Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551907 times)

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #810 on: June 15, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
Yes, cut the handle end.

Bill, question for you....is there a reason why the shaft shouldn't be cut at the blade end? I think I recall that the shaft is flexiest at the handle end. I would imagine that cutting it at the blade end would result in a flexier shaft, at least lower down the shaft than normal.

Would love to get your thought on this.
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #811 on: June 15, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »
HAHAHA you may be right. Tried it this morning and plan to again tomorrow morning :) Get ready to drop some cash, once you try it you'll be ordering. If I don't make it by the shop before I go back to work Sunday, I'll get you my contact info and figure out a way to get it to you for a demo.

Maybe you can talk the bosses at your shop into becoming a dealer? I thought I read on Pono's website that he was looking for gulf coast shops. I'm really hoping SUP picks up a lot more down here, good gear is hard to find locally.

I'm wondering about the difference between the xtuff and 100 that I got. Other than cost savings is there a noticeable difference?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #812 on: June 15, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »
Regular xTuf has a soft feel, spring like. The 100 you know. The xTuf S flexes easily initially then goes stiff. Good for the shoulders, good for the blade to set and release air, still lots of power and response in the pull.....at least that what Bill tells me....I still haven't got one myself..... ;D.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #813 on: June 15, 2012, 09:32:13 PM »
HAHAHA you may be right. Tried it this morning and plan to again tomorrow morning :) Get ready to drop some cash, once you try it you'll be ordering. If I don't make it by the shop before I go back to work Sunday, I'll get you my contact info and figure out a way to get it to you for a demo.

Maybe you can talk the bosses at your shop into becoming a dealer? I thought I read on Pono's website that he was looking for gulf coast shops. I'm really hoping SUP picks up a lot more down here, good gear is hard to find locally.

I'm wondering about the difference between the xtuff and 100 that I got. Other than cost savings is there a noticeable difference?

I am very much thinking about bringing that up. I saw the same thing on Pono's website today. If I can get it in Jamie's hands we may have a chance.

And if you want we could find a day that works for both of us and I can try the KeNalu and you can try my Raven.

EDIT: I just looked - the closest KeNalu dealers are Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:38:39 PM by swordfish1227 »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 15, 2012, 09:43:30 PM »
Yes, cut the handle end.

Bill, question for you....is there a reason why the shaft shouldn't be cut at the blade end? I think I recall that the shaft is flexiest at the handle end. I would imagine that cutting it at the blade end would result in a flexier shaft, at least lower down the shaft than normal.

Would love to get your thought on this.

You can take two inches off the blade end, but there's an extra wrap on the blade end to reinforce the shaft. It's six inches long so cutting off 2 inches is OK, but not really a great idea.

The handle end isn't tapered for the first six inches, after that it gets slowly larger in diameter, but it's only 1/4" of taper over 55" of length, so it's pretty slow. You can take 12 inches off before you need to get one of our fat handles, and even then it's not really necessary, I've cut a shaft to outrigger canoe length and just used a little extra glue.

You won't feel a difference in flex, it would only show up if you traced the curve of the shaft under load. The shaft is straighter between the lower hand and the blade, and has most of the curve between lower hand and upper.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPerstitious

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 15, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
there's an extra wrap on the blade end to reinforce the shaft

This part makes perfect sense. Thanks Bill!
I'm gettin' funny dreams again and again
I know what it means, but …

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 15, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »
My bro with the shoulder issues tried the x tuff wiki that I built up for him for his b day  He was totally blown away. We met up for just a few minutes today to go over some issues and had a million things to talk about... And I had about four minutes to devote to the discussion as I was on my way from somewhere to somewhere...

As I was leaving, he started raving about the Ke Nalu... He looked like the guy who figured out that you could use fire to cook things... I finally told him, "Dude, I have to get back to the office... I am running super late.  Fill me in tomorrow."

Another satisfied Ke Nalu customer!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #817 on: June 15, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
"He looked like the guy who figured out that you could use fire to cook things"

Prometheus... and look what happened to him

Watch out Pono.  The paddle gods are checking you out.

Just one glass tonight.  Speed runs to the harbor resume tomorrow.

kauaidoc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #818 on: June 16, 2012, 12:58:57 AM »
Aloha to all.  This is my first post but I have read the entire thread.  Bill,  we met briefly a few years ago at a race in the Gorge.  I have followed Ke Nalu since then. I have relocated from Portland, OR to Kauai  with my family  and have been able to  get on the water on an almost daily basis.

I got my first Ke Nalu paddle recently and logged a lot of surf sessions with it before inadvertently donating it to the local SUP community by leaving it in the parking lot after coming in after dark from a long session.  Hopefully the new "owner" will submit a review too :-\.   I had no hesitation in ordering  a replacement paddle. I just can't go back to my old paddles

Anyway, on to the goods...

Kind of paddling you do with your Ke Nalu:  surfing.  Downwinding to begin soon
Thickness of your board: 4 and 1/8 ( custom polyester Laird 10'0 thruster)
Your extended arm height--from the floor to the wrinkle of your wrist: 83
Length of your previous paddle for this kind of paddling: 80 ( cut short due to shoulder pain issues)
Brand  Werner Carve ,  Kialoa Methane, demo'ed many others
Length and type of Ke Nalu:  Molokai elite plus fiberglass xtuf shaft at 83 inches

This is a fantastic piece of engineering.  Ridiculously light,  strong, and beautiful.  I immediately felt a major improvement in smooth application of power across the entire stroke. I am definitely catching waves I would have otherwise missed.  I and using a longer shaft allowing more hip rotation, more catch without shoulder overload.  Only slight quibble is subjectively possibly a little too much flex when surfing larger waves.  I have ordered the xtuf -s carbon for my new paddle. 

For anyone out there who is on the fence, this really is the best all round paddle out there at any price IMO. When you add in the hot glue adjustability and travel breakdown possibilities, there is just nothing even in the same ballpark.  No comparison. Not even close.

Bill, I have also been using your tail handle idea with a da kine kite board heel strap for a couple of years.  Amazing!!  It really makes a SUP session in larger surf safer and more enjoyable when you have an option for better board management when caught inside.  The SUP duck dive....

Many Many Mahalos for your hard work in bringing such a great piece of equipment to the SUP community with a grassroots effort.  See you on the water.  All pau

Aloha

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 16, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
You're going to love the xTuf (S).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #820 on: June 17, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
Does it matter which end of the shaft you cut before you glue it on to handle and blade?  I always cut the upper shaft (handle) but thought I'd double check as I'm helping my brother in-law with his.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 17, 2012, 05:37:03 PM »
You can take two inches off the blade end, but I don't recommend it. The handle end of the shaft isn't tapered for the first six inches--specifically designed to be cut without changing the diameter.

In other words, cut the handle end.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #822 on: June 17, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
Great!  Thanks for the quick response.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #823 on: June 17, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »
Is there a noticeable difference in the 90flex versus the 100flex?  I have been using the 90flex for the past couple of months.  I used it for surf and flatwater/racing but having picked up a wiki/xTuf, I use the 90 strictly for racing now.  I can't help but notice the flex, usually start of races and when I'm really digging or against the wind.  Just wondering if the 100 will be noticeably stiffer in this type of situation? 

Pono, you must now know what a crack dealer feels like.  We just keep coming back for more, especially when you put out new product.

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #824 on: June 17, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
Pono, you must now know what a crack dealer feels like.  We just keep coming back for more, especially when you put out new product.

This is rather worrying to some of us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal