuit offerings. They are MUCH more durable for what we do as opposed to the Kokatat We
've had a bunch of Kokatats fail over the yeras and NO Ocean Rodeo's fail

Oh yeah the Ocean Rodeo's are MUCH less expensive.

In Kokatats defense I must say they warrantied the suits that did fail but with the same design. Kokatat is a good company but a Drysuit failure can be fatal.

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
Got my wife one of these suits last year, they made a limited number of women specific suits, she loves it and I definite have suit envy. We only flat water paddle or do a a bit of down winding but for us these suits are perfect. My only complaint id Kokatat will not retrofit the goretex boots or  neoprene next seal on my non Kokatat suit. Any one know where I can get this done.
Mike

kabeth

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
Which ever suit you decide on get one with a relief zipper. I have an OS Systems the made well and take alot of abuse.

coolhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »
I forgot to mention that this suit comes with a relief zipper, definitely a must have feature :)

Coolhead

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
yep, that's the new suit I'm saving up for. you'll love it.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

mountain sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Home Lodge
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:34:21 PM »
Thanks again for the detailed reviews.  Mine should arrive mid week, hope to get out for a test and post a review.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
Hey, regarding all the things I have heard about dry suits being uncomfortable at the gasket around your neck.....what do you guys that use them think about that?  I simply hate cold water and have wanted to invest in a good suit but don't want to feel like I'm being choked either.

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
latex gaskets definitely take an adjustment period for most people. The neoprene neck gasket on the Lightweight Paddling Suit, and some others, are much more comfortable, if not quite as dry. With that said, they're fine for most calmer-water paddling environments, and what I've used for the last several years for kayaking and stand-up.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »
but don't want to feel like I'm being choked either.

The neck seals have rings on them. The rings are there to help you cut the seal straight. You have to cut the seal to make it fit your neck. Then its comfortable. For those too scared to cut the seal on an $800 suit, you must keep on choking  ;)  ;D

The latex seals loosen with age, so don't cut it too loose.

If you use the suit a lot, you'll be sending it back every 2 years for a full set of seal replacement anyway. 3 years is the longest a suit has latest me before the seals started blowing out.

These guys replace the seals and send the suit back looking brand new. http://www.drysuit-repair.com/wp/

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:28:57 AM by DW »

mountain sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Home Lodge
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »
Update...I had a chance to try my new Kokatat Gore-Tex suit, here are a few thoughts along with a short poor man's video.

I was surprised at how light the suit is.  Its very maneuverable, I am 6'0" tall, weight 175 and a Large seems just right.  On the days I have been out the air temp has been in the low 30's, water temp upper 30's.  Under the dry suit I wear Patagonia R1 fleece and that seems just right.  After paddling for an hour or so, I have generated a light sweat and don't feel uncomfortable.  The suit does breathe and gives a sense of protection plus comfort. No leaks and I don't find the neck line too tight or uncomfortable.  My neck is large at 17".  I was hesitant to spend this much money ($700.00+) on something that I thought I would use a few times a season, but this really makes paddling enjoyable in the middle of JanuarySUP Dry Suit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal