Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553507 times)

NHSUPSurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #735 on: June 02, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Just want to give a shout out to the guys at Surfari in Manchester, MA.  They have a 'real-deal' SUP shop folks, so if you are in the need for anything SUP... check 'em out!

Anyway, wanted to check the diff between the Wiki & Maliko, and they had both to demo.  Was cold,
rainy, and a bit blustery in the small harbor, but still better than working  :)

Tried the Wiki first.... couldn't believe that it had more catch than my Werner Carve!  Very smooth, and LOVED the sharkskin-type shaft (100 flex).  Wanted to see if the Maliko was better, so paddled back to the shaft (they are RIGHT on the water).

Maliko had a big catch, and I was leaning towards it, but by 2/3 of the way around the harbor, I felt a ping in my shoulder.  Thought that either I hurt the shoulder, or the Maliko was a bit to big for my surf exploits.  Figured that if I tried the Wiki again & the shoulder still hurt, I wouldn't know which to get.

3rd trip around the harbor w/ the Wiki... smooth, slightly smaller (but still plenty adequate) catch for me, and.... NO shoulder pain!

Just goes to show that you really should demo SUP equipment!

Went back to the shop, and put in my order for a Wiki!  xTuf shaft (based on comments here, think this is best for me), and xTuf blade (I tend to batter my blade  :(, and it IS cheaper!)

Can't wait for delivery!
Thanks again, Surfari!

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #736 on: June 03, 2012, 09:37:39 PM »
Hey Bill - just did a 7 mile test run with a buddy to compare a Maliko Ke Nalu and another name brand paddle.  We were surprised to feel the difference.  The Ke Nalu grabs right from the start.  The other paddle just didn't have that solid feel.  We also did a speed test.  My friend is much faster than I am.  We were neck and neck for a short race.  Switching paddles, I couldn't come close.  Great design - highly recommend your paddle.

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #737 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:31 AM »
Bing LEEsSUP is now a Kenalu dealer in the Puget sound region
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #738 on: June 04, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »
Just want to give a shout out to the guys at Surfari in Manchester, MA.  They have a 'real-deal' SUP shop folks, so if you are in the need for anything SUP... check 'em out!
Nice shop and great folks. Glad you hooked up.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

sharkdipsea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 04, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
For those of you who were using the Quickblade Kanaha (smallest blade) for surfing- have you cut your KeNalu to the exact same length or have you found the sweet spot to be a bit longer or a bit shorter.  I have my new Wiki blade and xtuf shaft ready to cut but thought I would post the question here.  Bill has already advised to start an inch or so longer and offered the feedback that others have found they prefer their KeNalus a bit shorter then their previous paddles.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »
I'm really interesting in knowing what length people have found best for the Ke Nalu paddle vs. other paddles in their quiver. I'd like to know that for both race, cruising and surfing paddles. I'll put the information into a table and see if anything useful as a guideline comes out of it. I know a lot of you have done quite a bit of experimenting.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #741 on: June 06, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
With the Maliko, I'm going with 84", or 2" shorter than my Quickblade medium Kanaha design, which was kind of surprising to me because I almost thought the QB was not long enough.

The boards I'm using are medium to thick (Jimmy Lewis Blade II, Sabre, Mission, M-14)

I haven't fine tuned the Molokai or Wiki's length too much yet because I pretty much settled on the Maliko as my favorite size blade.

6'2" tall, 200 lbs (and shrinking).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:21:23 PM by Rogue Wave »
Jimmy Lewis Canada

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #742 on: June 06, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
I just got my Ke Nalu paddle last week. I cut it four inches longer than my old paddle thinking I would start from there and shorten it after testing it. The catch was okay, but the recovery felt like I had to lift too high.  I took an inch off and it seems perfect.  The Ke Nalu is so quiet entering the water compared to my old paddle. I also shaved off almost 2 minutes from my regular 4.5 mile training run.. Just want to add my old paddle was carbon fiber shaft and fiberglass blade and was cut to a length were the palm rest over the handle. Now my fingers rest over the handle of my Ke Nalu paddle.  So I would say 3 inches longer than my old race paddle.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
My Maliko is 2" shorter than my QB and it's working great.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #744 on: June 06, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
Both Wiki elit and Maliko elit 2" longer than my QB Kanaha full carbon. Maybe, just maybe I'll cut one inch off my Maliko.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #745 on: June 06, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »
Started my Maliko 2" longer than my Shakapu. I chopped of an inch then another so now they are the same length. I change out the Ergo T with the Kialoa handle, but you need to epoxy it on. Not enough surface area for the hot glue gun to work.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 06, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »
I think we should put height, reach at palm (comfortably extended, measured from middle of palm, and board type (recessed deck, standard deck, etc.)... along with paddle length

What do you think the data points should be Bill?
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #747 on: June 06, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
I went 2" longer than my old paddle. I based this on early comments made in this thread.

It worked for me and the wife.

The blade just makes you want to stroke like a pro and that required more length than my old ditch digger stroke.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 06, 2012, 06:41:21 PM »
I guess I need to do something more formal, as Tim said, but what I suspected is what I'm seeing so far, and it's a very strange thing. For the most part people cut their Ke Nalu differently from other paddles. They cut them longer and shorter, but with rare exception they don't like them the same length as what they previously used.

It shouldn't be so odd to me since I did the same thing myself. I use my Ke Nalus longer and shorter than normal, but I don't like the way they feel at my previously standard length of 84". I've played with these paddle length far more than any other paddle I had, including adjustables. What I've determined for myself is that even for distance paddling on a race board, there's a short sweet spot and a long sweet spot for Ke Nalu paddles.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #749 on: June 06, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »
I love my Wiki with the 100 flex paddle and am using the extended ergo T grip. Total length end to end is 87"
I'm 6'2" 185lbs.
The Wiki blade is easy on my shoulders but gives me plenty of power.
Aloha,
Tom English

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal