Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551900 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #915 on: July 05, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
Yeah...I probably shouldn't chime in with that. No doubt better to use the good stuff.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 07, 2012, 01:06:34 AM »
I have used my Maliko Elite blade with Xtuf shaft for 2 and a halve week now and I think I need a bigger blade and a stiffer shaft...

It was the most expensive paddle I ever bought by a big margin but I really have to compare the Molokai Elite with the Quickblade Kanaha Large.

But the Norwegian Importer doesn't have stock and Bongo is ridiculously expensive

What about an EU importer?

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 07, 2012, 03:51:33 AM »
If you want an EU importer, you need to get someone interested in investing their money in inventory.  That means they need to feel they can move the inventory, at a profit .  You need to start a "buzz".  If you have a local shop that does it's own importing, ask it they carry them, even if you know they don't.  Get all your friends to ask.  Share your paddle, talk about it a lot.  Make them think there is a ready market waiting to be serviced.

If distribution is on the distributor level rather then the individual importer level, then you have to get the shops to ask them for it.  That means creating the buzz at the shop level rather then the individual level.  That is a bit harder, and likely take a concerted effort from many of the EU zoners all at once. 

The process is basically the same, be an evangelist, create name recognition, build a market for them.  EU sales is far more about someone in the EU wanting to sell them then it is about Bill wanting to sell in the EU.
Obfuscation through elucidation

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:21 AM »
I have already tried to interest some people no luck till now.

But I can only show them one paddle and to get one more via Bongo will cost me about 600$..

Perhaps I should become importer myself ;D

As long as I could start small I would't mind.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #919 on: July 09, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
Up at Cinnamon Rainbows in Hampton Beach yesterday to talk with Dave Cropper about carrying Ke Nalus. he's had my Maliko demo for about a month to get a chance to see how he and staff like it, what customer response might be, etc..  It's already Dave's go to paddle and we were talking about what to order for the shop. Talk about good timing...as we're standing there talking a customer comes in from a gear demo and lesson. He and his wife want some gear for their place in Rincon. Dave asks how it went, 'We don't quite have the boards figured out yet but I LOVE this paddle, I'll take one of these for sure"..of course he had my Ke Nalu in his hands. Dave and I laughed and he introduced me. I asked if his wife would like to look at the Wiki that I had with me. The paddle is cut for a shorter person (my wife) about her size and while I haven't weighed it I'm pretty sure its under 14 oz...her response was OMG! "I'll take one of each". So if you are in the Hampton Beach area and interested give Dave a call. He'll have them in soon.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 10:20:36 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #920 on: July 10, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »
Anyone used a Molokai with an xtuf or the most flexible elite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #921 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:35 AM »

I did...didn't like it. Too much flex for me with the big blade but it was mostly because I use my paddle a lot for balance and need the support and instant response. I went out on a bumpy choppy day with chest high waves and the flex was throwing me off as I tried to brace. It was really noticeable going out through the whitewater. I only paddled it for about 15 mins before going in and switching. I'd probably have a different impression if I had gone out on a clean day. My shoulders are good too so I don't need the relief the flex gives. Everyone's mileage will vary of course though. I'm sure some folks would love it. It's all so personal and the reason I tell everyone they need to demo if possible. If you can't demo but are looking for some shoulder relief I'd suggest the x-tufS or the 90 flex. My go to paddle is the Molokai with a 90 flex. I'm 6-4 265.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:15:33 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 10, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »

Tried it, didn't like it. I now use the xTuf with a Maliko and love it. Seems to be the right mix of paddle blade size with flex. My shoulders were starting to trouble me with my old paddle, but the problems have all but gone away with the xTuf shaft.

Now if I could only get my lower back to stop hurting...anyone have a paddle for that?
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #923 on: July 10, 2012, 07:47:25 AM »
Keep in mind with flex the length has a lot to do with it.  My Xtuf wiki cut at 75.5 that I use for surfing flexes but not a bunch.  Big Ed at 6'2" or 6'3" with Maliko Xtuf had massive flex.  I attribute that more to the length of the shaft than blade size. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 10, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
I like the xTuf/Molokai combo for downwinders and surfing, though the Maliko/100Flex is still my goto combination. The xTuf(S) shaft is a good combination with the Molokai if you need a little shoulder love.

Superstitious--try a little added length--not a lot, just edge up in 1/2" increments and see if your back pain diminishes. Mine's gone completely, my back hasn't felt this good in 20 years, in fact I've almost forgotten I ever had back pain. It was literally a matter of a little over an inch for me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #925 on: July 10, 2012, 08:39:16 AM »
My thought on the Molokai and flexible shaft was that with the proper technique you could get a lot back at the end of the stroke.

Also barring that it could relieve some of the stress at the catch but still give you plenty of power once the shaft stacked.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »
My thought on the Molokai and flexible shaft was that with the proper technique you could get a lot back at the end of the stroke.

But you loose drive where it matters most: at the start of the stroke.
I only use my xTuf shafted peddle when my elbow is sore.I have got a golfers elbow and I don't even play golf.

I like to plant my paddle and pull myself down a wave in one stroke.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 10, 2012, 09:16:26 AM »
Soekip:

Do your hands get wet, so you have to really grip the paddle shaft tight?  I got golfers elbow too.  I belive mine started last summer when I started to sweat, and had to grip my Epic wing paddle (surfski) really tight. 

If that's the case, the texture on the Ke Nalu shaft ought to help.  I think it helped my golfer's Elbow.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
that's absolutely right. Some people are fine with that, I like the little boot at the end, but if you're not used to the delay it's irritating. I need to figure out a way to get a stiff shaft to soepkip. Freight has gone completely insane.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »
I'm super pleased with my new xTuf S shaft. I have used it 3 times. I found the regular xTuf to have too much flex for my long 83"shaft. In my opinion the the S is a lot stiffer, but my body is ok with it. I can now paddle out through the surf zone more effectively and catch flat deep water waves that require a lot of yanking. The turbo lag is gone; A factor I liked with the regular xTuf. The S is a good compromise solution for me. All my other paddles are for sale, as I'm convinced Ke Nalu paddles are far superior and refined.

I was not pleased with $30 to ship, just a shaft.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal