Author Topic: Kelly on a SUP.  (Read 11417 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Kelly on a SUP.
« on: October 13, 2011, 09:43:07 PM »
Funny comments about Kelly Slater buying a SUP in the other forum:

http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2164118&an=0&page=0#Post2164118

It just proves that haters will be haters.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly on a SUP.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »
True colors showing on that BB.  Racism is so classy and enlightened...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

dontblamemyboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:31:30 AM »
thats the same board id been saving up for and yet to buy since its press release the carbon, so light, thin tail, nice outline, just could be in a different color, ive only been able to touch the 9 2 model here on Oahu, there are just too many advantages to SUP, its just a matter of time, surfing has just been added here to the list of high school sports, and SUP will surely follow, garans babaranz cuzin!

endlessfight

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »
i doubt anyone there actually believes that he got a SUP. it will takes pics or vid before anyone believs it. and i doubt it ill happen. his sponsors wouldn't want him to hinder his 'core surfer image' to all the dudes that jock him, like on the surfermag forum.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:35 AM »
A great moment in SUP history. 
Aloha,
Tom English

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
For the record as well - Wardog did actually SELL him a board.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
I saw his board about a month ago when I was in WD's shop, and we were thinking at the time that this was going to be interesting to see how it will be received w/in the crawling community.
No real surprises, I think it's hysterical, as well as predictable.
It takes a quiver to do that.

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:17:15 PM »
Theres a picture of Kelly on an sup and him speaking on it in his last book, I will try to scan it and post it, he;s on one of raimanas c4's in tahiti
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »
What I don't quite get is why Kelly would ride a Starboard, it might be the latest brushed carbon or whatever but I'm sure Al Merrick could design him a board and have it glassed light that would make a starboard look like a VW Bus.

lakesurfer

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »
At a local Hurley event here this last summer, Timmy Curran, Dane Zune, and others were all out riding SUP's.  Surftech's, Naish, and Pau hanna were all represented out in the water.  Everyone was having a blast also.  These guys love to surf, and most don't buy into the crap that goes on with other message boards.  good for Kelly and all the rest of the pros who choose to expand their horizons.

Another question, possibly off topic.  How come the Malloy brothers seem to be immune from all of the people that hate on other surfers for doing SUP.  They all paddle, longboard, and shortboard.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 02:03:26 PM »
CMC,

Not to bag on that particular board or brand ... but having ridden that brand's latest and greatest... I could not agree with you any more strongly.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Menlo SUPr

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:27:46 PM »
What I don't quite get is why Kelly would ride a Starboard, it might be the latest brushed carbon or whatever but I'm sure Al Merrick could design him a board and have it glassed light that would make a starboard look like a VW Bus.

$2 grand or so off the rack for a first SUP probably didn't bother Kelly. It'll probably give him some good ideas that he can share will Merrick for a custom board. I'd imagine that Al's time is more valuable, so why waste it on total guesses for what Kelly likes in a SUP?

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »
At a local Hurley event here this last summer, Timmy Curran, Dane Zune, and others were all out riding SUP's.  Surftech's, Naish, and Pau hanna were all represented out in the water.  Everyone was having a blast also.  These guys love to surf, and most don't buy into the crap that goes on with other message boards.  good for Kelly and all the rest of the pros who choose to expand their horizons.

Another question, possibly off topic.  How come the Malloy brothers seem to be immune from all of the people that hate on other surfers for doing SUP.  They all paddle, longboard, and shortboard.

For the most part, they avoid crowded line ups (surf and SUP).  Oh, and they're Irish!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 10:48:42 AM »
They also look like they might rip your head off and piss down the hole if you mucked with them. Oh wait, that's redundant, they're Irish.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Any well-managed sponsored athlete that wants something out of the scope of their sponsors products will buy it. Accepting something expensive for free has inherent problems. Easier for a guy like Kelly Slater to just pay.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal