Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553075 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #1035 on: August 22, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to this test. If this really is consistent we might be on to something interesting.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1036 on: August 22, 2012, 12:35:36 PM »
Can't wait to see your test.  Thanks for doing it.

catdailey

• Rincon Status
  • If it floats and has a stick, I'm there :>
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1037 on: August 22, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
Thanks to Jim K, I finally bit the bullet and got my Ke Nalu paddle. 78" Maliko with 100flex carbon. This is one hell of a paddle for sure. I had a great time playing with it today. I can't wait until I really can give it a good test  ;D
Cat

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
Jim is one of our top dealers, glad you had a good experience.  He keeps our feet to the fire for his customers. We think that's really cool.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1039 on: August 24, 2012, 05:20:55 PM »
Thanks Bill! And everyone should have one of his paddle bags. Awesome bags.

Set the new paddle to the same shaft length as the old one - 60" shaft. puts it at 80" overall give or take a bit.

When it cools off a bit I will let y'all know how it works out.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #1040 on: August 24, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
I had been using 13" over height with a competitors paddle.  When I bought my Wiki and Maliko, I initially started at the same 13" over, but cut down to 11".  It still felt a bit too long, mainly because the darn blade catches so well, at full extension.  So, I cut down to 9" on the Wiki with 100 flex blade, what a big difference.  I used this setup on my Ace, which got me sitting close to the water line, and on my friends Bullet V2, inches above the water, wow!  I seem to have less fatigue, so I have better paddling endurance.  Also, the recovery and switching sides takes less energy on a short paddle, no more hitting the board or slapping the water.  The short paddle puts me in that bent over position for better core engagement, versus standing straight up and arming it like many do.  What a huge revelation.  I encouraged my friend to do the same, and on his first day with a shorter Maliko, he was considerably faster, and I mean considerably!  Funny how I went from short paddle to long paddle and now back to short paddle.  Cool thing is, what was once considered surfing length, is also race length!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 25, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
I am not going to say anything about my surf session with the Wiki this morning... Don't want to sound like a bought and paid for shill... So i wont say anything  But Bill, can you let me know when you get more Wikis in.  Just for my information, of course. 

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Ke Nalus can make you cry
« Reply #1042 on: August 26, 2012, 06:25:10 AM »
Yesterdays CCBC saw a LOT of Ke Nalus on the water. But that wasn't what brought a tear to my eyes.

We had a teenage boy at the event yesterday, Simon, who is staying at Christopher's Haven while undergoing radiation treatment for a brain tumor at Mass General. He's going through pretty much the same thing I did. Yesterday was his first time ever on a standup board. He and Dan Olsen the founder of CH demoed some Naish boards while waiting for us to arrive and from all the comments I heard he fell in love with SUP. Simon asked to speak to the crowd during the after party so that he could thank everyone for the support and such a great day. A pretty impressive kid....I don't think there was a dry eye in the house...certainly not mine.

My daughter Jacqui who has always been part of the medical support for the crossing and did it for the 1st time yesterday bought $100 in raffle tickets and stuffed most of them in the bucket for the Ke Nalu. When I asked why she was doing that (she already has one of course) she told me I'd see if she won.

She won the paddle....... and then turned around and gave it to Simon. All I could think of was the day Bill gave me his board and what a life changing moment that has been for me. I was fighting back tears trying not to look like a blubbering old fool while I explained to Simon how to install the handle. I hope this does as much for him as its done for me.

Yesterday was a pretty special event even by CCBC standards.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:28:19 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:59 AM »
Bob, you have a lot to be proud of, on so many levels, jobs well done
Obfuscation through elucidation

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ke Nalus can make you cry
« Reply #1044 on: August 26, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »

She won the paddle....... and then turned around and gave it to Simon. All I could think of was the day Bill gave me his board and what a life changing moment that has been for me. I was fighting back tears trying not to look like a blubbering old fool while I explained to Simon how to install the handle. I hope this does as much for him as its done for me.

Yesterday was a pretty special event even by CCBC standards.

Darn it; Stoney... Always find a way to jerk a tear from my right eye, don't ya!   ;D    Paddle on;   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1045 on: August 26, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
i received a werner grand prix a few weeks ago as a birthday present.  nice paddle, light, sleek, etc.  decided to take it on my last training paddle for the CCBC, a 22-miler around Jamestown.  About 8 miles in, i knew i had made a mistake.  shoulders were toast and took days to recover. 

paddled 34 miles (i'm hearing 38?) in the CCBC yesterday.  used my wiki/xTuf setup.  i paddled, surfed, and high-fived a stranger today.  enough said.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1046 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
I had read all the claims about the KeNalu...
That it could provide a longer, fuller, more satisfying experience.
A ribbed shaft, incredibly stiff, more stamina, more power.  Doubles as a towel hook.  Blah blah

Then I used one yesterday at the CCBC.
And had an exertion lasting more than 12 hours.

No, I'm not going to call my doctor  :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:53:23 PM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

The_Dude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
Is it possible that people are cutting their Wikki paddles shorter because the blade of the Wikki is about 2" shorter than most other paddles? If one were to measure paddle length to the top of the blade (which should be at the water level during a stroke) then a Wikki paddle is the same length as all other paddles?

I'm only asking because I have a Wikki paddle in the mail and am going to start tinkering with length soon.

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 27, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »
I have my Wiki paddle cut three inches shorter than my other two paddles. Having the paddle shorter makes it easier to pick up my cadence. Although, it does take me a couple more digs to get up to speed. Having a shorter paddle also makes paddle side changes quicker.

I think it's kind of like piston rod length on an engine. with a shorter paddle you lose a little torque, but you gain RPMs.

Aloha,
Jeff
Aloha,
Jeff

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Wiki length
« Reply #1049 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »
Well, you have a point, Dude, but probably that's not where the magic is. The length difference comes out of the shoulder of the blade. What we're seeing is an even bigger length difference than the 1" difference between a Wiki and a Maliko. Using the simple extended arm measurement a typical race blade length is considered in the ballpark if you can curl your fingers over the handle. We're using them several inches below the wrist--about 4 to 5" shorter.

And VonR, you don't gain torque with a shorter connecting rod, mostly you change the piston speed profile. In theoretical terms a shorter rod delivers higher torque because with a shorter rod the force against the crankshaft is at a right angle sooner in the stroke while BMEP is higer. In practical terms unless the difference in length is more than 20 percent there isn't a difference.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:28:35 PM by PonoBill »

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal