Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551712 times)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #375 on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
I have definitely altered my stroke with the Kenalu.  Using a qb, the paddle was still "oblique" at the catch and I would have to cock it forward to get it vertical before applying real force.  With the kenalu, I have real engagement right at the catch and can apply force immediately.  I find I still mix up my strokes to avoid fatiguing one set of muscles.  I have gone one inch longer than my qb and now am at 85".  I have no desire to go short.  I am on flat water and can use the reach. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
We been Bongo'ed. It's pretty cool, anyone looking to transact and ship products internationally should take a look at this. And on the customer side you can consolidate your own shipments, so if you were buying a wetsuit from O'niel, a paddle from us and a snowboard package from Wiredsports you can ship everything to their Florida address and they consolidate the shipment into one package. Even for a single product it's much, much cheaper than UPS or DHL. Many thanks to Henrik F for tipping us to these guys and being the test case.

The integration on our website is very slick too. Didn't take any major effort to set up. Take a look, it's on Ke Nalu.

We're probably going to use this to support UK and European dealers rather than trying to add distributors there. It looks like it will be much more practical than trying to deal with four or five distributors to cover Europe. We could be wrong, as usual we're feeling our way blindly here, but it looks great so far.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:16:20 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
We been Bongo'ed. It's pretty cool, anyone looking to transact and ship products internationally should take a look at this. And on the customer side you can consolidate your own shipments, so if you were buying a wetsuit from O'niel, a paddle from us and a snowboard package from Wiredsports you can ship everything to their Florida address and they consolidate the shipment into one package. Even for a single product it's much, much cheaper than UPS or DHL. Many thanks to Henrik F for tipping us to these guys and being the test case.

Thanks! :)

Henrik F
crosswater.se

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
Finally got me a Kenalu paddle!! "maliko" cant wait to get in the water to sample this bad boy

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 09, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »
good excuse to get in the water on warm & sunny Hood River spring day - got to borrow a friend's Maliko yesterday for a test drive. very nice paddle! great catch & pull, very quiet in the water. fits my style of paddling very nicely. I was quite impressed with the paddle.

one bent shaft Werner Nitro going up for sale if anyone is interested....
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 09, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
Bill tried to use some hot glue on a competitors paddle to put a handle on. I wasn't thinking when I gave him the hot glue--I know it won't work. You need a slightly different design for the glue to work effectively. The ferrule has to be slightly oval. Particularly dumb of me given that I was working on this article that explains a number of our design choices: http://www.kenalu.com/ke-nalu-elite-paddles/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #381 on: March 09, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
Finally got me a Kenalu paddle!! "maliko" cant wait to get in the water to sample this bad boy

JF, your friends better watch out gonna move from 3rd to 1st on the next race! Don't make the mistake I made by leaving it too long! With the increased catch and efficiency of the KeNalu, I switched from 13 inches over to 11 over.  Much less shoulder strain, easier crossover, and still able to dig deep and work core muscles.

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
Interesting how most people started at a length which was longer than their old paddles and are now going shorter. Love the abality to fine tune the paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
OK PB, I'll bite.

I'm in the UK. How can I get one of your paddles, and how much will it cost either with or without this new Bongo arrangement?

We pay 20% sales tax on anything coming into the UK from the USA, and that 20% is calculated on the price of goods *plus* the carriage costs.

Henrik F - since you seem to be closest to me, how much did it end up costing you in total?

It's the ability to change the length that is clearly the USP for me.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Just bought another Molokai from Ralphie at SUP-Position.

This time with the adjustable handle.

Been slammed, so he brought it to my office.  For free.

Talked quiver for a few minutes before I had to rush him out the door.

Super cool dude.  Amazing service, as always!

Can't wait to use that paddle for my mile time this weekend.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2012, 04:18:28 PM »
Bill tried to use some hot glue on a competitors paddle to put a handle on. I wasn't thinking when I gave him the hot glue--I know it won't work. You need a slightly different design for the glue to work effectively. The ferrule has to be slightly oval.

Just to pick up on that - I've used hot glue on a couple of non-Ke Nalu paddles and it's held up fine but consistent with PB's observation both have ferrules that aren't quite round (they look to have been "hand shaped" a little with a file ex-factory).

And Area10 - the 'adjustable' is a genuine innovation. I have it on both my KN's and wouldn't go back for quids.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:22:46 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 09, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
OK PB, I'll bite.

I'm in the UK. How can I get one of your paddles, and how much will it cost either with or without this new Bongo arrangement?

We pay 20% sales tax on anything coming into the UK from the USA, and that 20% is calculated on the price of goods *plus* the carriage costs.

Henrik F - since you seem to be closest to me, how much did it end up costing you in total?

PM me the name of your local dealer. I'm getting ready to do a push to get some UK dealers. Going to do the UK first since I can't ramp production very quickly. It will probably be the most reasonable way to get one.

Of course you can order direct. Click on the Bongo button on the site and it will tell you what the likely freight will be. The tough part is that it's going to be the same freight for one or five since these aren't heavy, just bulky.

The shipping box size is 69" X 4" X 10" and the weight is 4 pounds.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2012, 04:47:25 AM »

[/quote]

Hello Area10. Sent you an email. Though I forgot to mention that we've got 25% tax on the total in Sweden. (Value and shipping and... everything  :'( )

Henrik F
crosswater.se

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 12, 2012, 04:42:49 AM »
Has anyone experienced their fingers/hands going numb when using one of these paddles?

I'm using mine for distance paddling and every single time I have used it my fingers start going numb on both hands.  I've tried every variation of holding the paddle, holding it as lightly as possible and barely pulling the paddle through the water does not seem to have any effect for me. 

I think the narrow shaft is the cause.  I switched to my Quickblade the other day and did not have any numbness paddling the same distance nor have I ever experienced it previously.

I guess I will try putting a pad on the shaft to see if that helps.  Any other suggestions?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #389 on: March 12, 2012, 05:03:03 AM »
Has anyone experienced their fingers/hands going numb when using one of these paddles?

I'm using mine for distance paddling and every single time I have used it my fingers start going numb on both hands.  I've tried every variation of holding the paddle, holding it as lightly as possible and barely pulling the paddle through the water does not seem to have any effect for me. 

I think the narrow shaft is the cause.  I switched to my Quickblade the other day and did not have any numbness paddling the same distance nor have I ever experienced it previously.

I guess I will try putting a pad on the shaft to see if that helps.  Any other suggestions?

With windsurfing and kitesurfing, numb hands means you've got some carpel tunnel coming on. The damage was already done long before this. Windsurfers and kitesurfers moved to skinner grips to solve the issue. It used to be a big issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal