Author Topic: How do you use the dual leash plugs?  (Read 31151 times)

johnd12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
How do you use the dual leash plugs?
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
I know that having two plugs is supposed to be safer, but can anyone tell me how to set them up?  I am not sure how stringing the leash cord through both plugs, then attaching the leash in the middle is any more secure than just using one.   Do any of you make use of the dual plug set up?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How do you use the dual leash plugs?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
I make a long loop from each plug to the railsaver so the leash winds up at about a 45 degree angle to each plug. This reduces the pull to each plug by about 30 percent. Also gives you a backup if one loop fails. Some folks actually run two leashes, but that's so clumsy I can't do it. I did rig a "saver" line on each swivel for a little while last year, but it tangled too much when it got wound up. At some point you just gotta swim.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
Ditto what Bill said - I just put a leash rope in each and loop my rail saver through both...

Pigtire

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
Also have a question. What type of rope should I need to loop around both plugs? Can someone post a picture of your dual plug leash setups?  That would be great. Thanks!
All I need is 2 hours.( Life of a full time Dad.)

johnd12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How do you use the dual leash plugs?
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
Thanks so much, guys. That makes sense!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »
As the originator of the double leash plug setups on SUP's...I'd like to tell everyone NOT to use the leash rope as a handle...
Use the rail saver on the leash...there have been numerous incidents of people getting their fingers and/or hands caught in the rope...lots of hydraulics at work here...especially, in the waves...

We use 5/32" (4mm) heavy duty marine line...870 # breaking strength...

I first started running double leash plugs on my big wave guns over 25 years ago...having a plug pull out in cold sharky water with big waves and lots of current was no fun...I used to even run double leashes until leash technology caught up...

It was only natural that this feature was incorporated into our SUP designs when I started working in 2005 with Sean Ordonez, prototyping what would become the world's first production epoxy SUP's...it made sense to spread the point loads...and, almost every company has since copied it...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:10:45 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:44:10 PM »
I use two leash strings the ones that come with the leash when you buy it.

1. Run each leash string thru the each plug pull though so the knot on the leash string is tight against the plug.

2. Then open up the leash run it though both loops make sure it is not to long so the rail saver on the leash is touching the tail of the board not the string from the leash plugs. 

This gives you 2 different fail points. What is the point of using one string on two plugs. If the sting breaks your done.  I have broke many leashes but never at the plug always where the leash glues into the rail saver. I like Creature of Leasure leashes because they have a design where the leash string is attached to the rail saver.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »
I recommend only using one of the two leash plugs.. Maybe the right if you're natural and left if you're goofy.. John Wilson who owns Balin (who make Balin leashes) once told me how important it is to have an offset leash plug because over the years of making leashes every time he has heard of a board springing back and hitting someone (and sometimes causing nasty injuries) have always been a centered leash plug.. He said that with an offset plug the board will always turn away from the surfer as it recoils back and he has never once heard of someone being hit by their board with an offset plug.. So for this reason I recommend not linking the two together and in effect creating a center plug position.. Also it is very rare for a leash plug to get pulled out of the board these days so the need to distribute the load over two plugs is a bit unnecessary.

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
It's also important to have the string/rope not too long.. My local board repairer has often shown me damage to to tail of boards where the railsaver on the leash has not been able to do its job (saving the rail) because the leash plug string/rope was way too long causing the string/rope to cut through the rail of the board.. I see this all the time and have shortened the loop for many people.

DJ

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
It's also important to have the string/rope not too long.. My local board repairer has often shown me damage to to tail of boards where the railsaver on the leash has not been able to do its job (saving the rail) because the leash plug string/rope was way too long causing the string/rope to cut through the rail of the board.. I see this all the time and have shortened the loop for many people.

DJ

Nice knot DJ - what do you call it?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
There is a big differential between using one plug in a surfboard and one plug in a SUP...tail width...weight...and, volume...etc...are much greater...plus, surfboard leashes are much shorter...I haven't had a SUP ever spring back on me...
I've had my share of leash plugs on surfboards rip right out the back of the board...and, I have seen it on some brands of SUP's...

At 870# breaking strength of our line, the leash will fail before the line breaks...you can go up to almost 7000# breaking strength with Spectra line...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=37303&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50130&classNum=50132

We only use and recommend leashes with a safety quick disconnect...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
As the originator of the double leash plug setups on SUP's...I'd like to tell everyone NOT to use the leash rope as a handle...
Use the rail saver on the leash...there have been numerous incidents of people getting their fingers and/or hands caught in the rope...lots of hydraulics at work here...especially, in the waves...

Amen to that - I'd even go further and not even grab the rail saver if you can avoid it.  One time I did grab it and it came close to ripping off my fingernail.  Somehow the board twisted and the rail saver wrapped around my middle finger then the board took off toward the shore...

Pigtire

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:51 PM »
Thanks for the info and pics!
All I need is 2 hours.( Life of a full time Dad.)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 02:54:17 PM »

Nice knot DJ - what do you call it?

Sorry I don't remember the name of that knot.. Someone here once told me what it was called saying "nice **** knot"..  ;D

It's a simple knot and easy to do and also undo.. It's the knot that I was told to use for the leash string many moons ago and I've always used it.

DJ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
If you want an offset connection then it's simple enough to make one loop shorter than the other. You won't get the full value of reducing the load since the load on the line is total load times the sine of the angle, but you'll still benefit from having a backup plug and a backup line.

I've never seen a leash plug pull out, but I've heard of it. As I recall, Dave Kalama told me he's had them pull a couple of times. Of course he pretty much expects to break a leash frequently. He sometimes surfs with a spare leash wrapped around his waist.

I've had strings break (2), strings untie (1), leashes fail in the swivel (1), at the attachment of the polyurethane cord to the swivel (3), and at the leg attachment--the whole swivel attachment pulling right off the cuff (1). Most of those I put down to big wave, big board, fat ass, though the string untying was definitely stupidity. I also had a calf leash pull down my leg and off my foot. Don't know what to call that.

So three of the seven failures I've had would have been prevented by having two strings in dual plugs. Of course three of the seven would have been prevented by a second line in a single plug, which is what I generally do--I make a loose loop of kite line as a backup. only one of my boards has dual plugs, and I do two lines on that one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal