Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553137 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #540 on: April 16, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »
I'd recommend the xTuf over the 60Flex. The xTuf has a flex that archers call a "stack". It gets stiffer as it flexes. which means the initial bit of flex is soft but then it starts taking more force to deflect the shaft. I attribute this to the bias-wound fibers in the unidirectional carbon shaft, but whatever, it's a good feeling.

The 60Flex shaft stacks too, but it's more linear.

Right now the closest dealer to Dana Point is Ralph Bill at SupPosition. I need to get off my butt and add some more dealers in that area, but we've been slowed down a bit by a medical emergency in my wife's family. Ralph is in Huntington Beach. http://sup-position.com/
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:55:04 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
Ralph will take care of you... he personally delivered a paddle to my office... talk about service!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:14 PM »
I lent a paddle to someone who must remain nameless (NOT Dave Kalama). Got it back from him tonight. All he'd say was "holy shit, Bill". Good enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PaddleCrazy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »
Right now the closest dealer to Dana Point is Ralph Bill at SupPosition. I need to get off my butt and add some more dealers in that area, but we've been slowed down a bit by a medical emergency in my wife's family. Ralph is in Huntington Beach. http://sup-position.com/
Yep, Ralph is top-notch.....

Demoed the Ke Nalu with him, and while I was at it, he was gracious enough to bring out a couple boards for me to demo also. 

Spent a couple hours with me, as we paddled the harbor, and then we drove over to the surf to put one of the boards through a better run through.  Great guy....highly recommend him. 

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #544 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:55 AM »
I lent a paddle to someone who must remain nameless (NOT Dave Kalama). Got it back from him tonight. All he'd say was "holy shit, Bill". Good enough.
Haha! But can the KeNalu be used as a jack to fix a flat tire?

NHSUPSurf

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: April 18, 2012, 04:18:40 AM »
Hey Bill,
Here's my request for 'what paddle should I get?'  :D

53 yrs old, 5'8" 175 lbs.  OK shape, lower intermediate paddler.  Tendency towards a lower cadence.  Low back pain every day, 2 shoulder surgeries.  Although SUP'g makes both back & shoulder better, they are still there.

Currently have a carbon shaft / fibreglass blade paddle that is ok, but nothing spectacular.  Get elbow pain after a good session.

Winter will be 90% surf, Summer will be 50% surf, 50% poking around the ocean & lake (no racing, or long distance touring).

Your biggest blade is definitely out, but not sure between the Wiki & Maliko.  Just read a lengthly thread about the origination of the Kialoa Methane (you had a couple comments in that thread), and how a lot of the better surfers out there are now opting for smaller blades.

The other option is the shaft.  Sounds like the 60 or 90, but recent comments about the XTuf shaft have me interested in that option.

Definitely want the extended ergo T, as I use that functionality quite a bit in the ocean with my current adjustable paddle. 

Looking for something that will be kind to my body  :D, but will allow me great acceleration when going for a wave.

Thanks!

Dan

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 18, 2012, 05:29:47 AM »
I'd say the Maliko (8.5) blade, since you like a lower cadence and you're looking for acceleration into the waves. The shaft is a little trickier. You might like the xTuf shaft, it's certainly easy on your body, but it's heavier. I'd suggest the 90Flex. Gives you a little more flex without a weight penalty (five grams heavier). You already have the handle figured out so I think we're good.

you should PM Bob (stoneaxe) to find a local dealer. He's repping Ke Nalu in the Northeast and he's doing frequent demo days.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #547 on: April 18, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
Low back pain every day, 2 shoulder surgeries. 

Dan

I'm going to disagree with Bill on the shaft. I injured myself with the 90% carbon shaft. I'm using the xTuf now, and think it's easier on my shoulder and performs better with the recoil booster kick it puts out. I didn't notice any difference in weight when removing my 90% shaft and replacing it with the xTuf. Bill is splitting hairs on the weight difference.  ;D

I switched my wife over to the xTuf too.

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 18, 2012, 06:08:49 AM »
Speaking of weights, I'm hoping to see the component weights on the web site.  I have an elite Wiki, and want a Maliko but can't decide on the full xtuf or downwinder (with only xtuf shaft.)  With the weights, I could decide.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
I have to confess I really like the xTuf shaft for just about everything except racing. I go back and forth on the 100Flex for surfing because I like the immediate pull of the 100Flex, though at the same time I'm fond of that little boost you get with the xTuf.

Like I said, the shaft is a tougher question.

and yeah, I'm a stickler about the weight thing, and it's kind of silly since a FULL xTuf (shaft and blade) is still lighter than most race paddles, but I'm spoiled and I feel the difference

I like the weight idea, I'll get on that.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:44:49 AM by PonoBill »

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: April 18, 2012, 09:31:21 AM »
First of all, I have to state that I love The Entire Babcock Clan.

I have been suping and supsurfing since 2007, and I average between 175 and 200 days per year in the ocean. I have owned C4 paddles, Kialoa paddles ( most recently the Methane), Malama Paddles ( beautiful), and Werner paddles. Recently, I have loved my Werner Nitro for both distance and surf ( two different lengths ). I thought I had found the perfect paddle for me. Well, that was until Bob ( Stoneaxe ) gave me a KeNalu Wiki as a Christmas gift. Imho, this paddle is AMAZING. I am 6' and 165lbs, and I try to be a high cadence paddler, and the Wiki is incredible. It is unbelieveably light and and has awesome bite when you first pull on it in the water. I traded off with my son the other day, and used his Methane and gave him my Wiki- he didn't want to trade back, and the the Methane felt like sledge hammer after the Wiki. Great job Bill, your KeNalu Paddles are tremendous.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: April 18, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
I have low back pain from motocross injuries. Had an awesome surf session but boy is my lower back tight. I have the kialoa methane. I like smaller blades and higher cadence for my smaller sup. bill, what's gonna work for me considering my lower back issues.

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
 The UPS man just delivered a long box from Hood river! ;D! Time to run home and get my sons hot-glue gun. Can't wait to get one set up, but so busy at work, that this afternoon may, or may not happen. Will post up later. Thank you Bill!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 18, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
The UPS man just delivered a long box from Hood river! ;D! Time to run home and get my sons hot-glue gun. Can't wait to get one set up, but so busy at work, that this afternoon may, or may not happen. Will post up later. Thank you Bill!

There is already glue applied to both the blade and handle. All you need is a hair dryer or a heat gun. A cheap hair dryer is best. Your wife's good one won't get hot enough

Bolide, you can certainly try the wiki. It's all about cadence. The wiki is well name. It's incredibly quick because there's no swing weight. I don't think flexy shafts do muck for back pain. Go with a 100 and take advantage of its light weight and quickness.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #554 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
That Bill is in the air back to America as we speak and he will probably weigh in when he gets there but I would think that the Maliko would be your best bet.  Molokai sounds too big for you and Wiki is pretty small.  But another factor besides blade size is shaft flex and with that there are at least three options.

You know in the technique threads there is always mention of forward bend and as it seems obvious that forward bend may be hard on a lower back, maybe increased shaft length might help your injury maintenance.  I don't like bending over either and use a longer shaft for my height.  It may not be conducive to the best technique or even be easy to handle in surfing situations but better for the back.  

We all have physical issues that sometimes have us stray from ideals and deal with them in the best manner possible.  As that big redneck says on cable, "get'er done"  Good luck.

Have you tried DMSO?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal