Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553252 times)

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #795 on: June 12, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
My KeNalu Maliko Elite blade/Xtuf shaft is on its way from Norway to the Netherlands!
The Norwegian importer was very helpful.
Now I just hope Dutch customs won't delay delivery and charge me to much.
And I hope I made the right choice of blade and shaft, I just can't afford ordering another paddle...

It took exactly a week for my paddle to travel from Norway to Amsterdam and for the last 3 days:
   Package is in customs clearance

Bummer. I feel for you. We have 300 paddle bags that have been sitting in LA for the last week, they got randomly selected for closer inspection. Third time that's happened to us. I generally means a week or more delay and the packages show up taped back together with a couple miles of customs tape. If it's increased security, then I'm fine with waiting. Still it's a bit of a drag.

My paddle is still in custom clearance, for a week now..it's probably gone cost me another €100
What about an  EU distributer ??
Perhaps I can import a few paddles for myself and my buddies (and my wife and daughter) ?
So we  can test all options: 3 sizes blades including seconds and Xtuf, the different shafts and the extended handle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 12, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »
Terribly sorry about that. I haven't been able to get the attention of any of the distributors I've sent email to. I'll keep trying.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 14, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
Looks like we might finally have a distributor for the UK. I suspect that a European distributor should be someone in France or perhaps Spain--they have the fastest growth rates for SUP according to my research. Anyone know who the best EU distributor might be?

On another note, we are out of Wiki seconds. It will probably be six months before we see more. Molokais are dwindling fast. At the current rate we should have Maliko seconds for a few more weeks, though dealers are starting to grab them up along with xTuf S shafts. It's pretty attractive to be able to offer a paddle similar in weight and performance to a $375 paddle for $285 without any discount.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Scottiver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 14, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
Yes Bill that is such an attractive option that I couldn't stand it any longer and ordered me up a Maliko second with xTuf S shaft and ergo T handle. I'm counting the seconds until I get a shipping notice, and then i'll be counting the seconds until it arrives on my doorstep. I can't wait.
Where are these shipping from? The Gorge?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 14, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
Yup. You can see the swells from the warehouse. Nukin today, but it dropped just before a bunch of us went. Lots of fun though. I was using your paddle, but I'll clean it up before Carmen ships it.

Just kidding. If I did something like that Carmen would take my warehouse key away.

Scottiver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 14, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »
Ha Ha! Good one! I'll let you rent it for $20/day then you can ship it in about two weeks and we'll call it even.  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 14, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »
You're going to love the xTuf S shaft. I really did use one today for a downwinder. It's so forgiving. 8.4 miles of hard paddling against a pretty good current and my shoulders feel warm and comfy. Better than a shot of cortisone.

stvandev

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #802 on: June 14, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »
Looking at these paddles along with the new Werner Grand Prix.  Tried a friends Maliko for a few minutes, really clean catch but the shaft was short for me.  How many people are using the Molokai?  Don't see many reviews.  I'm 6'3" and 195 lbs, and currently using a GSI large blade paddle with a pretty flexy shaft.  Most of my paddling is racing is distance with some downwinding and surfing when conditions are good.  Anyone's take on the big blade would be appreciated.
Focus SUP Hawaii Ambassador

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 14, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »
I scored !!!  ordered the Wiki second and the Xtuf S shaft the other day. Must of been just before they sold out. My wife does not know that I got her the Wiki, I will put the XTUF shaft on hers and the XTUF S on my Maliko. I'm Loving this Paddle !!   

It is definitely the most forgiving and light paddle I have used. I did a 5 mile down wind run and paddled my heart out. I have had a sore shoulder and elbow so I have not paddled much at all and when I did I just cruise with my wife. I paddled HARD the whole 5 miles and was using my 12'6"  so I had to paddle to get the bumps . I finished the run and had NO PAIN in my shoulder or elbow, and I ended up waiting at the end for a  friend on his F-16 v2 ...  awesome.  The XTUF shaft might be a bit to much flex for racing but I have a hunch the XTUF S will be the ticket. I will be trying at the wet feet race from Sunset beach to Haleiwa this month. can't wait. I love how you can swap the components out so easily and also the extension handle. Between my 17 bullet and my 12'6" I can easily add or take away length.  Brilliant !!

Thanks again Bill

Aloha

Scotty

Thanks Bill.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 15, 2012, 07:25:36 AM »
Terribly sorry about that. I haven't been able to get the attention of any of the distributors I've sent email to. I'll keep trying.

I would say get one in the Netherlands ;D

I received my paddle today,customs charged me another 60€,not to bad...
It came sort of unexpected, the tracking page still says it is in custom clearance...

It is unassembled, should I cut at the handle side?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 15, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »
Yes, cut the handle end. There are videos explaining how to assemble here: http://www.kenalu.com/paddle-tips/assembling-your-new-ke-nalu-paddle/

One thing not covered (I have to re-do the videos) if that you don't want to get the ferrules too hot--an even heat of both shaft and ferrule is preferable. Hairdryers are actually better to use than a heat gun, though heat guns are a lot faster. Then when you put the ferrule into the shaft, give it a twisting in-and out motion to spread the glue, then push it home.

Sorry about the customs hassle. Wow, 60 Euros for customs? You'd think that because the parts are "unfinished good" it would be much less.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Well, I managed to piss off everyone by talking about the xTuf(S) shaft here on the Zone before I briefed our dealers, our warehouse manager, and even Diane. The first two orders of xTuf(S) went out with standard xTufs in the box, because no one but you folks and me knew anything about them. We had people calling our dealers ordering xTuf(S) and the dealers said "what the heck are you talking about?"  Our warehouse manager, Carmen, hadn't even checked the shafts into inventory. I opened the box and pinched a few shafts. They're gonna take my key away, I just know it.

Sorry folks. I got a little carried away (they really do have a lot of cool secret sauce in them). Next time we'll make sure everyone hears about it at the same time.

We're also kind of running ahead of our labeling. We have all new product labels in the works, as well as stickies, dealer signage and some apparel. It's coming and it's gorgeous. But in the meantime, if you get a xTuf(S) shaft there should be a little blue label on it that says 70. If it says 60 it's a standard xTuf.

And the shafts show up as xTuf(S) shafts on the site now, so the S is a little more obvious on the packing slip.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:21:57 AM by PonoBill »

Scottiver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 15, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
Just got my shipping notification email, yeah!!! I hope there's an "S" on my shipping label.
Now the waiting begins. It will be here on Tuesday.
Guess i'll have to beg, borrow or steal a hair dryer from somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:57:00 PM by Scottiver »

swordfish1227

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #808 on: June 15, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
Now I'm worried I may never get to demo one since I don't think Jake has let go of his since he received it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 15, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »
Tim cutting for me became easy for me with a diamond impregmated hacksaw blade and length adjustments simple with an ace heat gun.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard