Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 552999 times)

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #900 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
At the consumer level, I believe the amber translucent stuff is called high strength hot glue or something like that.  It should not be hard to find, but maybe not at a craft store
Obfuscation through elucidation

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 04, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
Ke Nalu has chosen to take a somewhat different approach with their paddles by providing a high level of flexibility and customization.  With the flexibility comes what I suppose some might see as a compromise in that it is not fool-proof, does not ship ready to use and therefore requires a little more involvement/knowledge/responsibility from the user. I happen to see this as a huge plus. There's a real comfort in knowing exactly how my equipment goes together, how to fine tune and adjust and repair it at a moments notice. This not only assures I have the right tool for the job at any given moment, but also tends towards making me more aware and involved with the condition of my paddle and its readiness. Can't really say the same with other paddles I've owned and I've paid the price a time or 2 as well. It's so freaking easy to take things/your equipment for granted.... to just grab and go.  This is a good reminder that whatever brands you choose, prior to going offshore, it's always a good idea to do a quick inventory and safety check of yourself and your equipment.

Speaking of which, it's now time for me to do a quick inventory of the ice chest and check on the state of the marinade. Don't wanna be caught unprepared, ya knw?  Happy 4th to all!!!!

Mana Karma

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #902 on: July 04, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
Having only seen and held the paddle, I can't comment on the actual use of the paddle. Yesterday I picked up a friends paddle though, and noticed the shaft had a good amount of water splashing around inside. Looked like the leak was at the connection with the blade... He had no idea of the leak/water, but considering I am thinking of buying a Ke Nalu, I am wondering if this a result of user error in putting it together? Have others experienced something similar? Can this problem be easily remedied or avoided?

Thanks in advance

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 04, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »
Sure. All you need is a hairdryer and perhaps a little hot glue. Here's the easy way. Warm up the shaft a little with a hairdryer or heat gun to see where the leak is--handle or blade. The water will usually trickle out or you'll see a bubble.  Let's say it's the blade. Use the hairdryer to take the blade off and dump out the water. If you don't have enough glue on the ferrule, add a little hot glue by heating the stick in the hairdryer airstream and dabbing some on the ferrule. Warm up the inside of the shaft, warm up the ferrule so the glue is melted. push it back together with a little twisting in and out motion to get the glue well distributed. Line up the handle with the blade while it's all still hot.

Sometimes people don't heat the inside of the shaft enough and the glue gets distributed funny. Usually the only symptom is a little water leak since the ferrule only needs about 50% coverage to resist over 100 foot pounds of torque. Generally you don't need more glue, just remelt, make sure everything gets warm--especially the inside of the shaft, and stick it back together with a little twisting.

Much easier to fix a leak with a Ke Nalu than with an epoxy-assembled paddle.

Now just borrow that buddies paddle for a little run and see what these paddles are REALLY about.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:01:19 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 04, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
 Are you guys sure you are attaching the blades (or handles) to the shaft correctly?  Make sure you twist as you insert...
 I've put together around 9 and have yet to have one fail (of course, I've just now jinxed myself)...              Paddle on; JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 04, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
I need to redo the videos. Make the hot glue part a little more clear. I'm worried about people heating the shafts too much, but it doesn't seem to be happening. It's pretty foolproof if you do it right, but I need to show the methods a little more clearly.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 04, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
PB, I think you have a process that is pretty damn close. If there is assembly required, it's virtually impossible to be compleeeeeetely foolproof. As a certified impatient fool, I've clearly proven that many times by jumping into a project after having only rapidly skimmed through provided instructions. But... specific, simple, concise, clearly demonstrated, step by step instruction is always a good thing and maybe even followed by a simple quality assurance test to assure a secure, watertight fit. Cheers.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #907 on: July 04, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
I swam about 50 yards today with my KeNalu in my hand in the water, didn't take on a drop of water. Even after setting the handle twice and losing a bit of glue in the process.

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #908 on: July 04, 2012, 08:13:18 PM »
Having only seen and held the paddle, I can't comment on the actual use of the paddle. Yesterday I picked up a friends paddle though, and noticed the shaft had a good amount of water splashing around inside. Looked like the leak was at the connection with the blade... He had no idea of the leak/water, but considering I am thinking of buying a Ke Nalu, I am wondering if this a result of user error in putting it together? Have others experienced something similar? Can this problem be easily remedied or avoided?

Thanks in advance

The first time I put mine together I didn't heat the glue enough and didn't twist the handle enough for an even application of glue. The handle twisted a little while paddling and got a little bit of water inside. Absolutely all user error and was easily fixed.

Also, the first stroke I took with it I fell right over the side because the entry was so smooth I had no idea the blade was in the water until I was too far over to recover. Four sessions later I'm hooked.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
As an added measure... Just in case there is an air channel, I put some orange tape around each connection.... And a band of orange tape around the shaft just below where I SHOULD place my lower hand... Serves both purposes nicely.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #910 on: July 04, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »
I've been using whatever hot glue that my wife had in her craft supplies when I had a need to reapply. I had a small leak after having adjusted the extended handle many time for demos and my own testing of lengths. Each time I pulled the handle out a small amount of glue gets left on the top of the shaft when I push it back in. Seems like 5 or 6 times in and out and you need a little more glue. If you are only installing and leaving it in it works fine so long as you make sure its all nice and gooey. I push it in which leaves a small rim of glue on the shaft...pull it back out with a slight twist which distributes that rim of glue back onto the handle evenly then push it back in with another twist back and forth. Let it cool slightly and peel off any excess. I haven't had any leaks on the paddles I have with regular handles.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #911 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:17 PM »
So the type of hot glue isn't an issue? I would like to have a stash on hand for removal/fine tuning, etc. Can I safely use the stick type or is there something more specific I should be after?

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 05, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
So the type of hot glue isn't an issue? I would like to have a stash on hand for removal/fine tuning, etc. Can I safely use the stick type or is there something more specific I should be after?

Probably makes sense to let Bill chime in on this question, but if you can locate a hot glue called Dura-Tac, I would recommend that. The challenge is finding it in quantities of less than 5 lbs.

Stuff is pretty much bullet proof, and what is most impressive is how strong it stays even in cold temperatures (meaning it won't get brittle in winter water temps).
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #913 on: July 05, 2012, 08:44:32 PM »

If you find some locally let me know, I may need to get some just in case.

Decorative and useful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Somewhere in this thread, Bill suggested using the high strength, amber-colored sticks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal