Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551879 times)

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1110 on: September 16, 2012, 06:07:31 AM »
Wiki Paddle, X-Tuff and 100%

I have a few for those desperately in need.

I have the other sizes too...

Ralph
Sup-position
Huntington Beach, California, USA
(714) 899-3020

Sup.position.com@gmail.com

www.Sup-position.com

Thanks Ralph,

I need to demo them with the Xtuf before I purchase.  I am sure other Zoners will be stoked to hear that you have some in-stock.
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #1111 on: September 16, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »
All sizes, including Wiki is still available for "Try before you buy" at Aloha SUP Shop in Leucadia, CA www.AlohaStandUpPaddle.com
Aloha,
Tom English

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 16, 2012, 07:59:54 AM »
Chuck Patterson was in town this weekend.  He said a lot of them are going shorter on their paddles.  He used to run 86" and is now 82".  He broke some ribs so he didn't paddle.  I wish I could have seen his stroke with a long vs short paddle.  He is a super cool guy.  I left my wiki at 85 and did ok.   Maybe I need to try some short paddle to catch the 2 guys in front of me (one was running about 79" and he is taller than me).

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 16, 2012, 10:14:49 AM »
Bill, Just to make sure I don't screwup and assemble my paddle with the shaft upside down, which way does the flex go? In other words, how do I tell which is the top and which is the bottom of the shaft?

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 16, 2012, 12:15:32 PM »
Bill, Just to make sure I don't screwup and assemble my paddle with the shaft upside down, which way does the flex go? In other words, how do I tell which is the top and which is the bottom of the shaft?

I'll answer my own question. The blade and the handle are different sizes and only fit in their respective ends so an idiot like me can't do it wrong. Clever guy that Bill.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 16, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
Paddled from San Clemente to my house this morning after the wind blew out my dawn patrol session.  Bobby Roger (Roger Hinds) still has my Wiki blade.  Used the Maliko.  WOW... I missed the Wiki!  I cannot believe that I am saying that. 

Rode Dave Kalama's new DW prototype (the one that he had at Hood River... shhhh don't tell him).  Crazy South wind cross chop... Not an easy paddle.  Super narrow... very reduced rocker... OH MY GOODNESS... was hopping onto the tiniest of bumps.  Very fast on flat water.  The South wind was pushing these micro bumps along the inside island in the harbor... The Imagine Kalama 14er (shaped by Mark) was hopping on each one...

I missed my Wiki... but I had fun on Dave's new toy!  See the classifieds... as I might be making room for this proto after the Imagine boys finish with it.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »
After you get used to a Wiki it takes time to get used to anything else--especially in a headwind or cross chop. The secret of going back to a bigger blade is... Slow down.

I know it should be obvious, but I actually have to tell myself that over and over. Wikis MAKE you pick up your cadence. Once your cadence is up there, if you switch to a Maliko you'll tire yourself out quickly, switch to a Molokai and you'll kill yourself. Once you slow down they're fine.

And then there's shaft length. I paddled a Molokai with a 79" overall length a few days ago just as an experiment. It felt good, and I was going pretty quickly, but when I opened it up to 81" it was WAY better. the longer shaft suits the slower stroke.

And then there's flex. A xTuf(S)  or xTuf clams a Wiki down a little, I think the flex introduces a little delay, and makes it less nutty (tech term). If you WANT to full steam then the 100Flex makes it fly. Likewise when you switch back to a big blade, the xTuf shafts make it easier on your shoulders, but you'll feel frustrated with the speed--they fell downright lazy. It's easier to transition if you use a 100Flex.

Really starting to see a pattern here with the shaft length, flex and blade size. I don't have enough data runs to have solid results for our test yet, I hope to get some more next week, But what I have so far shows a pretty good correlation of shaft length to blade size. Basically, if you want to go fast with a Wiki, go short.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1117 on: September 16, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
Is a short wiki going to be better with a 100 or a xTuf(s)? Just wondering which shaft I should shorten as my wiki shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 17, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
If you want to calm your Wiki down a bit, use the xTuf, if you're going for max cadence, use the 100Flex.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 18, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »
I need a new paddle ASAP! 
Broke my Kialoa Methane.
Would like a Ke Nalu for surfing only.
I'm on Maui. Any local shops sell them?

Obviously about to call a few.

Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »
Hi Tech on Maui has some, but not the full lineup. Been a while since we've heard from them. Try Blue Planet on Oahu--Robert Stehlick should be able to get you one ASAP and stick it in air freight for overnight delivery.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1121 on: September 19, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
Bill,
Are you planning to release a 3 piece adjustable version of your paddles? I need a good paddle which fits in the trunk of the car to use with my inflatable board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 19, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
Been planning on it for a long time, but actually getting around to it seems like it's taken forever--though really the first paddle we sold was at last year's BOP. We've got a nice design for it, that also converts to an OC paddle, but we need to get our manufacturing issues behind us before we take on a new project.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #1123 on: September 19, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
I need a new paddle ASAP! 
Broke my Kialoa Methane.
Would like a Ke Nalu for surfing only.
I'm on Maui. Any local shops sell them?

Obviously about to call a few.

Thanks!

S. Tokunaga Store in Hilo has a few, even the out of stock Wiki and can ship to Maui.  Ask for Mike (owner) or Eric  935-6965.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #1124 on: September 20, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
Hi Tech on Maui has some, but not the full lineup. Been a while since we've heard from them. Try Blue Planet on Oahu--Robert Stehlick should be able to get you one ASAP and stick it in air freight for overnight delivery.
Yes, we have them in stock and can ship to Maui via UPS next day air for $15.  We will size and assemble it at no charge or can send it in DIY pieces, like Bill  ;)

Call us if you can't find it in Maui.

Blue Planet Surf- Ward
540 Ward Ave.
Honolulu, Hi 96814

Tel. 808 596 7755
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal