Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551927 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #945 on: July 17, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
We're in Boston for the Challenge on the Charles, picked up the 18' Speedboard prototype from Bob Blair this morning and paddled it. Very nice, very fast. Bob is toast.

The Ke Nalu news though is that I saw four paddlers on the water today in bumping around the North Shore of Mass, two people doinking around on rental boards in Rockport, and two people on what looked like race boards near Manchester-on-the-Sea. I'm pretty sure both the race guys had Ke Nalus. I can spot them at a pretty long distance.

Fun to see that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #946 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »
Yeah.. no doubt I'm toast. That board is hot knife through butter slick.

It was probably Johnny O and Mike or Willis with the Ke Nalu's.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Confused a bit on which to get...
« Reply #947 on: July 18, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
After reading several dozen pages in this thread, I definitely want a Ke Nalu. But which one?

I'm currently paddling with a Werner Nitro and I've decided, it's too skinny. Super quick, light and smoot, but I just don't feel much power from it.

The Nitro at it's widest is about 7 3/16", give or take a smidge.

I've been paddling two years, usually place in top 3 in Rec/3-4 mile races, I'm about 5'6" and weigh 150 or so. Curretly paddling an 11'6" Amundson Aquaglide, surf style. I'm 47 years young, in good shape and fairly strong. I live in the Midwest so I paddle mostly flat water and want this paddle for racing, not surfing. I do surf, but the Nitro is ok for that.

That all said, I'm leaning toward the Maliko, but am totally confused on the shaft options. Reading about the early flex, then stiff, then pop on release sounds awesome, but which shaft is that?

So anyway, before I plop down almost 4 bills, ideas, thoughts, advice?
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 18, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
I also have a Nitro, which I still like even after getting a Ke Nalu Wikki and then a Maliko. I paired the Wikki with the xtuf shaft, and Maliko with a 90% shaft.  With my limited experience so far, comparing to the Nitro, I think you'd find the Wikki slighly less "powerful" overall, and the Maliko significantly more "powerful."  For your smaller size and weight, even with racing, I'm guessing the Maliko/90% would be a good complement to the Nitro.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:09:12 PM by SUPpaddler »

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #949 on: July 18, 2012, 05:03:38 PM »
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was leaning towards too.
Semper Fi!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 18, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
That's certainly a fine choice, though you might find a Maliko/xTuf(s) to be good as well.

I'm paddling a wiki with a 100 flex for this Speedboard, because it likes a high cadence. I'm finding with this particular board that a very short pull and high cadence makes it fly. It doesn't like long pulls at all. I'm puzzled as to why, but it's clearly so. Obviously so.

So now we're adding specific board characteristics to the mix and I'm back to not knowing WTF is going on. I can also tell it wants a shorter shaft, so the hotel hairdryer is getting a workout this evening.

Incidentally, we're closing on 1000 replies for this thread. That's fricken' crazy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #951 on: July 18, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
Thanks PonoBill for the reply.
But beyond rock resilience, why the xTuff? Is there something inherently better about it?
Semper Fi!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #952 on: July 19, 2012, 05:17:43 AM »
........... why the xTuff? Is there something inherently better about it?

Energy.

A shaft will flex.

When the xTuf flexes, it doesn't feel like all wasted energy.

There is a recoil kick of energy when the shaft snaps back.

The other shaft models, don't provide this feel.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: July 19, 2012, 05:19:08 AM »
Thanks PonoBill for the reply.
But beyond rock resilience, why the xTuff? Is there something inherently better about it?

Actually I was referring to the shaft. the xTuf(s) shaft is almost as light as the 90Flex and has a stacking characteristic that you might like a lot. It flexes like a 90 for the first inch, then stiffens up to about 100.  For all out racing I still prefer the 100 but the xTuf(S) is good for downwind and cruising.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: July 19, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Apparently we've confused a lot of folks with this xTuf(S). I had three phone calls about it today. Perhaps I can clarify. The 100Flex and 90Flex are made of 3K twill, a woven carbon fiber that has vertical and horizontal fibers. The 100 Flex is our stiffest, lightest shaft. Because of the taper, it flexes a little between your upper and lower hands, but not much between your lower hand and the blade. It gives immediate response and transmits all the power straight to the blade.

90Flex has a little more flex and weighs slightly more--about 10 grams. It has more flex between upper and lower hands and a tiny but of flex between lower hand and blade. If doesn't feel a lot more flexible than the 100Flex, but if you have shoulder or joint problems, or you just like your paddle to respond more gently, the 90Flex is a great choice.

The xTuf shaft is unidirectional carbon fiber, meaning it's not woven at all--it's fibers that are aligned vertically. We can angle the wraps at a bias to change the flex characteristics and make the shaft "stack", which means it bends easily at first and then gets progressively stiffer. All shafts stack some, but the xTuf shafts are made to stack a lot. The standard xTuf shaft stacks rapidly after the first three inches of flex, and stores a lot of energy as it does. It also introduces a little delay into the blade pull, which aids the catch and makes the paddle feel VERY smooth. It gives a substantial kick as you stop pulling which is nice when you're chasing a wave.

The xTuf(S) is a new unidirectional carbon shaft that stacks much more quickly. It flexes very easily for the first inch, and then virtually locks up. The second inch of flex takes almost 50 percent more force and brings it into the 90Flex range. At three inches it's close to 100Flex. What's that good for? Well, if you're racing, want fast response and full power from you paddle, but you have bad joints then your paddle will FEEL almost like a 100Flex, but at the end of a long race your joints won't hurt. You won't get as long of a kick from an (S) as you do from a standard xTuf, but it's there, which makes it great for downwind.

As to which shaft is right for you, the order is basically this:

Flat out racing, advanced surfing, no joint problems -- 100Flex
Flat out racing, surfing, some shoulder or upper back problems -- 90Flex
Racing, surfing, downwinding -- some shoulder problems--xTuf(s)
Racing, surfing, cruising, downwinding--shoulder and back problems -- xTuf

Serious power surfers making extreme moves also like the standard xTuf because you can lean into the shaft and flatten the blade,

Hope this helps.
I'm working on a chart.

Please feel free to add your comments about shafts. The issues around shaft flex in relation to blade size and overall performance have not been tested as much as they need to be, and the data we've been getting is inconclusive and often contradictory. We're still experimenting with them. I find new surprises every day. I've been practicing for the challenge on the Charles with a 16' Speedboard, which is a remarkable design. But I find it works best with a Wiki blade, and I'm wishing I'd brought an xTuf(S) shaft with me, I have a feeling it would be even faster. As it is, according to my GPS tests the board is .5mph faster with a Wiki than a Maliko, which is exactly the opposite of how my Bark behaves. I can immediately feel the difference, and I'm NOT a Wiki guy normally.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #955 on: July 20, 2012, 06:12:02 PM »
I like that,  'if you have' chart type set up.  It'll help when explaining.

My shoulders are miraculously holding up.

Hope all is well with you

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 21, 2012, 05:23:38 AM »
 Yes; Thanks for the 'in depth' description, Bill, and a chart would be great, too...
 Rep'ing these great stix and sometimes get overwhelmed with all the questions on flex, stiffness, handles, blade sizes, etc... Anything to make our job easier  ;D...      Paddle on;   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 21, 2012, 06:37:59 AM »
We're having an issue with some blades--some little dimples are showing up, generally near the tip. If you have some you can see them clearly in reflected light, but probably can't feel them by running your finger over the blade. I'd like to know how many blades exhibit these dimples.

They don't affect the paddle in any detectable way, but they are not supposed to be there. We don't know what causes them yet. We are willing to warranty these blades if you have dimples and want the blade replaced, but we'd like to see what happens to the blades with continued use. If your blade has dimples please take a photo and use the warranty form on our website to let us know about it. Please let us know if you are willing to keep your blade. If you are we will extend your warranty by a year to cover any further issue that might arise from the dimples.

You'd think this would be a simple thing to solve, but they show up in a very strange place, where the PVC core is very thin. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with overheating, sun exposure, or any kind of use issue.

mjd

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • neverbored board shop
    • Email
« Reply #958 on: July 21, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »
What we have left looks perfect Bill- completely smooth and uniform.  I'll check out the new shipment when it arrives. 
You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 21, 2012, 07:54:50 AM »
Had my Molokai xTuf for a week now, out on Lake Huron on some waves and just cruising around.  Loving it.  Not just the hold of the blade, but the other subtle features - smaller shaft diamater, sharkskin shaft texture, the extended ergo t handle is super comfortable, and the ability to play around with paddle length so easily - I'm enjoying a shorter length than usual as I tame the Molokai and I might add some length back with time.  Flex feels great and I'm not feeling like the Molokai is overpowering.  For me, the durability and price made the xTuf a great choice.  If I get more into racing I might have to get the 100 flex shaft, but the xTuf is feeling great for what I do.  My Dad just got a new carbon paddle recently from another top paddle brand, and it feels clunky in comparison despite still being a great paddle.

I have noticed a few dimples close to the tip of the blade already but wasn't too worried about it.  I'll send in a photo Bill, and I'm happy to keep the paddle and continue putting it through its paces.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal