Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551872 times)

endlessfight

Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #495 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:40 AM »
Lee,
Home base for me is Meaford so i'll give a shout the next time im over to the g-bay area!

J

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 02, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
Heading your way real soon too, Lee.
A Molokai is next on my list...
(thanks ahead Bill)

David S.
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #497 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
I replaced my Elite 90 carbon shaft with the xTuf.  Wow, this should be the standard shaft  ;D

I surf a 7'8 board. That means I often need to pull really HARD, for one extra stroke to make the drop. When others on longer boards, would already be dropping in. Because the KeNalu blades don't slip, they bite, and they don't jump sideways, there is almost no limit to how hard you can pull and launch your board forward.

That can be hard on the body with a 90 carbon shaft, even though at 90% carbon, its fairly flexible.

Switching up to the xTuf allowed me to pull very hard and feel nothing but a cushy softness come back through my body. Then I felt the slingshot turbo boost the shaft recoil gave. I could swear that recoil was getting me into more waves this morning.

For surfing, I'm going to recommend to anyone who asks me, go xTuf. It's like having a little booster launch into the wave.

I'm tempted to order my wife the xTuf. She's using the Elite 60. I hope you can get the shipping on a shaft down to about $15. Then I'll get her one.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:29:09 AM by DW »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 05, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
Yup, that's why I like it for downwind.

I keep getting distracted with other important business stuff (okay, I was surfing) but I'll get the component shipping cost fixed ASAP. You could also work with your local dealer to get it into their order, but that might take a while.

I agree with you about the benefits of the xTuf shaft. Perfect for making those hard pulls and shooting into a wave without ripping up your joints. I still like the 100Felx better for surfing, but Boyum (headmount) likes his Molokai Downwind for surfing. So I guess I'll set up "downwind" options for Wikis and Malikos as well, though I'm convinced that it's most beneficial for the Molokai. Also nice that it yields a little less expensive paddle.

I think there's more than just flex degree at work here. The Unidirectional carbon fiber stores energy differently, there's a torque component to it. The 3K twill carbon has fibers running vertically and horizontally, so the flex is resisted by the vertical fibers. The Unidirectional CF is wound on a diagonal bias in opposite layers, so the flex is resisted by stretching the fibers at an angle. There's a torque component to that energy that certainly releases as the shaft springs back. I think that torque energy gets stored without as much bending of the shaft

At least that's my theory. It certainly feels different than a 3K shaft. It has less flex than the 60Flex but the 60Flex doesn't have a similar feel. The 60Flex gives a nice gentle flex that's sweet on your joints but feels soft. The xTuf is a catapult.

Whatever... it works. As I said, some of the best discoveries are accidental.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 05, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »
Hmmmm.  Interesting.  Looks like I will be going over to the Ke Nalu site... "catapulting" into waves... That sounds like a good thing. :)
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #500 on: April 05, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
With the xTuf, I went for a shorter length ... from 85 to 81 and like it. 

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #501 on: April 05, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
I like the sounds of that  xtuf; what are the advantages of getting an xtuf shaft with an elite wikki blade vs. just getting the standard xtuf Wikki?  Even the standard xtuf wikki is lighter than the Kialoa shaka puu I currently use...

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: April 05, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
Bill,
Does anyone in So. Cal have paddles you can demo for the day?  I would like to try out that Xtuf in the maliko and wiki (really wish there was something inbetween).  Maybe also compare the xtuf to the 60 shaft.

Cheers, Jill

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 05, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »
I have a Maliko cut to 79.5" that you can check out.  I'm in Dana but can alway meet up with you in Newport sometime.  I think you have my e-mail - I got that Kialoa off you for my daughter last year.

West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 06, 2012, 12:24:09 AM »
OK, so the xTuf shaft is now an option for any Elite paddle, and it deducts $40 from the price of the paddle. That 3K twill is expensive. Alternatively I've set up Wiki and Maliko Downwinds which have the xTuf shaft and Elite blade. It's the same thing, just might be a little easier for some folks. Kind of ugly without a picture, but I'm beat, I'll do that later. I did a Maliko run with Jeremy Riggs--Jeremy is now teaching folks how to do downwinders, and since my mojo has been going sideways lately (or maybe everyone else is just getting better faster than me) I went for a lesson. And of course I found out I've been doing it all wrong.

More about this later, I'm hitting the sack.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »
Bill - you said you still like the 100flex for surfing compared to the xtuf....just curious as to why?  I'm about to call Jim K to pull the trigger on a Maliko, 100flex w/ Ergo T.....should I consider the xtuf shaft as a possibility instead.  I will be mostly surfing and flat water runs.... I'm a strong paddler who just broke his Kialoa shaft....will the xtuf be a much stronger option than the 100flex?  Can you (or anyone else) give a brief comparison between the 2 shafts to help my decision?  Thanks!!
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

mrod

« Reply #506 on: April 06, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »
One of the main reasons we're working on adding dealers is that the best way to choose a blade size is to demo a Ke Nalu. It's a very different paddle.

Agreed.  Even after reading 30+ pages of this thread, and all of your videos and articles on Ke Nalu, I still cannot make up my mind, the only reason I have yet to buy one.

If it helps I just received my molokai , 100 flex long shaft with an ergo T grip. I gotta say the statements from the other zoners are spot on. Clean solid catch, light as hell, the only issue was the motor gave out.  I had it out in varying conditions the last week, flat water ICW, onshore wind and confused chop (following the coast line), through inlets on an inbound and outbound tide. I was not disappointed in the least.
I had corresponded with Bill about the blade size and previous shoulder injuries, no problems so far ( I didn't listen to him) no pain or numbness.  In fact,  the lighter grip allowed me to relax a bit, analyze my stroke further and refine the points where I had developed bad habits. Thanks Bill!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 06, 2012, 08:16:50 AM »
Bill - you said you still like the 100flex for surfing compared to the xtuf....just curious as to why?  I'm about to call Jim K to pull the trigger on a Maliko, 100flex w/ Ergo T.....should I consider the xtuf shaft as a possibility instead.  I will be mostly surfing and flat water runs.... I'm a strong paddler who just broke his Kialoa shaft....will the xtuf be a much stronger option than the 100flex?  Can you (or anyone else) give a brief comparison between the 2 shafts to help my decision?  Thanks!!

I don't like the little bit of hesitation from the flex in the surf. Actually it's more like I'm addicted to the immediate response of the 100Flex. It's purely a feel thing. I also like the 100Flex more for flatware, though the xTuf felt really good paddling through the harbor yesterday after a Maliko run.

I haven't tested either of these shafts to failure yet so I don't know which is stronger, I've been in Maui since December and don't have a press and load cell here, but I've taken them both to 200 pounds.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 06, 2012, 12:34:14 PM »
Hi Bill,

What is the flex shaft did you use on the first delivery of paddles you had sent to Dana Point for the Battle of the Paddle?  It works great for me in all conditions but I'm interested in trying something different for comparison.   
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »
Those were all 100Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal