Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553483 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1575 on: June 13, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »
nice to see a bit of color.

Yeah, & a logo that won't get all scratched up too.  :)  These new logos are done during molding, it's kind of a neat process. Still NO clear coating, they come out of the molds like this.

surfinib

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 13, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Lane,
Where do you see the Konihi v.s. the Ho'oloa? Sounds like the same blade but with "wings" - less effort. Is it more geared for flat water rather than surf? At least that's where the design would really make a difference. Regardless I'll still want one! I just got a Ho'oloa two months ago and used it on a trip to Mex with JD Motes. Best paddle I've used in the surf! 

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1577 on: June 13, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
Lane,
Where do you see the Konihi v.s. the Ho'oloa? Sounds like the same blade but with "wings" - less effort. Is it more geared for flat water rather than surf? At least that's where the design would really make a difference. Regardless I'll still want one! I just got a Ho'oloa two months ago and used it on a trip to Mex with JD Motes. Best paddle I've used in the surf!

They're actually 1/2 in. narrower than Ho'oloas & 1 in longer for the same sq.in. size & a couple other subtle things. The "winglets" really do work well by the way, in addition to directing the vortices out & away from the blade back they also act as an opposing force to any blade slippage or flutter, since they are perpendicular to any sideways type motion. Even when you try & make them flutter (which is hard since they really don't want to) they return to "straight and level" immediately, no oscillations at all. They really work well.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1578 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »
Lane,

Just realized I forgot to answer a couple of your questions: there's some info. on our Facebook page right now & I'll post some things here soon too. We'll probably have some info. available on our website in a few days as well. The blade was designed with racing in mind but I'm sure it would work fine for surf. By the way, it's not "less effort" we didn't create a magic paddle (well maybe in some ways..) it's just more efficient & more stable. Glad you like the Ho'oloa

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1579 on: June 24, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
(Re-post from Marketplace) Ke Nalu's latest creation the "Konihi" is now available www.kenalu.com. We're planning on running a Zone special but production and quantities are currently limited so we need to see how the dust settles first. If you're serious about racing or flat water performance the Konihi is a true game changer!

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: June 25, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
Appreciate some collective wisdom. Just received a maliko paddle, xtuff(s) with adjustable collar and extended ergo T. Hadn't appreciated the amount of shaft I'd have to cut off to use the adjustable part (recommended 15", minimum ~9"?) so thinking of just using the extended T without the collar. The handle came with no glue, how much of the handle should I apply glue to? A few inches like a normal handle? Should I cut the extended handle down a few inches if not going to used with the adjustable part?

Also, when using the adjustable, does cutting off so much of the shaft and replacing with the extended handle change the characteristics of the flex etc noticeably? I had hoped to use the adjustable to dial in the length then remove and glue but having second thoughts if have to cut off so much shaft.

Cheers!

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1581 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
Appreciate some collective wisdom. Just received a maliko paddle, xtuff(s) with adjustable collar and extended ergo T. Hadn't appreciated the amount of shaft I'd have to cut off to use the adjustable part (recommended 15", minimum ~9"?) so thinking of just using the extended T without the collar. The handle came with no glue, how much of the handle should I apply glue to? A few inches like a normal handle? Should I cut the extended handle down a few inches if not going to used with the adjustable part?

Also, when using the adjustable, does cutting off so much of the shaft and replacing with the extended handle change the characteristics of the flex etc noticeably? I had hoped to use the adjustable to dial in the length then remove and glue but having second thoughts if have to cut off so much shaft.

Cheers!

You don't need to cut off the 15 1/8" that measurement was where the part was designed to fit (taking into account the tolerances for the tapered shaft) to give the most adjustment between paddlers from 5ft. to 6ft. tall. You can place the part pretty much wherever you want. It can even be placed on the end of an uncut shaft. So you should be able to look at the range you wanted to dial in & place the part there. Then once you find your spot you can remove the part if you wish & just use the handle glued in place. If you want to cut off some excess handle shaft it won't hurt anything. If you decide to use the handle by itself you can (if you have a glue gun) just run a spiral of glue around the handle shaft for about 2" (starting where you want the handle inserted to and working your way to what will be inserted into the shaft) that should be more than enough. You can also apply the glue by just heating the stick and rolling it onto the handle shaft. An inch or so should be plenty but just make sure when you're inserting the handle to twist in a circular motion to help evenly spread the glue evenly. We have glue sticks for sale on the Ke Nalu website or you can also use high bond strength hot glue available at most hardware stores.

I've used shafts with the part installed at the 15 1/8" location & found the shaft to still have basically the same flex characteristics. You should be able to use your part as you intended without any problems but if you have any other questions you can contact customerservice@kenalu.com & we'll help in whatever way we can.

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: June 26, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
You don't need to cut off the 15 1/8" that measurement was where the part was designed to fit (taking into account the tolerances for the tapered shaft) to give the most adjustment between paddlers from 5ft. to 6ft. tall. You can place the part pretty much wherever you want. It can even be placed on the end of an uncut shaft. So you should be able to look at the range you wanted to dial in & place the part there. Then once you find your spot you can remove the part if you wish & just use the handle glued in place. If you want to cut off some excess handle shaft it won't hurt anything. If you decide to use the handle by itself you can (if you have a glue gun) just run a spiral of glue around the handle shaft for about 2" (starting where you want the handle inserted to and working your way to what will be inserted into the shaft) that should be more than enough. You can also apply the glue by just heating the stick and rolling it onto the handle shaft. An inch or so should be plenty but just make sure when you're inserting the handle to twist in a circular motion to help evenly spread the glue evenly. We have glue sticks for sale on the Ke Nalu website or you can also use high bond strength hot glue available at most hardware stores.

I've used shafts with the part installed at the 15 1/8" location & found the shaft to still have basically the same flex characteristics. You should be able to use your part as you intended without any problems but if you have any other questions you can contact customerservice@kenalu.com & we'll help in whatever way we can.

Thanks Lane, just what I was looking for.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: June 28, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
Lane sent me a Konihi blade. Thanks Lane. Well actually he had Carmen drop it off. All the USA Ke Nalus are still shipped from Hood River by the very organized and capable Carmen Tuttle. Beautiful blade, the workmanship is incredible. Kudos on getting the quality so high, you've knocked that out of the park.

I thought the wing design would be similar to the wings I was working on a couple of summers ago. I could never get them to work. The catch was vicious and any misalignment caused wobble. When Lane talked about subtlety I assumed that was the answer--my wings were about a half inch wide. Smaller wings might work, but I couldn't see how they would increase stability.

But the Konihi wings are completely different. I had the wings turn forward, to further slow the water coming off the blade, and they were mostly along the mid third of the blade. The Konihi wings face back, and are along the first half of the blade. They are very subtle, it's going to be tricky to photograph them. I'm looking forward to trying this, though truth be told I'm looking forward to trying any paddle. I'm probably still four weeks out from that. It makes for a gorgeous looking paddle though. I"m looking forward to getting it wet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1584 on: June 28, 2014, 11:58:47 AM »
Lane sent me a Konihi blade. Thanks Lane. Well actually he had Carmen drop it off. All the USA Ke Nalus are still shipped from Hood River by the very organized and capable Carmen Tuttle. Beautiful blade, the workmanship is incredible. Kudos on getting the quality so high, you've knocked that out of the park.

I thought the wing design would be similar to the wings I was working on a couple of summers ago. I could never get them to work. The catch was vicious and any misalignment caused wobble. When Lane talked about subtlety I assumed that was the answer--my wings were about a half inch wide. Smaller wings might work, but I couldn't see how they would increase stability.

But the Konihi wings are completely different. I had the wings turn forward, to further slow the water coming off the blade, and they were mostly along the mid third of the blade. The Konihi wings face back, and are along the first half of the blade. They are very subtle, it's going to be tricky to photograph them. I'm looking forward to trying this, though truth be told I'm looking forward to trying any paddle. I'm probably still four weeks out from that. It makes for a gorgeous looking paddle though. I"m looking forward to getting it wet.
Well if you can't use yours then send it to me and I'll keep it for your return.  It does look gorgeous. 

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 28, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »
Pono, maybe you  could instrument it and tell us how it differs quantitatively.  For qualitative, I can break it in for you until your shoulder heals.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #1586 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »

Just now seeing this; you're welcome Bill & I'm glad you like it & have now read you're back in the water & actually have tried it & it seems to be working well for you, also good to hear. +1 on your comment about Carmen, her and Kevin are the best!! Thank heavens for them!

NHSUPSurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ke Nalu blade is splitting
« Reply #1587 on: October 01, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Have a Ke Nalu blade that  is splitting down the side.  Tried to attach a pic, but apparently can only attach 1MG (will need to mod).  Lightly used Wiki blade that is probably a couple years old.  Really not surfed that much.  Rinsed every time, and stored in a cool garage.  Couple rail slaps  but no big bangs.

Surprised this would happen.  Worried that it will start taking on water (assume it already has somewhat).

Anyone else have this happen?

Also, any ideas for fixing?  Superglue?  Really don't have another $300-400 to spend on a quality paddle blade.

Dan

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:02 PM »
You don't have to. First, yes you can glue it, but I'm pretty sure lane is continuing the "forever paddle" program.  You take a picture of the damaged blade, send it to him, and he'll sell you a very deeply discounted blade. Since the blade is just hot glued it's easy to replace with just a hair dryer.

I would have waited for lane to answer, but he doesn't get on the zone too often. Pm him and I'm sure he'll do you right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #1589 on: October 01, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Hi NHSS
Sounds like good advice.... but if you need it tomorrow.... here's what I did.

I beat the crap out of my Ke Nalu Wiki. I love it. but abuse it.
I use it to chop ice in the winter all the time.... when I go till the ice is too thick, I simply chop a "turn around spot" in the ice with the tip of my blade.
I use it as a depth sounder, everytime I step off my board... in sand, on rocks.... better to smack my blade around that bust up my knee or ankle.

Sooooo..... it splits apart from time to time. It has happened twice in 3 years

Both times, I just paint in some epoxy and clamp it back together. I used wooden shingles the first time to spread the clamping force... if I do that again, I will use clear packing tape, so the shingles don't glue to the blade  :o

I did it last week with just small "C" clamps... took 5 minutes to fix... over night to cure. Surfed all day Friday, paddled with Caribesurf all Saturday, and have been out this week.
The paddle looks beat up.... but still paddles perfectly.

Note.... even though I split in COMPLETELY.... tip to top.... it never lost its shape and glued together perfectly. ;D ;D ;D

#1 - Ke Nalu Ice Chopper
#2 - My latest minor chip
#3 - Clamped with sidewall shingles
#4 - Same paddle, this weekend during a Maine road trip, to Caribe's beautiful coastline.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal