Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553188 times)

Coops

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #405 on: March 14, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
Hi Bill,
Have you considered offering the various paddle blades for sale a la cart?  For someone who already has a Ke Nalu or two, this could be an interesting way to have multiple paddles.  I suppose one could get by with just a single shaft and handle set up, while swapping out different blades.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
We're working on it, but it represents a substantial inventory challenge, and the dealers we've talked to about it are not enthusiastic, not so much because of the added inventory as the added complexity. Still, I think it's a real advantage for our paddles since we're currently the only company that could do it. You can buy some paddles as components, but they are not designed to be assembled with hot glue. They need the extra strength of permanent epoxy.

We'll be addressing the issue shortly and coming up with a solution. It might be that the best way to present it is as repair parts rather than something dealers would have to participate in. The way our eCommerce system works, dealers automatically get their discount on anything we sell, so they could choose how they wanted to use parts once we make them available.

I think it's great to have one shaft and several blades. Even better to have two shafts with different flexes and a couple of blades. I mix and match all the time. Diane  and Lane might shoot me for talking about this before we have figured out the details, but I swap my 100Flex shaft for an xTuf shaft sometimes, just to give my arms and shoulders a rest. The xTuf shaft not only has more flex (it's about 70Flex) but it also flexes differently, with even more of the flex between upper and lower hands. I don't like it as much as the 100Flex Elite shaft for everyday paddling or racing, but as a break when I've overdone it, it's  black advil.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #407 on: March 14, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »
I'm definitely going to want to carry components ala carte. Once you have the repair components setup I'll want to keep a mix available. I want folks to feel the difference in handles, shafts and blades and then I'll build them one on the spot. If they want an additional blade...great. I think it's a huge selling point. Having an extended handle is great, having an extended handle and a couple of blades for different uses.....awesome.

I paddled the xTuf for the 1st time Sunday. Just an easy short cruise with Supthecreek so he could check out the volume of my 9-8. Feels soft after paddling the 100 flex. Definitely going to be the go to paddle the day after a hard surf session or long hard training paddle when my shoulders need some relief. I remember using the flexy fiberglass paddle you had on Maui last time I was there. We paddled hard at least 5-6 hours every day all that week and my shoulders never hurt.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supthecreek

« Reply #408 on: March 14, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
I had a great time meeting Bob(Stoneaxe) the other day. He was kind enough to meet up with me and let me Demo some of his quiver ;D

The Ke Nalu I tried was the added bonus! I loved the paddle. I've tried other brands but was never very impressed. The handle and shaft of the Ke Nalu felt great, but I really liked the way the blade felt on entry... very light and stable as you begin your stroke. It seemed like I had more control than I have felt with other paddles.

If there is no surf, I paddle almost everyday, which means even when it's very windy. I always paddle UPwind on the outbound leg and it is sometimes hard to move your paddle forward during gusts. The Dihedral blade seems move easier into the wind.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 14, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
Okay, we're going to get 'er done.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

waveslider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »
money does not equal brains. i guess simple instructions are too tough for someone who spends $300 on a paddle to follow.  pono, perhaps you should respond?

from PaddleSurfWarehouses FB page

"REALLY!!! WHAT PADDLE COMPANY SHIPS A PADDLE TO A CUSTOMER LIKE THIS? -We had a customer come in to the Dana Point store today bringing us this which they bought online from KeNalu's website. There was no epoxy and no instructions. Talk about service... Paddle seemed sorta cheap -nothing special- also like they just bought a box load from china and calls it a high end paddle. This paddle board business brings new surprises everyday."

http://www.facebook.com/paddlesurfwarehouse

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #411 on: March 20, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
money does not equal brains. i guess simple instructions are too tough for someone who spends $300 on a paddle to follow.  pono, perhaps you should respond?

from PaddleSurfWarehouses FB page

"REALLY!!! WHAT PADDLE COMPANY SHIPS A PADDLE TO A CUSTOMER LIKE THIS? -We had a customer come in to the Dana Point store today bringing us this which they bought online from KeNalu's website. There was no epoxy and no instructions. Talk about service... Paddle seemed sorta cheap -nothing special- also like they just bought a box load from china and calls it a high end paddle. This paddle board business brings new surprises everyday."

http://www.facebook.com/paddlesurfwarehouse

This FB post, is it for real? Can't be, can it? I am having some language difficulties here.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »
Yea, this is absurd.  The KeNalu website has videos and every way of communicating possible.  I can see the hot glue in the pic... right where it's supposed to be.  On the NFL today they have a signet called Come on Man!.  This is one of those.

waveslider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
looks like they pulled it down already. good. i mean its one thing for a customer to be slightly special, but its another for a supposed high end paddle board shop to not recognize the difference between a good paddle and a cheap one

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
It said a lot more about Paddle Surf Warehouse than Ke Nalu.  They might as well have written, "We're Paddle Surf Warehouse!  We're not aware of the paddle marketplace!  We can't tell the difference between a high-quality paddle and a cheap one even when we're holding it in our hands!  We even have difficulty writing grammatical sentences!".  To their credit they took it down.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 20, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
Wow.  Unbelievable.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 20, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
For some reason, the "Paddle seemed sorta cheap--nothing special--also like they just bought a box load from china and calls it a high end paddle" line reminds of Steve Martin in The Jerk: 

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of the Chateau Latour?

Steve: Ah yes - but no more 1966. Let's splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.

Waiter: Oui monsieur.

Steve: He doesn't realise he's dealing with sophisticated people here. [Steve realizes with horror what is on Marie's plate] Marie, now just stay calm. Stay calm. Don't look down, don't look down! Look up! Just keep your eyes up and keep them that way, OK.

Steve, to the waiter: Waiter - there are snails on her plate. Now get them out of here before she sees them! [to Marie] Look away, just look away, keep your eyes that way! [to the room of people, which is now watching the pair] You would think that in a fancy restaurant at these prices you could keep the snails off the food! There are so many snails there you can't even see the food! [to the waiter] Now take those away and bring us those melted cheese sandwich appetizers you talked me out of!

Waiter: Oui, monsieur.

Steve: Can you believe this? First, they didn't have the bamboo umbrellas for the wine, and now snails on the food! Two boobs! That's what he takes us for!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #417 on: March 20, 2012, 04:51:44 PM »
Steve Martin at his finest.  Thanks for the reminder PDX. 

PNelson

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 20, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
That was a highly odd move on PSW's part. Maybe mix in some Google time before you pop off.

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
That was a highly odd move on PSW's part.

Agreed. Purchased a board from PSW 2 years ago and had a great experience with him so wouldn't expect above reaction from same place...who knows maybe a new, inexperienced employee put that out.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard