Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551949 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #675 on: May 18, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »
Yup. Not sure of the timing though. We're probably still a couple of months out even though it's a pretty simple thing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #676 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
If Southwest gives you 2 bags use 1 for the SUP and one for the paddle.  Just wear all your clothes. I can put on 5 bikinis, 2 shorts, 3 tops and a jacket and still be smaller than the big guy next to me.  shoes can get a little weird but just go with 1 pair of tevas.

Enjoy the ride! Jill

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 18, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »
Actually, a Ke Nalu paddle bag has enough room for lots of clothes, and all those boardies and T shirts are extra padding. No need for socks or skivvies--go commando.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 19, 2012, 06:38:12 AM »
Actually, a Ke Nalu paddle bag has enough room for lots of clothes, and all those boardies and T shirts are extra padding. No need for socks or skivvies--go commando.

Yep... Just returned from a sup/surf trip to Mex and the Ke Nalu paddle-bag held two paddles (and all kinds of other crap) with no problem. It also has a pretty good size pouch for holding nick-knacks, too... Funny, the looks you get from the airline agents when you approach the counter with what looks to be a 'musket rifle'  ;D...        Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 19, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
Hooked up with Rogue Wave today and got to try a Maliko 100...
Thanks Bill. Now I need one.  8) it has to be the quietest paddle I've ever used. No noise at the catch. No noise period. Pulls great.
I'm going to wait (or try...) until I can get a 80 flex XTuff shaft with a Molokai elite blade...
Though I hear that Maliko 100 calling.... ;D

Thanks Rogue Wave... You too P.B.

David
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #680 on: May 20, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
I love the paddle so much I just ordered 6 for the Aloha shop in Leucadia.  Nice work Bill.
Aloha,
Tom English

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: May 20, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
Pono,  today I got out of the water after about a 3.5 hour session.  Noticed my paddle had some water in the shaft.  The blade and handle joints have a wrap of electrical tape around them.  While I know this is not a watertight seal, just wanted to make sure it is a normal thing that can occasionally happen?  Seems to have either evaporated or left after letting it stand for a few hours with the blade up.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #682 on: May 20, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
Kaya...not a big deal. Just means you need a little more glue in the joints. You might have gotten one that was a little lean on the glue. When you install the blade and handle you need to make sure you give it a twist too. I adjust my paddles often, mostly for demos, but also for my own use. Today I shortened my Molokai for surf. I used it yesterday for a race. When I pushed it in I notice it felt like it needed some glue. Pulled it out and fired up the hot glue gun.

I've had a couple times when water has gotten in. Just pull it all apart, rinse with fresh water and dry thouroghly. Add some glue and reassemble.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 20, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
I just lost a really long post on my X Tuff small SUP surf impressions.  Fark!  Here is the short version.

I like it.  The slight lag allows your core and thighs to micro-adjust before you are fully engaged.  On a low volume SUP (87 ish liters) this is a really really good thing and keeps you upright.

Totally dig the texture on the handle.  Didn't even use wax on the handle.  if you know me at all, this is a very big deal.  Super positive engagement.  Not sticky.

Chest and arms a bit sore, shoulder not at all.  I think because when the power is being applied is a split second later, and at that point in my stroke my top hand is pushing against my lower hand.  Slightly different muscle groups involved due to the small lag (reading too much into the small lag?)

Love it. It is my new surf paddle.  Done.

Questions, ridicule, clarifications... you know where to find me.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »
Tim how long is your paddle?

Today I used my new 83" XTuff Maliko for the 1st time. My body loved it, but it was a challenging transition with so much flex compared to my Kialoa Methane. I felt like I was learning to walk. I have to say my back and troubled shoulder enjoyed the 2.5 hours of surfing. I guess I can order a stiffer shaft, but time will tell.

Aerobically I wonder if the shaft is efficient?

The Maliko blade is bar none the best I have used!! I own 4 paddles (QB & Kialoa). Setting up and customizing your paddle is actually fun and nice to double check your own work; You have options if you make a mistake. I will eventually trim my paddle to 82ish but me and my hot glue have time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 20, 2012, 10:49:24 PM »
I made the mistake of telling the factory not to put so much glue on the ferrules. They were putting so much on that it was making a mess, and people were getting the ferrules too hot when they melted the glue--you CAN damage the ferrule if you grossly overheat it, the PVC will bulge, and in extreme cases can crack the ferrule. One reason why we like folks using hairdryers, it's just less likely. And with less glue it melts faster.

Anyway, long story short, the factory got a little carried away, and the glue is a bit on the sparse side now. Most are fine, but every so often we see one that's too thin. You should give the blade a twist as you push it in, then pull it back out to be sure you have full coverage, then push it home with a slight twist. If you have full coverage and a little bead of excess glue, you're set. If not you probably want to add a little more to make sure the joint is waterproof. It will be adequatly strong even if you don't have full coverage. we got over 200# torgue with the ferrule half covered, but it can leak water.

Sorry to burden folks with this, it's fairly rare, and we're looking for it and adding glue when we see a potential problem, but a few might have slipped by. The best glue to add is the amber-colored "high strength" glue for hot glue guns. Any hardware store will have it. I just stick it in the airstream of the dryer and let it melt some, then dab it onto the ferrule. Pretty easy.

If you can't find that then any hot glue will work, you're really just looking to complete the seal.

Big Ed -- I know what you mean, the xTuf shaft takes some getting used to. You might like a 100 Flex better, but give it a few days. It took me that long to really see the benefit. I think the saving grace is that it stops flexing pretty quick. I never liked our 60 Flex because it just kept bending. The xTuf bends and then stiffens.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 10:54:37 PM by PonoBill »

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:22 AM »
Any idea yet as to comparison of strength between xtuf and the 100 flex?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jnx2ha
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2012, 05:58:41 AM »
I've taken them both to 200# without breaking them. I still haven't taken shafts to failure, I've been focused on other stuff and haven't made a guard for my press. The thought of flying carbon shards makes me a bit nervous.

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2012, 06:46:32 AM »
I just lost a really long post on my X Tuff small SUP surf impressions.  Fark!  Here is the short version.

I like it.  The slight lag allows your core and thighs to micro-adjust before you are fully engaged.  On a low volume SUP (87 ish liters) this is a really really good thing and keeps you upright.

Totally dig the texture on the handle.  Didn't even use wax on the handle.  if you know me at all, this is a very big deal.  Super positive engagement.  Not sticky.

Chest and arms a bit sore, shoulder not at all.  I think because when the power is being applied is a split second later, and at that point in my stroke my top hand is pushing against my lower hand.  Slightly different muscle groups involved due to the small lag (reading too much into the small lag?)

Love it. It is my new surf paddle.  Done.

Questions, ridicule, clarifications... you know where to find me.

Tim

Where you using the Xtuf with the Wiki blade?
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:40 AM »
Fish,

Sorry for not clarifying, it was in my long post that I lost.

I am a Molokai guy.

I have a Maliko for distance, but for surfing I like the big bite of the Molokai.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal