Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553221 times)

NHSUPSurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1590 on: October 01, 2014, 06:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the info, PBill.  Will PM Lane.

Creek, holy cow!  You ARE rough on equipment!  Thank gawd you treated that Hobie you sold me with tender loving care though  :)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1591 on: October 01, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
You don't have to. First, yes you can glue it, but I'm pretty sure lane is continuing the "forever paddle" program.  You take a picture of the damaged blade, send it to him, and he'll sell you a very deeply discounted blade. Since the blade is just hot glued it's easy to replace with just a hair dryer.

I would have waited for lane to answer, but he doesn't get on the zone too often. Pm him and I'm sure he'll do you right.

Thanks Bill! & Yes you are correct we still have the program in place & if anyone else has any issues & is outside of their warranty period it's a really good option (Bill created it).

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1592 on: October 01, 2014, 11:31:20 PM »
Hi NHSS
Sounds like good advice.... but if you need it tomorrow.... here's what I did.

I beat the crap out of my Ke Nalu Wiki. I love it. but abuse it.
I use it to chop ice in the winter all the time.... when I go till the ice is too thick, I simply chop a "turn around spot" in the ice with the tip of my blade.
I use it as a depth sounder, everytime I step off my board... in sand, on rocks.... better to smack my blade around that bust up my knee or ankle.

Sooooo..... it splits apart from time to time. It has happened twice in 3 years

Both times, I just paint in some epoxy and clamp it back together. I used wooden shingles the first time to spread the clamping force... if I do that again, I will use clear packing tape, so the shingles don't glue to the blade  :o

I did it last week with just small "C" clamps... took 5 minutes to fix... over night to cure. Surfed all day Friday, paddled with Caribesurf all Saturday, and have been out this week.
The paddle looks beat up.... but still paddles perfectly.

Note.... even though I split in COMPLETELY.... tip to top.... it never lost its shape and glued together perfectly. ;D ;D ;D

#1 - Ke Nalu Ice Chopper
#2 - My latest minor chip
#3 - Clamped with sidewall shingles
#4 - Same paddle, this weekend during a Maine road trip, to Caribe's beautiful coastline.

Wholly crap!!...Nice repair on that, but remember the forever paddle policy is in place for you too, if you ever need another ice axe :)

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1593 on: October 02, 2014, 11:06:18 AM »
My Wiki blade was one of the first and it started to split along the seam of the insert and down the shoulder. Looked like the foam in the insert expanded too much and pushed it apart. Was sent a factory second that weighed more when I warrantied it, but didn't complain because the blade is still usable for the small stresses my little arms put on it, just put superglue to help stop the tiny crack from progressing down the blade. Lane said they are using different foam now.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 02, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »
I remember that blade. We hand picked it from the first batch there were two ultralight blades. A lady got the lightest, you got the second--heavier by 2 grams. But you got the lightest shaft.

That's the kind of crap I remember. I don't know when my grandsons were born, but I remember that blade. Sorry to hear it cracked. That was a good one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 04:51:18 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1595 on: October 03, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
Ha! That explains why the factory second weighed a third more. Quality of the blade face is better than the second Wiki Blade I bought in 2013, which is why I sold the newer one.

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 03, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
We actually used to weigh all the blades, shafts and handles when the came in. I don't remembr why. There's about a ten percent variance expected with composites.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Surfindog

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: December 23, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
Recently received a Maliko with 100 flex shaft from Lane and couldn't be happier with the performance, paddling the mangrove flats here in SW Florida. Like night and day compared to the aluminum clunker I had been using. And no more shoulder issues to boot.  Why didn't I do this sooner?  Thanks again Lane for all your help in getting us set up.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1598 on: February 17, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Hey guys, check out our new Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX8lUchPeVkeu-j8vua-nZQ currently there's videos on the Konihi, Ho'oloa, Elite & xTufs and a new How to Assemble vid. More on the way soon.

supthecreek

« Reply #1599 on: February 18, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
Hey LM... just wanted you to know that I have given up my evil ways of slamming my Ke Nalu into rocks and chopping ice with it. sort of. I am more careful, but dang it..... it works so well....

I have to report, no one has ever passed me out there, so it may well be the fastest ice paddle as well.

I need an intervention.
Do you need someone to take pictures in Thailand?

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1600 on: February 18, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »
If you have to wear a scuba suit to go paddling....

???  IT MIGHT BE TOO COLD  ???
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 18, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
Nice videos. I wondered who was doing the nice production, but it was pretty obvious at the end--Rod Parmenter. Pretty funny seeing Rod's face.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1602 on: February 18, 2015, 04:08:52 PM »
Sweet!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1603 on: February 24, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
Hey LM... just wanted you to know that I have given up my evil ways of slamming my Ke Nalu into rocks and chopping ice with it. sort of. I am more careful, but dang it..... it works so well....

I have to report, no one has ever passed me out there, so it may well be the fastest ice paddle as well.

I need an intervention.
Do you need someone to take pictures in Thailand?

BRRR! I can't even imagine paddling in water that cold, that's hard core! you need to get someplace warm

EatCrow

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: February 26, 2015, 05:33:30 AM »
My XTUF shaft and XTUF Wiki just came the other day, and I think the blade is and Elite..... I can not imagine a blade being lighter than this one.

One more month before I'm allowed to get back in the water, and can't wait

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard