Author Topic: Kite & SUP Distance Day Inlander  (Read 9566 times)

steepcreeks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kite & SUP Distance Day Inlander
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:54:34 AM »
I'm firstly a whitewater SUPr, secondly long distance.  Kites are my next venture, I posted a little info about what I've been up to.  Anyone else explored this area? 
Link to Wordpress Blog:
http://benfriberg.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/kite-sup-distance/
http://wp.me/p1XKd9-L

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kite & SUP Distance Day Inlander
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
hey steep, thanks for link to your blog.  such great info.  i have been tinkering with doing some kiting off my sup here on the Cape.  my board has the mast track for windsurf but kiting def intrigues me too.

i am a total novice with kites so thanks for sharing your experences!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
We have been using kites on SUP's for YEARS (Since we sell/teach/fix Kitesurfing equipment for over 10 years)

First GO with an inflatable kite "dunking" a ram air is inevitable. For distance just "stash" your pump under a bungee attachment. This can hold your paddle while you kite

Board wise 10 to 11FT work best smaller tend to bog. Longer distance boards are not set up to take the torque (losing up wind ability) A 2 = 1 setup with a bigger rear fin seem to do the trick. The only issue we have experienced is mfg'ers who are not WS mfg have to weak of a rear fin anchor, and they break. Naish, fanatic seem to hold up to the torque of the kite

Lastly...and most importantly (IMHO) TAKE SOME KITE LESSONS BEFORE you go out with a kite. Things happen (to the improperly trained) real fast.

If you have more questions feel free to PM me here

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

steepcreeks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
I ain't a pro:) Like I said, i'm firstly a whitewater supr  http://vimeo.com/user2211004/videos
secondly a distance inland stand up paddler-thus the 14' SUP   http://benfriberg.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/long-distance-sup-80-miles-in-24-hours/
My neighbor has several 10' SUP I look forward to experiment with on smaller stretches kiting but nothing I would want to paddle for anything more than 10 miles should the wind die, usually I don't paddle less than 20(or 30miles) and a 10' would be a little of a drag.
I just carry a kite to take advantage of wind when it's there.  Often the wind here is 5-10mph, right on the threshold.  From my experience an inflatable takes a little more wind than the foil I currently use.  The foil is nice because I can just pull over when wind arrives, stretch it out, and I'm off!  No pump!  I may only kite 20 miles in a 40-80 miles stretch, then I put it up.  Next summer I plan to use my kite on Class II whitewater!  Probably not safe but much more so than creeking Class V!  So far the folks I've talked to who have experimented with inflatables on the TN were pretty miserable, short stretches, short sessions.

The thing that really draws me to the inflatable though would be, inflating from SUP in open water when the wind arrives and being able to water launch.  With that I hope to find an inflatable model that would work for my current rig.  Unfortunately with my current kite I have to have a beach. 
Occasionally the wind picks up in our neck of the woods and the 3.6m gives me all the power I need. 

The other cool thing about the 3.6 I currently use, everyone on the internet says it's the best kite to learn on!  Yikes, gotta get downtown to play some music, cheers, Ben Friberg, Charlie Parker Lives!

javiSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:01:32 AM »

Hi to all, first of all Iīm going to present myself. Iīm a surfer that is searching something new and less crowded than usual surf spots and Iīm thinking about buying a SUP.
I have tried it on the sea and I like the relaxed paddling sensation that gives you, away from very crowded waves. Although, I would want little more action (i.e. speed) and I have discovered the variant of using a kite to push the SUP thanks to people like Ben Friberg, Rastaman3030, Paddlur.
Moreover, the place where I live, usually has moderated winds and there are no windsurfers and kitesurfers, so I think it can work well here since it seems that it doesnīt need high winds.

So, I have a few questions for you, now I see you are more experienced than me in this subject:

- First of all, I havenīt got a board yet, and Iīm thinking about buying one that will bring me the possibility in the future to use it with a kite. I have seen that race SUPs are found to be more suitable but I donīt understand what JimK says about the torque and "2=1" setup, board size. So, can you explain it a little more please? I would be very grateful for that since my English is a little poor! Is it possible to achieve one for this two purposes (a compromise between paddling and kiting)? At the moment I donīt have interest catching waves.
- Can you go upwind?
- How much speed can you reach wit, for example, 10 knots? I have seen that doing loops you can increase the speed, but how much?
- Finally, about the kite, I see that the Hydra HQ trainer kite is a good point to start, isnīt it?

Lot of questions...
thanks for your patience!
and sorry for my poor english!

steepcreeks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
The Hydra has been a good kite for me.  I can relaunch.  I have done a set ups and launches from my board in open water as well but takes some practice if you don't have anyone out to assist.

Maximum speeds = I think somewhere below 15 mph.  The stronger the winds the harder it is to maintain position on the board.  If the winds are really strong it's all you can do to stay on the board seated without getting pulled off the front, fun in it's own way too I guess. 

I have not learned how to go up wind but that's probably because of the rig I'm using.  The Search kite designed for SUP seems to enable going up wind but then again, doesn't really look like a set up where the rider would consider taking a paddle out with him/her either.

Not really sure which board to recommend.  I have a pretty big quiver from various sup disciplines and take different ones out when kiting for different reasons. 

hope some of that helps;)
Ben

javiSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »
Hello Steepcreeks, thanks for your response. When you talk about "The Search kite designed for SUP", is this the manufacturer`s name? I canīt find it on the web.
Thanks again!

D-man

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
Javi, I think he means the Source from F One kites.  It was design for really low wind and easy set up.

F One Source by Raphael Salles

steepcreeks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
that's it, thanks Javi.  I bought one of these used a few months back to experiment with but didn't.  I'm sure it would be fun in certain conditions.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »
I am a novice kiter (i.e. barely getting upwind and still in "kook" zone). I own 10m and 13m LEI's as well as 9'6, 10'6 and several 12'6 SUPs. I'm about 5'8/165. What size kites are you guys using ( I know wind range and weight add a bunch of variables) to be safe and have some fun?

My approach would probably be my 10'6 Cabrinha SUP with my 10m on a fairly light day. With the added float of the sup compared to the kite board, is 10m too much and a potential danger? Should I consider a 7m or is even a 3-4m LEI trainer enough to get me moving? I'm not thinking superman stuff just playing around and maybe even continuing to work on upwind skills with the added float of the SUP. Thoughts?

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »
Hi Jake.  I think the 10M LEI is fine for you on a light steady day. If you have some knee to waist deep water to work with all the better.

I'm 6' and 190#. I've been kiting for ages and windsurfing since the prehistoric days. OK at both, not great. My faltwater SUPing is OK but I'm all novice with SUSing (no surfing background). I use a Fanatic Allwave 9'6" with  Cabrhina Switchblades 12M and 9M. You definitely want to be underpowered to start with but that is the only key thing. Not worth it to buy a 7M unless you want it for other kiting uses or you're in a windy area

I was amazed at how well that big ole floaty Allwave kited. I've flatwater kited 5' wave boards, skim boards, and even wake skates which all require being pretty powered up. Just like the F One Source video SUP kiting is all about having fun in lighter winds.  Upwind great; just get er on the plane, step back, get er on edge and point up. You do need to be at least somewhat powered for better upwind ability, like always.  Jibe: just bring the kite over while carvin the board through a downwind turn, then do a switch stance from toeside. Maybe a challenge if you're a kiting newbie but it's all about falling a lot to get it right (me in the surf).

I even pulled off a board push spin jibe after a few falls on my first session. I think kiting this board would be serious fun with no fins or one very small fin.  Easier for board spin moves like those in the F One Source promo vid.  BTW, F One source, Hydra, or any other ole water kite ya already own should work great.  If I find time I'll post a vid from the first session.   Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:30:22 AM by obxDave »

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:37:39 AM »
Steep... great thread!... from a fellow "creek"
Lots of cool potential... I paddled with Zoner & kiter  Geoff C yesterday... and he was talking about the same thing....not the 80 mile paddles :o... just the SUP kiting ;)

D-man- awesome movie... just the right mood for SUP... fun, relaxed and family oriented. Very talented folks that know how to have fun :D

obx- since I have a 9'6 Allwave... that is good info... I might have to borrow some of Geoff C's kiting skills & equipment and try this... we have no shortage of wind around here.

Thanks all for providing some fresh juice to the Zone.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 10:18:33 AM »
Matt, just come over to Kalmus Beach, Hyannis or West Dennis Beach on a windy day. Plenty of kiters you could talk to for tips. There's always someone selling their used kites and equipment.

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 04:41:48 PM »
Thanks for the great info Dave. I appreciate it. I'm definitely hoping to score an All Wave someday but I'm thinking a Fly Air inflatable is next on the plate.

Good times

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Pretty cool thread!  I have often wanted to experiment with kiting and currently have a Rush 3.0. I wish I had the foresight to have gotten the hydra though. Cool stuff!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal