Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553491 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »
I have both.  I like the Molokai so much that I just ordered another one from the local distributor... this time with the adjustable handle.  For waves... there is just something about that PUNCH from the Molokai...

For a six or eight hour intense paddle, I would probably choose the Maliko just because the Molokai is such a workout... but if you concentrate on good form, your big muscles will last a long time.

Four intense hours on the Molokai is NO PROBLEM!

I was blown away by the power of the Molokai at first... my muscles were sore... then I worked on my form... now it is all good.

Can you say T-U-R-B-O?

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 18, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
Took my Molokai out for the first time this morning.  Pretty smooth paddle.  Does feel different than my QB Kanaha.   Weight difference is negligible at 3/4 of an ounce although the Ke Nalu is a couple inches longer.

The curved/scooped blade must catch more water because it caused my 17 footer to yaw quite a bit which doesn't happen with my Kanaha. 

The one thing I didn't like was the paddle made my fingers go numb after about 2 miles.  Never had that happen before.  Only thing I can think of is that the narrow shaft is the cause, but that is just speculation. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
You're pulling too hard. Everyone does that with a Molokai at first--me included. It catches very early and strongly which is why your board is yawing. Having all that pull way out in front of the center of gravity turns the board. Relax your hands, let the paddle track itself, and don't pull so hard. You'll go just as fast with a moderate pull. I know that sounds weird, but if you have a GPS give it a test.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2012, 05:55:48 AM »
Hands were relaxed.  I made a conscious effort to do that after reading posts on here.   By the end of my paddle I was probably not pulling as hard.or was figuring out how to pull it through the water because the yawing had minimized.  I'll focus on not pulling as hard next time out and see how it goes. 

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 19, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
  Finally had a chance to get on the water with the KeNalu (Thank You, Bill)... Sweet paddle - real smooth! First thing you notice is the weight; Super-light... Next is the catch (or grab) as the tip of the blade enters the water. Again, super smooth and powerful, as well... The stroke is like a hot knife through butter (if this phrase has previously been used - sorry), as is, the release... I mean the best word to describe this paddle is SMOOTH...
 I sell paddles and have tested quite a few and the KeNalu is at the top of the list for what it is: A high quality, high-end, light-weight and well thought out piece of equipment. I'm in N-Fla if any of you local paddlers want to test-paddle it. Just PM me and we can set up a meet-up... Paddle on KeNalu,                JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 19, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
two JD's in a day! Thank you Mr. Motes, good to see you finally got in the water with a Ke Nalu.

Other JD, what screws everyone up with the Molokai is how early it catches. Most paddles only have a small percentage of the blade anywhere near vertical at the catch. The Molokai has about 60 percent. It's even a lot more than the Maliko which has the same shape because most of the extra area of the Molokai is in the sweet spot from the hip of the blade to the tip. So as soon as you start to pull on a Molokai you have nearly full blade engagement.

I have pulled myself off the board going for a wave more than once.

As I said, the answer is to tone it down. With a softer pull you'll get just as much thrust as a Maliko with a hard pull. But when you want it, it's all there.

One of our best women paddlers on Maui, Devin Blish, is using a Molokai. My thigh weighs more than she does and she's killing me in the MCKC races ever since she got hers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »

One of our best women paddlers on Maui, Devin Blish, is using a Molokai. My thigh weighs more than she does and she's killing me in the MCKC races ever since she got hers.

Good on you for sponsoring Devin, she loves the new paddle.  She will be on the podium in all the big races this summer. 

Yes, you have over a hundred pounds on Devin.  She's a fit athlete - does a lot of cross training. 

She was on our run yesterday.  Although we weren't racing, she did finish well before me.  And I was on my ski...

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but your claim that she's beating you in the MCKC races "ever since she got hers" seems odd to me (if I read between the lines). 

It almost seems you are claiming to have been on par with her - until she got a ke nalu molokai.  My words, apologies if i turned it around.  Regardless, I'm calling shenanigans on that. 

I know Devin, I've paddled with Devin and you sir, are no Devin.  She may be in sight on flat water or crappy conditions, but it's probably because she - like most of us - don't give a rat's ass when it's crappy.  She has hopped on Jeremy's 24" Foote maliko and flown with her old paddle.  I couldn't catch her in my oc-1...   
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 19, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
Well, I beat her fair and square in the first race of the season, got a bad start, but I ran her down and passed her, along with a few other folks. Beat her by a reasonable margin. I don't remember what it was. She may not have given a rat's ass at first, but she, like most other folks, do NOT like a fat old guy beating them. I don't think she was loafing when I passed her.  I'm not bad in flatwater for an old fart. I can beat Boyum in flatwater on identical boards though I weigh at least 60 pounds more than he does, and he KILLS me on a downwinder.

I gave her a paddle at the next race--still flatwater--and she flogged me with it. Beat me by ten minutes. I kept thinking I was going to catch her and pass her, but she kept pulling away. I certainly don't present any challenge to Devin on a downwinder. She disappears quickly, as she did at the MCKC Maliko.

My point REALLY was that this little slip of a girl chose a Molokai, our monster catch 9" blade, and she's been spanking me (and other folks) with it. You don't have to pull hard on a big catch blade, in fact you can't. It will just blow you up.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:09:22 PM by PonoBill »

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 19, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
I finally got to use one of these paddles yesterday on our local standard downwind run.  Paddling a 14' in 15knot + conditions.  The paddle was owned by the infamous Lacey.  The Paddle was the Maliko.

I normally use a QB Elite Racer which I love.

First impressions were as expected, great finish, weight and design.

At the beginning of the paddle I felt pretty much at home with this paddle off the bat, the shaft thickness, texture, stiffness felt good.  The paddle was a very similar length to my QB.

As expected by the feedback here it had a smooth entry and steady controlled pull.  While paddling relaxed with a full stroke it felt very good.

The differences I found were:

The Palm Grip.  I understand why everything is clear coated for presentation but I found the shiny finish especially being a 30C mid day paddle to become very slippery, on quite a few occasions when changing sides chasing bumps my hand slipped off the handle.  If it was my paddle i would straight up rub it back flat with 300 grit wet and dry to get rid of the slip.  My QB has the EVA grip which does not have this issue.  Not a problem for the paddle, just my sweaty hands...

The balance of the paddle.  This paddle is super light total, as mentioned here also the weight is in the blade.  I found that the swing weight or pendulum feeling was ever so slightly different feeling a touch heavier in the blade. I am not sure where the KeNalu comes in here.  Again it's just something I would need to adjust to, it's clearly a different paddle.

Paddle exit.  The main difference I found with this Paddle was a slight bite on exit when paddling at full speed, for a runner etc.  It could be my issue but I found that when paddling all out in front at 100% to chase a bump with the paddle coming out way in front of the feet when there is no real chance to let the power off before you exit and race back to the catch I felt that it gave resistance to being twisted out of the water.  As I said above this is probably more to do with my technique but my QB does not do this.  It would be something I could adjust to again.

Apart from these small things it's an amazing paddle and I can understand all of the great feedback, I'd happily own one with the customization adjustments as above.  I'd also use the T-Grip as opposed to the Palm grip.  I paddle Outrigger also and I like the feel of the T-Grip to provide a better control of the blade and also to catch with the thumb on changing sides.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:14:46 PM by CMC »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »

The Palm Grip.  I understand why everything is clear coated for presentation but I found the shiny finish especially being a 30C mid day paddle to become very slippery, on quite a few occasions when changing sides chasing bumps my hand slipped off the handle.  If it was my paddle i would straight up rub it back flat with 300 grit wet and dry to get rid of the slip.  My QB has the EVA grip which does not have this issue.  Not a problem for the paddle, just my sweaty hands...

Paddle exit.  The main difference I found with this Paddle was a slight bite on exit when paddling at full speed, for a runner etc.  It could be my issue but I found that when paddling all out in front at 100% to chase a bump with the paddle coming out way in front of the feet when there is no real chance to let the power off before you exit and race back to the catch I felt that it gave resistance to being twisted out of the water.  As I said above this is probably more to do with my technique but my QB does not do this.  It would be something I could adjust to again.

Apart from these small things it's an amazing paddle and I can understand all of the great feedback, I'd happily own one with the customization adjustments as above.  I'd also use the T-Grip as opposed to the Palm grip.  I paddle Outrigger also and I like the feel of the T-Grip to provide a better control of the blade and also to catch with the thumb on changing sides.

I sand my handles, but I use 1000 grit paper that used for cleaning pool cues--eliminates the slip but leaves them still looking pretty good. I just sand the top edge. I might have to try a more aggressive grit.

The exit is definitely tricky with a Ke Nalu. It works best with a firm feathering just as you finish the power phase. I feather with my lower hand and it really pops the paddle, but if you don't feather, or you feather too late, it absolutely sticks. We gave up some ease of use for better catch.

Glad you liked the paddle. I like the Ergo T best, it gives the kind of control you're talking about, but a lot of people like the comfort of the Ergo. We do a full classic T as well, mainly for the OC paddlers.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2012, 07:52:17 PM »
I think when it comes to handles we're about the only company that's crazy enough to offer this many options, except for EVA-covered handles. I have to confess that's because of my bias--and perhaps Lane's. I don't like them. They get ragged fast and they promote blisters. So yeah, we should probably not inflict our biases on our customers, but I REALLY don't like them. And that's really only four handles, handle five is just the backside of the Ergo-T.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:54:36 PM by PonoBill »

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
EVA handles... I have always used EVA handles... but they tear... every EVA handle I have ever have, I have torn to bits... I still wanted one for my Ke Nalu...

I have waxed up my grips... and now I don't miss the EVA grip... and as I have said elsewhere, either sold or given away all three of my old QB's.

I have a bias toward the ergo handle... because when I am in the surf... hopping up on the board quickly... it is very apparent that you are holding the paddle properly (the blade direction) by the way the ergo handle fits in your hand.  Also, some of my boards are a bit tippy, and once I am up... I have to grab a paddle full of water in order to stay up... it is critical that I am certain that I have the right side of my paddle blade facing forward...

Having said that, the paddle I just ordered from Ralphie is with the extended ergo T... (Molokai) because I LOVE the adjustability of that handle.

I haven't done the sandpaper thing... just because my paddle is so purdy!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Yes. I must agree.  My QB EVA Handle is torn, luckily not anywhere where my hand rubs.  But torn none the less.

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
I agree that the EVA foam handles are nice until they get chewed up.  Have you guys tried experimenting with something like plastidip?

It's a spray can application that adds a rubbery type coating that is similar to the rubber handles on tools.  Might feel similar to the eva handles.  Not sure how durable it would be but it's cheap and can be redone.

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 20, 2012, 08:26:04 AM »
An extended palm handle whatever you call them would be nice.  I'm not a fan of these small handles.   Maybe I'm just used to the QB after 6 or so years but I find them more comfortable.  Or I guess I could buy a second   Molokai.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal