Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551707 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »

I made this today out of an old oval shaft from a broken paddle (I have a lrge collection of broken stuff) and stuck it on my goto Maliko. So far I'm really liking it. Just pulled the handle off, put a dab of glue inside the bit of shaft, and stuck it where I usually put my hand in the choked down position.

I made a Siamesed handle yesterday from one of our Ergo handles with a 45 degree section cut out of it. Then I epoxied it to a section of lower shaft that telescopes onto the tapered upper shaft, and glassed it into place on the section so I could try it in various positions. It works ok but feels odd. Next I'm going to get a ski pole grip and fab something like Lacey's on Seabreeze, but I'll have a extended ergo-t above it as I do with this simpler handle.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:52:02 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
I made this today out of an old oval shaft from a broken paddle (I have a lrge collection of broken stuff) and stuck it on my goto Maliko. So far I'm really liking it. Just pulled the handle off, put a dab of glue inside the bit of shaft, and stuck it where I usually put my hand in the choked down position.
What's the purpose of that, versus just putting tape on the shaft to grip at the choked-down position?  Is it to give you a wider section to hold onto?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
yup. Plus the oval section gives a bit more torque. It's not clear in the picture, but the handle is quite a bit bigger than the shaft and has a bulge on the bottom to rest the meaty part of my hand against.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
Interesting Bill... just like building up your grip on your tennis racket...

Let us know.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

AlbinoRhino

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
Just picked up my Ke Nalu Maliko paddle at Hi-Tech on Maui.  Wavered a bit between the Maliko and the Molokai, I'm 6' 250, but the guys at Hi-Tech were really great and helped me decide.  Can't wait to try it out tomorrow morning before the big game.  I'll report back after I take it out for a test.  Can't wait.

T-Boy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
I've had three good surf sessions with my Wiki-60%shaft and I love it,  the flex is just  right no prob. getting into waves on my 9'0" and my bum left shoulder actually feels better after surfing! Good job Bill and thanks again for the demo at the harbor. T
Angulo 14x28 carbon custom
JL 8-11 Striker
Hobie 8-11 CM Torque
L-41 8-0x30.5 ST

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
yup. bigger than the shaft and has a bulge on the bottom to rest the meaty part of my hand against.

I'm not sure I like where this is going.   I thought this was a family values type of place.   ???

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »
Anytime we talk about handling shafts the place just goes to hell.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Loving the Wiki Pono.  Seems pretty freaking solid too:)  Lots of miles and heavy hits and she's holding on strong.
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 07, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
Yea!!! Someone finally broke a Ke Nalu!

Okay, I know it's a little nutty to be excited about this, but it's really pretty cool. Of the hundreds of paddles out there we've had one blade swell in the sun (weird), UPS broke one, and an extended ergo-t handle broke.

This paddle broke during a race in New Zealand. the interesting thing is that it broke the shaft, not the joint. Most paddles break in the joint or the blade. The shaft breaking is very unusual. This was a 60Flex shaft, and they have about 80 percent of the strength of the 100 and 90 flex. Still, the 60 Flex shaft goes to 200 pounds in my press without any noticeable effect. Guy has got to be a gorilla.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 07, 2012, 05:42:21 PM »
 That's very good, PB. Not a bad percentage, at all.  Even better that you chose to publicly talk about a paddle that failed here on the Zone. I love that about you...  I sell paddles (and a few other things) as a living and love a company (or person) that chooses to air their dirty laundry in the open.
 I have yet to get my Ke Nalu in the water (it's still in its box) but look forward to putting her through her paces here in our harsh Florida conditions  ;D ;D ;D... Keep up the great work and paddle on,                   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
You can always tell a manufacturer that is proud of their product, because they aren't afraid to talk about the failures. 

Bill, any a progress on a bent shaft Ke Nalu?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2012, 10:18:21 AM »
Nope. It's going to be a while. I tried a couple of experiments and lost catch like crazy. We're going to have to design a blade that works with a bent shaft or find some way to maintain a vertical aspect.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Got my new Molokai yesterday.  Scrambled to put it together last night after the kids went to bed and before I had any wine (never drink and fix / build).  
I awoke and was dragging this morning from Buoy intimidation.  13 feet @ 15 seconds tends to slow me down as I contemplate my resolve.  . . .  That said I peddled my electric bike to my local spot and within 30 minutes caught my first 2 waves with the Molokai in hand.  Considering that a regular, who had been out since dark, said the second wave was the biggest he had seen all morning, and I was at Mavericks, I believe this is a good start to the relationship.
PS: I did catch a little bit of air on that second wave and nearly left something in my suit.  

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 13, 2012, 01:31:30 PM »
Nothing quite as dramatic as Beasho... but I had a chance to paddle my Molokai side by side with my Maliko yesterday.  Didn't feel like driving down to my new NW swell secret spot (there was a distance event there yesterday and parking would have been a nightmare) ... didn't feel like hassling at Creek... so I rolled up to DogPatch at dawn.  Went out on my 8'3" ... (not a DogPatch board)... remebered why I really don't like DogPatch and was ready to pack it in after a half hour... in fact, rode a wave in, intending to bail.

As I am walking to my car, I see Chazz on top... taunting me... ("betcha can't turn me!")...  I put the plastic snap in fin in the box (didn't want to break a Larry Allison fin on the cobbles)... and paddled Chazz out... 2-4 ish a little rolly.  First with the Maliko... then with the Molokai.  The Maliko is distance length, the Molokai is surf length... Conclusion:  I need to get a distance length Molokai!  Once, I actually whiffed with the Molokai and ended up on my arse (actually in the water) as I wasn't used to the shorter length.  The power burst of the Molokai is addicting...

Let's just say that Chazz was having a blast at DogPatch... catching lots of waves... riding some of them all the way through to the inside... kind of tough to pivot to go off the top with that plastic fin... and I need to put some wax behind the pad.  Corran nailed this shape!

I probably had more fun in those four hours at the Patch than I have EVER had at the Patch... got a teeny bit of grief that I wasn't playing fair... but I think it was all in good fun.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal