Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551934 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #615 on: May 02, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
Just e-mailed my dealer (no, not that dealer... he and I communicate through a runner and through messages left in hollow pumpkins [h/t Whitaker Chambers] ... my Ke Nalu dealer)... can't wait to get an X-Tuff to try with the Wiki, the Moliko and the Molokai blades.  It will be interesting to feel the dynamic with a low volume surfing board... might be a different perspective than the distance and DW perspective.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #616 on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
Just e-mailed my dealer (no, not that dealer... he and I communicate through a runner and through messages left in hollow pumpkins [h/t Whitaker Chambers] ... my Ke Nalu dealer)... can't wait to get an X-Tuff to try with the Wiki, the Moliko and the Molokai blades.  It will be interesting to feel the dynamic with a low volume surfing board... might be a different perspective than the distance and DW perspective.

Tim

I think it (xTuf) has a greater impact with a low volume surfing SUP, than my downwind raceboard. Almost every surf session I slingshot into at least one wave I thought for sure I had missed. How did I ever surf without it.  ;D

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #617 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »

Now I can't decide whether to put the xTuf on on the Wiki or the Maliko. 

Gotta love hot glue. You can try both  ;D

I've tried both. It's Maliko and xTuf for me.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #618 on: May 02, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »
Anyone have any feedback on a setup using the xTuf shaft for general cruising/distance paddles?  Not necessarily racing.. but wouldn't mind hearing if anyone has tried the xTuf in a race setting either.

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
Bill,

PM sent.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #620 on: May 02, 2012, 12:35:53 PM »
OK...I need to get my xtuf and Molokai together.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #621 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:11 PM »
Bob, what setup did you use in the Charles last weekend?  And what setup do you generally surf with? 

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 02, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »
Ke Nalu is on my next    "item to buy list".
I thought I had decided on which paddle....
(Maliko elite blade, 100 carbon shaft, ergo T handle, with extended ergo handle for cruising)   

Now, after reading all the great feedback on the XTuf, I'm looking for "Zoner" opinions. 
Already have a couple of decent carbon paddles, but not a KeNalu.
- Kialoa Methane
- C4 Pohaku 9" Carbon Paddle

Primary use would be for surfing, but will use the extending ergo T for coastal cruising.
Had shoulder surgery a year ago.   5'8"  @ 165lbs

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #623 on: May 02, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »
My review:

Definition of Amazing: Xtuf Wiki

So as you can tell, I love it!!  Completely happy with it.

So my first impression of it was that it was extremely light.  Total length of mine is just a tad under 76".  I'm around 5'8" and 160 - 168 pounds.  So about 8" over head.

First impression in the water was that it felt a bit a toyish.  I don't say that in a bad way, but it felt light and paddled smooth.

The ribs on the shaft were a very different feel but I liked it.  Your hand does not slip.  If you move your hand up it will not slide.  Moving it down does slide.  It took a little bit for me to get used to the feel but I really like it.  The ergo-T (handle) is cumfy for my size of hands.  Weird but it's comfortable where my fingertips rest.

Flex:  After previous Zoners stated how flexy they were, I think I was over prepared.  I didn't feel a crazy flex but definitely did feel it.  I'm glad it wasn't over flexy, it was just right.  I wouldn't change the flex one bit if I had a magic wand to do so. 

Blade:  very refined and does move through the water like cutting butter.  I'm in love with the size of the Wiki blade.  PLENTY of power for a smaller blade.  I rode the first day on my 7'10 board and the second day on my 8'5".  Was AWESOME with the board and the higher cadence made catching waves a breeze.

Now for the best of all.  I bought this combo of a paddle in hopes to ease my back pain and right shoulder pain from previous moto x injuries.  I'm coming off a Kialoa Methane which I loved but lately every time I've been out, my back would feel like it was going to rip open it was so tight.  I took my 7'10 board out in some chop at SanO and did 2 back to back 2 hour sessions.  1st session, 2 hours, rest for 20 minutes to down a sandwich and yogurt, then off again for another 2 hours.  My back NEVER even felt tight or tense.  My shoulder felt great.  I could not believe it.  Woke up in the morning and felt amazing, no soreness or tension at all.  Went out the next day at my "secret" spot in my 8'5" and surfed for about 2 hours.  Zero problems with back and shoulder. 

Conclusion:  I love you PonoBill!!!  You did an amazing job with those paddles.  Now I need to get one for racing.

Oh and cutting the shaft was a piece of cake.  Used a heat gun to heat glue and it was good to go.  I love the hot glue idea.

firesurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:48 PM »
Boludo.   Thanks for your review of the KeNalu Wiki Xtuf.    Is the blade an Xtuf  or an carbon elite?

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #625 on: May 02, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
Boludo,  would you stick with the xTuf shaft for racing or go with something stiffer?

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #626 on: May 02, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »
Boludo.   Thanks for your review of the KeNalu Wiki Xtuf.    Is the blade an Xtuf  or an carbon elite?

Carbon blade.

Boludo,  would you stick with the xTuf shaft for racing or go with something stiffer?

Not sure yet.  I really am thinking the xTuf but not sure yet.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #627 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:19 PM »
I'd also like to add that if you are the type of paddler that has to slide your lower hand up to the handle on switching sides, you can't really do it on the xTuf.  Your hand sticks almost like glue when trying to slide it up.  not too bad when hands are dry but when wet, it seems to stick even more.  I like it and learned to adapt to it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »
You can tune the grip up or eliminate it entirely with a little super fine sandpaper.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #629 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
Kayadogg...that was Molokai Elite, 100% shaft, extended ergo-T. I learned a lot about that paddle Sunday. I was digging hard into the wind doing the baxter stroke and really gripping the shaft hard and the blade started to wobble. I calmed down my grip, took shorter, faster strokes and not only did the paddle stop wobbling I noticeably smoothed out the board and picked up speed. Momentum is everything when the wind is slapping you in the face.

I wish I could stay down in that stroke position longer in those conditions. My back is too old for that crouch for long though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal