Author Topic: Bootie recommendations?  (Read 6192 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Bootie recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 05:53:46 PM »
Whatever boots you get add some wool socks if necessary. Wool is warm wet or dry and makes a big difference. My Mom even knit me a pair of split toe wool socks... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »
Wool does work great.  I don't have booties yet, so just wear my old running shoes or Crocs with wool socks--feet stay warm even when soaked. 

supvenice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 02:12:31 PM »
anyone use the vibram five finger flow?  they are low top vibrams but made with neoprene - made for hiking/jogging through snow or icy water.  about twice as much as your average surf bootie but i wonder if they're worth it

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 09:21:27 PM »
anyone use the vibram five finger flow?  they are low top vibrams but made with neoprene - made for hiking/jogging through snow or icy water.  about twice as much as your average surf bootie but i wonder if they're worth it

I love the feel of them. They keep my feet from being cold, but don't really get them warm. I use them in 55-60 degree water but with my feet splashed but not constantly wet. When I'm in the water more I use heavier booties.

Stealthyc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 06:07:38 AM »
I'm not a fan of the Vibram Flow.  My feet get very cold in them and I find the increased thickness of the neoprene between my toes much less comfortable than the KSO's I had before.  Once the water here dropped below about 60 I had to stop wearing them.  I also find I have much better feel for my board in my wetsuit booties than with the Flows (but that could be due to the fact that my feet are completely numb in the Flows)
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone

doggy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Kitesurfing lessons camber
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
Check out the Atan boots, they are super flexi so you hardly realise you are wearing them which I love as I hate wearing booties.

The Gul Viper boots are pretty comfy as well, have a fleecy lining :)

SUPJoe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 06:52:52 PM »
I've been using my VFF KSOs and my feet has been cold so I added the Injinji socks the last time I paddled.  It was better than not having socks.

I want to try the Flows as well but not until I get a 20% discount from the store at least.  $90 is a bit steep.  I am hoping I get some gift cards this holiday ;).

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
Just received my Xcell Infinite 5mm booties, can't wait to try em out this weekend. Was out paddling 2 weekends ago and had my bare feet in the water a little too long, and they felt like stumps. lol Got them from Tactics too! Real quick shipping - even to Canada!

ron.c

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 01:54:19 PM »
Riding one type of board or another since '84 - I
can honestly say that I never complained with having my feet too warm! 

Another New Englander that is a fan of 7 mil. Excels.  Get round toes for the optional / mandatory wool socks as recommended by the 'Axe.

Practice'n the preach with 6 days of surfing since TX - 2 with a paddle and 4 on my belly.

RC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal