Author Topic: Paddleboard Speed  (Read 36652 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Paddleboard Speed
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:13:13 AM »
I was wondering if anybody had any data about how fast a standup paddle board can really go. I know I top out on on a long distance straightaway at about 4 MPH, which is pretty sad. Since I don't have a displacement style board (NSP 11') I know people are going faster. How much?

I'm also curious as to what's the average speed on a displacement board of an amateur paddler and the real pros.

Thanks for any information.

-Ian
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
Re: Paddleboard Speed
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:33:21 AM »
Well I'm no pro, not even close, but on my 14ft JL Sabre I can maintain 5mph for an hour going at a medium to hard pace. The Sabre is a rocket.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
I have the exact board that you have and it's a 'surf class' board even though it's kinda big for that.   I love it because for those of us who can't afford a 'quiver' of boards, it's a great jack of all trades.  You can surf it a bit, it's really stable, great for fishing, and also great for touring with the ability to bring a good amount of gear.  But, it doesn't really excel at any of these things.  Frankly for speed, it's a barge.  I did a 5 mile race in August with mine and going full-boar I averaged 4mph.  And I'm pretty damn fit.  That took 1 hour 15 minutes and it was painful.  Guys on sleek 12'6" boards and of course 14' boards cruised at 6 - 8 mph, but those boards are mainly one trick ponies.  Although I'd still love to have one :)
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
 FWIW, I have yet to ride a displacement style board, so I can't offer any help there, but have tested a few boards on a 1.3 NM loop around some bouy's in the channel out in front of work. Granted, these are just "steady paddling" speeds, and not flat-out race speed (don't know how long I could keep that up anyways!).

Naish Mana Soft-Top, 10': 3.25 kts.
 Bic E-Comp, 11'6": 3.25 kts.
 Bic E-Comp, 10'6": 3.5 kts.
 Naish Nalu 11'6": 3.6 kts.
 Naish Glide 12': 3.9 kts.
 Naish Glide 14': 3.9 kts. (2011 version).

I think I was expecting the 14' Glide to give a better time than the 12'er, as it tracks amazingly well, but the watch doesn't lie.  ???

Granted, these are either "all-around" surf, or DW boards, and not really meant for flat-out top speed in calm water. As many of the threads on here have shown, it looks like max "hull speed" of the faster boards is around 5-6 mph. Anything above that appears to be muscle & stamina to keep them on plane. Someone keeping up that kind of pace sure has my respect! Hope this helps, Pete.
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
4.5-5.5mph is a speed range I think most paddlers will find themselves on 12.6-14 ft.. Elite's can maintain hull speed and beyond but the above is a fair giude as to what one can expect for mere mortals on a 4-6 miles course for example.

John

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
Guys on sleek 12'6" boards and of course 14' boards cruised at 6 - 8 mph, but those boards are mainly one trick ponies.  Although I'd still love to have one :)

While the 12.6 and 14s are faster... 6-8 is more unlimited territory. Times from Round the Rock last year would be good to look at for the fastest average speeds on a 12 mile loop. See following discussion...
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13227.15

John
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:55:27 AM by johnrg »

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
John, ur right, 8mph is a bit of an exaggeration.  But the guy who won the 5 miler I did last summer came in at 42 minutes, which is about 7mph even.  He was on a 14' board, don't know which model.  He looked pretty damn fit 
Just.  Get.  Out.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
Thanks for the information, everybody. I'm working on a writing piece and I wanted to get this bit of information right.

-Ian

longboarder1973

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
John, ur right, 8mph is a bit of an exaggeration.  But the guy who won the 5 miler I did last summer came in at 42 minutes, which is about 7mph even.  He was on a 14' board, don't know which model.  He looked pretty damn fit  

Always take race's length with a grain of salt...
I cant tell you how many 5 mile races that I have been in that have really been 3.5 or 4 miles in actual length.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 06:45:51 AM »
Hull speed (Maximum Hull Speed = 1.34 times the square root of waterline) for a 12.6 is 4.76 for a 14 it's 5.01, 17 is 5.52, 19 is 5.84

You can't go much faster than hull speed without a bump or a sail
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »
John, ur right, 8mph is a bit of an exaggeration.  But the guy who won the 5 miler I did last summer came in at 42 minutes, which is about 7mph even.  He was on a 14' board, don't know which model.  He looked pretty damn fit  

Always take race's length with a grain of salt...
I cant tell you how many 5 mile races that I have been in that have really been 3.5 or 4 miles in actual length.

I had my Garmin 305 on for the race, it was 5 miles indeed
Just.  Get.  Out.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »
7 mph for a 14' board is super-human... that's approaching OC1 and surf ski speed for flat water. 

I can maintain 5.8-6 mph on a 19' X 25" unlimited for an hour.  Subtract about 1/2mph when I get on a 14' Dominator.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
Ok, I looked it back up to do a double check on my memory since you guys on this forum are more experts than I am and you are correct, the guy who was going 7mph was OC-1 Open class, sorry about the confusion.  My memory has been slowly failing me ever since I turned 40.  The 14' board winner came in at just under 53 minutes, which is only 5.65mph.  That makes my 3.95mph seems a lot better on my NSP 11' now that I think about it.  But I get the feeling that I was hurting way more than he was....
Just.  Get.  Out.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
No worries Esskay1000, your new numbers all fit-in perfectly with the speeds of boards... the guy on the 14 footer still had a great avg. speed, but one that is doable by the sports elite. And yes, you were working very hard on the NSP... good on you... someday when you get on a race board, you will feel like you are flying, even if it's only 1 mph faster (-:  Thats still almost a 20% increase.  Think about getting on a bicycle that allows you to go 25 mph at the same work load as 20 mph... that would be huge!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
I think I can only get close to 4 mph on my NSP 11 on fairly short distances. Although on long distances (7 miles) I can regularly average 3.5 mph, which now doesn't seem half bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal