Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551956 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #720 on: May 28, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »
We're working on something to make it easier to fix a Ke Nalu if you do non-warranty damage. I'll keep you posted.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPerLEO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #721 on: May 28, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »

Here's the damage gonna post the repair when done and see how much heavier it comes

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
8'4 Johnston
8'0 starboard tiki
8'10 hypr kinimaka

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »
That's warranty damage. Repair it if you like to keep as a spare, but pm me your address and the blade size and I'll get a replacement off to you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
That's warranty damage. Repair it if you like to keep as a spare, but pm me your address and the blade size and I'll get a replacement off to you.
Awesome Bill!

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #724 on: May 29, 2012, 02:21:29 PM »

Thumbs up!!!!

Henrik F
crosswater.se

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #725 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
I tried the Molokai Elite blade with an x-tuf shaft today. Not a good combination for me, at least in today's conditions.  I rely a lot on my paddle for balance. Today was thigh to waist, bumpy and sloppy, real short period wind swell. The delayed response of the shaft was throwing me off.

The first paddle out through the whitewater was tough, very different from what I'm used to. I caught 2 waves and decided to switch...this was a day to have fun not experiment. I did feel the spring/snap at the end of a stroke and liked that but the softness of the catch is going to take getting used to it. I'll try it again when conditions are cleaner and I'm not balance checking so often.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
There's really no reason for you to like that, you have good shoulders and bad balance. Stick with the 100 Flex. You need that instant response for balance checks. That's the reason I still prefer the 100F for most things. For downwinding--magic. most other stuff, I'm good with stiff.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 31, 2012, 05:44:40 AM »
Just reading this thread helps me understand paddles better

KEEP IT GOING GUYS!

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 31, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
As Tim said before, the xTuf "stacking" changes your timing. It flexes a bit and then stops, so there's a momentary delay. Once you're used to it you might like it, but you DO have to get used to it. Even on a downwinder.

The primary difference is feel is smoothness. As someone else previously said, it's like butter. That's the initial flex. It's doesn't continue to flex much once the shaft stacks, but it does store energy. If you pull hard with an xTuf you get a real rush at the end of the stroke.

Yesterday I did an upwind/downwind conditioning run on my Bark, paddled against a 15-20 mph headwind and against the swells and chop up to a place I call split rock. Probably 4 miles. I decided to use an xTuf because I thought it would feel better on my shoulders. For the first mile I thought "this was a mistake". All the balance checks and hard pulls I was doing felt weak. After a mile I pretty much forgot about the paddle and it was fine. The downwind leg was pretty good, the Bark actually behaved itself. It doesn't mind little swells, but it's not very fun in the big stuff.

I got to the end and my shoulders felt warm and good.

Then I went into my shop and lost my balance on a step stool and had to catch myself one-handed on a tool chest. POW. instant shoulder pain. There's things a good paddle won't fix.

soepkip

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:13 AM »
My KeNalu Maliko Elite blade/Xtuf shaft is on its way from Norway to the Netherlands!
The Norwegian importer was very helpful.

Now I just hope Dutch customs won't delay delivery and charge me to much.

And I hope I made the right choice of blade and shaft, I just can't afford ordering another paddle...

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 01, 2012, 02:02:14 AM »
Tim how long is your paddle?

85.5 inches for surf.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SoundGirl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 01, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
Bill, thanks for all the great info! I have been stalking Ke Nalu paddles for months now. Made the decision to get a one over the winter but finally pulled the trigger tonight. Can't wait! Hope to have it out on LI Sound and the Hudson River by the end of the month. : )

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 01, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »
Ralphie Bill (a Ke Nalu So Cal distributor) must be trolling the Zone.  Random text yesterday... "You want another X tuff?"  I text back, "Yes please." 

Today, I am involved in a really long and intense media relations conference call... Ralphie slips into the office like a ninja... I see him through my wall o' glass... he sees that I am into things hot and heavy... leaves the shaft and slips out unharmed... invoice left on the reception desk...

He might have even helped himself to some ice water in the break room as he is getting pretty familiar with my office now.  The office is pretty discreet, unmarked, a buzzer, an intercom, you know the deal... but when the staff sees Ralphie with "another one of those sticks" they let him right in...

Dude has game!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:31 AM »
Dude has game

Tim
"God Damn the pusher man" Steppenwolf

At least it is name brand crack
Obfuscation through elucidation

supchino

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 02, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
Just picked up a Maliko and can't wait to use it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal