Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553259 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1125 on: September 28, 2012, 08:49:29 PM »
Going to check out the Wiki XtufS combo this weekend. Going for a long paddle early Sunday morning.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mtmilam

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1126 on: September 28, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »
I just got my Wiki Blade in...put it on my 100  shaft just now....going to gulf Shores to move the sailboat back to P'cola and will hopefully have some time for a paddle...

Thanks Mike Deeny for getting it to me today!!!!  I really want to try it on the Hobie 14' board, but we are bringing the two ULI's on the sailboat...a little easier to manage :D.
Mark
Hobie 14' Elite 2012
BOTE HD 12' 2012
14' Mistral M1 race inflatable
Red Board Race 12'6" inflatable
BOTE Breeze 11' inflatable
Red Paddle 12'6" explorer inflatable
Tower 12'6" race board
Hobie DuraDUP

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1127 on: September 28, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
Going to check out the Wiki XtufS combo this weekend. Going for a long paddle early Sunday morning.

Let us know how it was. Also, what is your height and weight?

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1128 on: September 30, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
I love my xtuf and carbon wikis, but still am a hair faster with my Werner Nitro bent shaft. I don't particularly care for the large diameter shaft or the weight of the Nitro, so I'm thinking of buying the $500 grand prix (ouch) or just trying the Maliko blade, as it may be the extra 15 square inches of the nitro giving me a boost. Anyone have similar experience? I'm flatwater only with tender shoulders and realize that it may be just bad form on my part.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

SUPerLEO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1129 on: September 30, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
used my Molokai with xtuff shaft yesterday at our hulakai race to fitness it was awesome MAJOR CATCH but I couldn't get rid of that clicking sound felt like my shaft had some play even though I put more glue but still worked like a charm shoulders feel GREAT. put my maliko xtuf blade avg on and no more clicking now I can go surf. I got 1st in 12'6 stock ages 17-39.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
8'4 Johnston
8'0 starboard tiki
8'10 hypr kinimaka

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1130 on: September 30, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
New to the forum and proud owner of a new Maliko with 100 shaft as of last week.  First paddle with it was Friday.  Trying to get a short session in on the river.  Just a bad session over all (tired from work and rushed to get a session in before leaving town to  Sat.) and had the length a little to long.  Cut it down another inch today and went out for an 8 mile paddle.

Feel like I got the length dialed in much better.  Some over all impressions and observations.  Please keep in mind that I'm a still a noob and this is my first paddle at this level and price point.

1.  Forces you to have good technique. 

Previously I was using a Werner Fiji adjustable.  Which at the price, I feel is a great paddle.  My initial reaction on my first strokes was WTF? Blade was wandering all over the place.  I thought I had been doing pretty well before.  Today I did a nice long run and really focused on three phases of my stroke.  It became apparent, that when I really had a nice solid plant, trying to be as quiet as possible, and  proper technique through the power phase, the paddle tracked straight as an arrow.

With all of that straightened out, it seem like I could really engage my core muscles more.  As a matter fact, I had my first cramp, and it was in the abs.  Some of it had do with not being as hydrated as I usually am, and the fact that I have more of a case then a 6 pack.  Obviously I was using them more.

2. I'm thinking the carbon shaft applied more of my power.  Compared to the Fiji which is fiberglass, I could keep my speed up with what seemed like less energy.  I had Motion-X running on my iphone and when I was slowing the pace catch a breather I was keeping the same speed I was before on the Fiji when I was applying more energy.  At least that is what my phone told me.

3. The damn thing is light.  I know, you guys with carbon paddles already know this, but holy cow, it was like I wasn't even holding anything.

4. I ordered a factory second (cosmetic flaws) blade.  As a household of school teachers, we don't have a lot of expendable cash.  I ordered the factory second Maliko blade.  I was fully expecting to see a scratch, or the logo might be messed up or something.  I figured I would do that my first session anyway.  When I opened it up and looked, I was hard pressed to find anything.  I have no idea why this thing was marked second.

I'm entering my first race at the end of October.  Completely stoked and can't wait.  Plus I've lost 11 pounds.  I saw some beach photos of myself from this summer and I almost threw up in my mouth.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 30, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »
BBQ, glad you like the paddle. the reason it's wandering is not your stroke, it's that you are holding it too tight. Most paddles wander, and you get used to holding them tight to keep that from happening, Ke Nalus don't. Open your bottom hand so you're just holding the shaft with your fingertips, I guarantee it won't wobble.

the factory seconds are actually very nice blades. We don't normally clearcoat our blades--they are supposed to be perfect when they come out of the mold. If they are not, they are sanded and clearcoated (which is how most paddles are made) and they look great. In fact they often look better than firsts--but they're seconds to us. I use nothing but seconds myself.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 30, 2012, 06:55:07 PM »
used my Molokai with xtuff shaft yesterday at our hulakai race to fitness it was awesome MAJOR CATCH but I couldn't get rid of that clicking sound felt like my shaft had some play even though I put more glue but still worked like a charm shoulders feel GREAT. put my maliko xtuf blade avg on and no more clicking now I can go surf. I got 1st in 12'6 stock ages 17-39.

The click is probably a little gap between the upper edge of the ferrule and the shaft. My favorite Maliko makes what I assume is the same sound. I've gotten used to it and treat it like a cadence count. Doesn't hurt anything but I realize it might be irritation. Next time you put it together put a ring of glue around the bottom of the ferrule. It might eliminate it. Or decide it's a feature and use it to keep your cadence up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPerLEO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1133 on: September 30, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »

The click is probably a little gap between the upper edge of the ferrule and the shaft. My favorite Maliko makes what I assume is the same sound. I've gotten used to it and treat it like a cadence count. Doesn't hurt anything but I realize it might be irritation. Next time you put it together put a ring of glue around the bottom of the ferrule. It might eliminate it. Or decide it's a feature and use it to keep your cadence up.
I actually did use it as a way to keep my cadence up

8'4 Johnston
8'0 starboard tiki
8'10 hypr kinimaka

bbqSUPer

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1134 on: October 01, 2012, 03:32:48 AM »
Thanks Bill, I did realize that the smaller shaft seamed conducive to using a relaxed grip with fingers.  Worked much better.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 01, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
are the xTuf Wiki's back in stock yet?

Thanks

Naishguy

« Reply #1136 on: October 01, 2012, 01:25:07 PM »
loved my xtuf so much i just bought a elite! great paddles!! and bags!

Scottiver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 02, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »
So I have a Maliko with x tuff s and would maybe like to get a Wiki blade to try out because for me I prefer a higher cadence than I can achieve with the Maliko.
Now my question is, is the Wiki blade the same length as the Maliko so that when I mount it to my current x tuff s shaft the total paddle length will be the same?  ???

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #1138 on: October 02, 2012, 04:42:48 AM »

Now my question is, is the Wiki blade the same length as the Maliko so that when I mount it to my current x tuff s shaft the total paddle length will be the same?  ???

No, different lengths.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1139 on: October 02, 2012, 06:24:25 AM »
The standard T grip has at least an inch or so of play, think you may have enough adjustment without spending $60 on the extended T.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard