Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553110 times)

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #750 on: June 07, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
I got my Ke Nalu X-Tuf yesterday from Lee at Rogue Wave in Canada. Put it together this morning (hot glue is the cats ass BTW). I can't believe how light it is, and the blade is a work of art. I soon as I get a break from work I'm hitting the water with it. Can't wait. Post back after my first paddle.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #751 on: June 07, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
So building a factory 2nd the extended ergo T handle is $50 extra verses only $20 more in the components part of the Web site?  Am I doing something wrong ?

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
Not really, the extended ergo T is a $65 part and a $50 option. The standard handle is included in a paddle price but when you swap out the extended handle for it it's a $50 option. We list a price for standard handles just for completeness sake. No one actually buys them, though we're fine with selling them.

As always there's some pricing funniness. it's not all completely logical, some of the pricing is driven by goofy internal stuff. We just do the best we can to make it seem rational.

This is probably as good a time as any to announce a program I've been working on. I call it "the Forever Paddle" though of course nothing lasts forever. In fact this program is an experiment that might fail miserably, so I should call it "Forever or until this proves to be too much of a PIA to do Paddle" though the acronym for that (FOUTPTBTMOAPIATDP) is a little unhandy.

Here's the deal. If you break a part on a Ke Nalu paddle, you send a picture of the broken part and we send you an electronic coupon that lets you buy the component for half price. Yes, we know people could abuse that. But most people won't and they are the folks we care about. So you could own your Ke Nalu paddle like Abe Lincoln's axe--it's had five new handles and three new heads but it's still Abe's axe.

Of course if the damage is from normal use within the warranty period it's a warranty claim and we cover that for free. But outside the warrantly period, or if you slam it in a door or step on the blade it's just half the price of the component to fix it.

The mechanics of the program still need work. Step one is to get the shipping for smaller stuff to be rational--right now we charge a flat rate of $35 simply because our shipping estimator program sucks toads. But we're working on that and should have a solution shortly.

We'll have the details up under the warranty tab on the site soon. Just thought you folks should be the first to know.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #753 on: June 07, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
I think it’s a great idea, as long as its damage and not cosmetic to claim the coupon.
Your “Forever Paddle” warranty program will add to your “Forever Customers”.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SUPerLEO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #754 on: June 07, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
Just got my replacement Molokai elite in today thanks bill. Gonna get the hair drier after practice and put it together. I'm liking the forever paddle deal

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
8'4 Johnston
8'0 starboard tiki
8'10 hypr kinimaka

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 07, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
sounds like a solid plan....I like it....now I just gotta pull the trigger....still dragging my feet waiting to hear on the xtuf shaft in the stiff version......?
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 07, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
Bill:

Does the innovation never stop?  (Now about that bent shaft....)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »
I got a few email messages from folks that clearly don't understand the concept. NO, that doesn't mean we can sell our paddles for half their current cost. We're going to lose money every time someone wants to take advantage of the program, just as we do with a warranty. But, just as with our warranty, the theory is that not many people will need to take advantage of it, and it will add more value to our paddles than it costs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 08, 2012, 12:14:36 AM »
My KeNalu Maliko Elite blade/Xtuf shaft is on its way from Norway to the Netherlands!
The Norwegian importer was very helpful.
Now I just hope Dutch customs won't delay delivery and charge me to much.
And I hope I made the right choice of blade and shaft, I just can't afford ordering another paddle...

It took exactly a week for my paddle to travel from Norway to Amsterdam and for the last 3 days:
   Package is in customs clearance

930chas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #759 on: June 08, 2012, 04:53:47 AM »
Received my Maliko paddle a few weeks back and have been thoroughly enjoying it. Trimmed it about an 1-1/2 taller then my QB Elite paddle and so far that has worked well. What I have most enjoyed about this paddle besides its aesthetic beauty and improvement to my pace, is the seemingly much improved recovery. My shoulders don't hurt during a paddle, and instead of feeling wiped out that evening or the next day, I feel fresh and ready to go again. Kudos to an amazing product.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 08, 2012, 05:51:59 AM »
My KeNalu Maliko Elite blade/Xtuf shaft is on its way from Norway to the Netherlands!
The Norwegian importer was very helpful.
Now I just hope Dutch customs won't delay delivery and charge me to much.
And I hope I made the right choice of blade and shaft, I just can't afford ordering another paddle...

It took exactly a week for my paddle to travel from Norway to Amsterdam and for the last 3 days:
   Package is in customs clearance

Bummer. I feel for you. We have 300 paddle bags that have been sitting in LA for the last week, they got randomly selected for closer inspection. Third time that's happened to us. I generally means a week or more delay and the packages show up taped back together with a couple miles of customs tape. If it's increased security, then I'm fine with waiting. Still it's a bit of a drag.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 08, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »
I'm building out a table of paddle lengths. What I'd like to know is:

Kind of paddling you do with your Ke Nalu: ______
Thickness of your board: _______
Your extended arm height--from the floor to the wrinkle of your wrist: _____
Length of your previous paddle for this kind of paddling: __________
Brand________________ and Model __________ of your previous paddle
Length and type of Ke Nalu: ______________

If you use a different length Ke Nalu for another kind of paddling then I'd love to have the same data.

Just cut and paste the above table into your response and fill in the numbers. You can post them here, or if you're shy just PM them to me.

I'll put all the responses into a hat and draw for a Ke Nalu paddlebag and the first Adjustable paddle kit (adjustment collar and extended handle) that lands in the US--it's a retrofit for any Ke Nalu paddle. I'm going to use the data to refine the recommendations we give people for cutting or adjusting their paddle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 08, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »
Got the new xTuf-S shafts today. So far so good--they seem a little stiffer than I expected. The load cell on my press decided to go haywire, so I'm going to use weights to measure the flex. It's a better way anyway.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 08, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »
Gimme, Gimme, I need, I need.....whats the verdict on the xtuf-s??  when will it be available to Jim K for me to order?
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 08, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
Now?  They come in at 85 for stiffness.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal