Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553142 times)

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #870 on: June 25, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
My son took all of my Ke Nalu paddles to Coronado for the weekend... Even the paddle that said
DON'T TOUCH THIS PADDLE on a sign above the paddle. I decided to cut him a break and not make him get up at 4 to meet me for my surf. Kneecap lent me an old Kanaha. Wow!  That was a really tough session. Using an entirely different paddle... On a small volume SUP, let's just say that there wasn't a ton of confidence.   Fun little waves. I missed
My Ke Nalu something vicious. Still trying to work out an appropriate punishment for Jr.  So far, I am stuck on "grounded for life."

I say you get him an aluminum and plastic paddle and make him use that until he can pay for his own KeNalu

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 25, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »
I say you get him an aluminum and plastic paddle and make him use that until he can pay for his own KeNalu

Now that is child abuse, we would have to call police on that. :D
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: June 25, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
 Relax Strand... I've raised three of them buggers. Castration always worked pretty good for me  ;)....   Paddle on;  JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 25, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »
People have been complaining that Pono's an ass, I think they meant that KeNalu Kicks Bass

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 25, 2012, 08:32:08 PM »
I confused some folks and created some grief for our dealers by adding the option of choosing xTuf shafts for the elite paddles--it made the price on the website read "from $335" which is what an elite blade with an xTuf shaft costs, but having that combination as an Elite Paddle doesn't really make sense since it's already covered as "downwinder" paddles and you can choose anything you want with the custom paddle option. I was just being clever--sorry for the confusion.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #875 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Nice fish Beasho...I saw a huge school of pretty big stripers yesterday tearing up a bait ball. I need to at least start bringing a hand line all the time on my distance paddles.

Geez...will you stop screwing with the site.... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:52 AM »
People have been complaining that Pono's an ass, I think they meant that KeNalu Kicks Bass

Just kidding of course, I realize this is a review site and Pono's products and service and even his demeanor are top knotch.  And, the paddle works well for fishing because it is . . .  light and stealthy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 26, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »
No reason for delicacy. I firmly believe that if you live your life honestly at least half the people you meet will think you're a jerk and half will think you're great. If more than half think you're great you're a fake or a politician (redundant).  For many years my stated goal for leaving parties was to have someone ask "who WAS that asshole". I've mellowed a bit
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #878 on: June 28, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
Wow. That paddle feels so much different than my old one(BW carbon/wood). Noticeably lighter and a much more precise feeling instrument. It's like switching between an M4 and an AK. Both do the job, one is just much less refined. Definitely feel like I was getting the same results out of less effort. Need to cut another inch or so off it, but I'll get it tuned in in a couple days.

Also the stacking effect of the Xtuf shafts that Bill mentioned - its not a joke. You get a tiny bit of flex at the beginning of the stroke, then the paddle stiffens up, and then you get a little flick as you go to pull it out at the end. Very cool feeling and feels very good.

Only thing that was a little strange was the size of the handle. I got the ergo, and it's about half the width of the handle on my BW paddle(that's what it feels like anyways). But its definitely not uncomfortable or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 28, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
Thanks for the punishment suggestions folks. As jr had my favorite 20 year old black cap toe oxfords recrafted, and paid for it himself (a pretty penny) ... I cut him some slack.  But if he touches my paddle again without asking, it's gonna get ugly!
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #880 on: June 28, 2012, 08:39:23 PM »
Apologies if this question has already been addressed, but...

any word on the Kenalu adjustable?  what will be the maximum length?

I am in the market for my 1st paddle - new to the sport, will be touring & surfing, and I'm a little overwhelmed with all the info on correct paddle length out there.  I think it might be easier to start with an adjustable so I can try different lengths before one day investing in the ultimate, perfectly customized  one-piece...  ;)

Also I'm tall with long arms (6'2"), would need something that gets up there in length (maybe to around 88-90)

Thanks!  Oh yea - any recommendations on other brands that make a good adjustable, possibly (but not necessarily) at a price point?

/mitch
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #881 on: June 29, 2012, 05:28:19 AM »
Just get a Kenalu with the extended Ergo T handle.  The hot glue adjustment makes it no problem to change the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #882 on: June 29, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »
Any user feedback on the xTuf-S?  Curious to hear feedback from anyone that has grabbed one already and has spent some time with it.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #883 on: June 29, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »
Any user feedback on the xTuf-S?  Curious to hear feedback from anyone that has grabbed one already and has spent some time with it.

I got an xTuf-S. You can definitely feel the initial flex and the unload right at the end, but it's not so much that it like a wet noodle. It is right about where you want it IMO. I think there might be times where I want an Elite 100, but I think as an all around paddle the xTuf-S is it.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
 Surfed with the xTuf-S all day yesterday... My other xTuf (regular) is hot-glued to a Wiki blade but the xTuf-S is currently glued to a Maliko. I'm kinda leaning toward the Maliko blade size as best for me as I like the blend of power and cadence it gives me. The xTuf-S shaft is sure stiffer than the regular xTuf which has a ton of flex. Just can't decide, at this point, which I like better. Gotta get more time on it!...       Paddle on; JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal