Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553001 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #990 on: August 01, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »
I'm still tracking down the optimal length issue. For some reason Ke Nalu paddles seem to work better about an inch to 1.5" shorter than the length people are happy with with their other paddles. It seems like a particularly big deal with Wiki blades and flexier shafts, like the 90, the xTuf and the xTuf(s).

I'm trying to put together a good sized test with people other than me doing the paddling. I'll keep you posted, but I'd also like to hear what you might have discovered.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #991 on: August 01, 2012, 11:24:56 AM »
Bill, how much does shortening the shaft affect the flex?  I was using a xTuf and a 90-flex at the stock length but recently shortened the xTuf by 4" and the 90 by 2.5".  Seems like the xTuf was affected more than the 90 but I can't really tell.  Not in a bad way, just different.  Or is it all mental and retains the same flex until you start chopping off more than that?

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #992 on: August 01, 2012, 01:03:53 PM »
Bill I think a graph of arm span, height, and preferred shaft length would be pretty interesting to see. I would guess that those are are the important factors. Some people have huge monkey arms but are short, some people have short arms but are tall.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #993 on: August 01, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
JD and Bill,  love the paddle...does everything as advertised.  Took it out on a 8 miler yesterday and what a pleasure it was.   My body felt great and I could have paddled for many more miles.
Hard to explain what this paddle does and why or how, but it's a great addition for me.

CRtraveler- I can see why you like your paddle....Stoneaxe had recommended the paddle combination (Maliko, XtufS, extended Ergo T) and he was spot on...thanks Bob!

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 01, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »
Kayadogg: The first six inches of all our shafts are untapered, so you're not changing diameter, but shortening the shaft does change the flex. But it's pretty small. There's a lot going on with the xTuf shafts.

As I said previously, I'm getting data that I simply don't trust, so I need a bigger test. I'm going to try to set up at least ten people here in Hood River to do an extended test on the relationship of flex and shaft length to speed.

The slightly shorter shaft also seems to be much better for my shoulders. I did a very hard downwinder yesterday afternoon--went with Josh in his OC1 and we pushed it hard all the way. When I finished I could easily have gone back to Viento and done a second run. Part of that no doubt is the effect of doing LOTS of downwinders, but my shoulders are actually feeling better after a downwinder than before it. Like my knee feels better after a bike ride--heavily exercised but loose and warm.  
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:17:27 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »
Just wanted to follow up on my post from a week or so ago looking for advice on selecting a Ke Nalu paddle. Thanks for all the feedback. I got over to Cinnamon Rainbows this week and got to try out an XTuf Molokai. Great paddle! I couldn't believe how light it felt, even though it's probably the heaviest configuration they make.

I definitely noticed some flutter, but I'd guess it's because I was gripping it pretty tight, pulling hard against some wind and chop with a paddle that was a little bit shorter than I'd generally use. I was really impressed though how easy it felt getting moving pretty quickly, even against the wind.

Anyway, I decided to buy one, and wanted to give a shout out to Bill, and Dave and Kevin over at Cinnamon Rainbows for their help. I'm ordering a Molokai Elite 2nd with XTuf(S) blade and ergo-T handle and will report back on that one when I get it.

Luke

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 02, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
Yeah, for sure, loosen your hand, especially your lower one. Molokais track very straight, but they won't accept any attempt at guidance from you. You're in charge of pulling, they are in charge of steering. Takes a little getting used to.

Cinnamon Rainbows seems to be one heck of a good shop. Next time I'm on the East Coast I need to drop by there and Never Board in Rhode Island. Gotta say, East Coast surf shops are pretty cool. I loved the vibe and the layout at Matunuck Surf Shop and Surfari in Manchester.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 05, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
Is anyone practicing with a choked-down position on a Ke Nalu paddle? If so, do you have some idea of how far you typically move your upper and lower hands down the paddle? 

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #998 on: August 05, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
Top hand only 3 or 4 inches, bottom hand probably 6 or 7 inches or so. Less choke up than I use on my other paddle when doing the same thing, even though that paddle is shorter.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 08, 2012, 06:16:57 AM »
That's what I'm finding works best also. One more thing to be confused about. Looking at Connor's position with his Starboard paddle he gets both hands down about 15 inches--sometimes more. I've been trying a choked-down position on a Wiki and the best result seems to come no more than 8-10 inches.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1000 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »
That's what I'm finding works best also. One more thing to be confused about. Looking at Connor's position with his Starboard paddle he gets both hands down about 15 inches--sometimes more. I've been trying a choked-down position on a Wiki and the best result seems to come no more than 8-10 inches.

Yeah. It's interesting to me how little I move the top hand down compared to the bottom hand. My top hand is only 1-2" below the handle joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #1001 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:08 PM »
I just wanted to make post #1001.  Nothing comes close to Ke Nalu paddle stoke
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1002 on: August 08, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »
Is there a door prize?

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 08, 2012, 03:44:02 PM »
Is anyone practicing with a choked-down position on a Ke Nalu paddle? If so, do you have some idea of how far you typically move your upper and lower hands down the paddle?  

Yeah been working on it a little. A bit like swordfish I reckon I go about 4" down for top hand, maybe a little more.  I just let my lower hand go where it wants to, looks about 6-7" for lower hand...I seem to favour a bit wider grip when choking down.

On length...I went 'short' at first with the Wiki, around 9 1/2 to 10" (I'm 6'2)...then went as long as 12" overhead, felt more at ease with a taller stance there for a while but lost leverage & power, now I'm wanting to go shorter again, currently about 10 3/4" and still feeling like I want it shorter. More to do with me than the paddle I think, FWIW over our winter I've been riding a bike up hills, surfing a bit, stretching a lot and and lost some lard...my leg strength, flexibility, balance and reach have all improved as a result.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:05:51 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 08, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »
Is there a door prize?

There is!!  Swordfish gets a free paddle and bag of his choice, and I'm sending Tom a whole bandolier of them for starting this thread in the first place. Swordfish--please PM me you address, paddle choice and bag color. Tom, I already have yours.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal