Author Topic: tri fin or single?  (Read 8239 times)

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
tri fin or single?
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:21:52 AM »
My board has a tri fin set up, but as a longboarder, I have always surfed and prefered single fin boards.
shall I put a single big fin on the 11'6 SUP or leave it as it is?

What should normally be the difference between tri fin and single on a SUP?
thanks

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: tri fin or single?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 05:52:55 AM »
My Naish 10'6" has a thruster set up and I used it for a while as a single fin and it's fine...btw..I also prefer single fins and so I am now using smaller side fins.

The side fins will make the board turn better..and will also be a bit more stable and track straighter..but may cause a little more drag..because of the fins themselves and because they are toed in slightly.

I would leave it as is..(with the side fins in)

DJ

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:03:49 AM »
Here's a qoute from Dave Parmenter, who I think is (also-besides being a sick surfer and top shaper) an outstanding surf writer.  I remembered reading this article a while back and having it dispel some misconceptions that I had heard about what side bites are actually doing :

"One must remember that the tri-fin array, on any surfboard, is only "faster" if it is pumped or rapidly turned from rail to rail. In a straight-line trim the tri-fins are just so much drag. If the leverage and torque that they offer the surfer aren't exploited with a more active surfing style, then they are wasted or misapplied. "

The whole article:

http://www.surfline.com/sdg/forum/05_08_long_fins.cfm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:09:08 AM by Admin »

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:15 AM »
interesting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal