Author Topic: Any rider feed back on the new Starboard 9'5" Widepoint?  (Read 1900 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Any rider feed back on the new Starboard 9'5" Widepoint?
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »

Waiting.

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Any rider feed back on the new Starboard 9'5" Widepoint?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »
Just picked up the 2012 SB 9.5 wide point in wood. First time I picked it up I liked that the board felt lighter than wife's AST Drive..  Not a big fan of red boards but with the white pad and the wood nose deck, it looks good.

First time out conditions were solid 15 knots on shore/side shore. Waves were knee to waist & choppy. Paddled up tight to the jetty for wind protection for ease of not fighting wind.

Used a quad fin set. (the 2 side bites that came with it and pulled a couple smaller ones off a longboard)    Board felt very stable. Had no problems spinning board around and making waves. I really liked the maneuverability even in such crappy conditions. Glide felt good (a little less than the SB Drive). In the chop was getting about 2 to 3 strokes per side. Once on the wave seemed fairly quick down the line, and was easy to push anywhere I wanted to steer. Good rocker in nose (no pearls)  Day 1 - happy with purchase....
Later the wind is coming more onshore so hopefully surf is building.....

I was looking at Wardog's line of wood fin... will want to contact him on proper fin selection.   Rider is 160 -165lbs   @  5'8"

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
Re: Any rider feed back on the new Starboard 9'5" Widepoint?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »
I have the 8-10 WP in Silver and its a great board for me. Its stable and very loose combining to be a great wave board for me. Its stablity in the Eastcoast chop ( most of the time here ) allows me to control the board and I'm able to catch more waves. The wide  32 inch width more forward of the center and with its pulled in round tail is what makes the board maneuverable . I can drive off the tail to gain speed using a 2+1 fin set up. Overall I really like this board .I have not experienced the board in overhead waves but I will be confident when that time comes..By the way I'm 190 lbs 
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal