Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551953 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »
I have had my paddles as long as 86" for racing and downwind (I'm 6'2" and have pretty long arms) but now I'm down to 81" and it's feeling pretty good. I'm working on some ideas for the process to test length.

I had my surf paddle at 79" and dropped it all the way to 75" but it started feeling unstable. Today I surfed with my race paddle at 81 and it helped stability, but screwed up my cutbacks.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
An update on the "fat" extended T handles. I had several conversations (both phone and email) with a customer who was having trouble getting his handle to fit and didn't really want to wait for a replacement handle. Since he wanted his Maliko paddle to be about 81" I told him to be generous cutting the shaft since that would solve the problem--but it didn't. So this morning I started sectioning a shaft every inch and discovered our shafts DO NOT taper for the first six inches.

Makes perfect sense that they don't, it prevents handles from being too loose until a lot of shaft gets cut away, but I had no idea that they were not a continuous taper. Made me feel like an idiot. Fortunately I'm used to that.

Anyway, if you have a handle that's too tight, cutting the shaft a little probably won't help. So just get in touch with us and we'll swap it out. Unfortunately we have a lot more fat handles than proper handles, and the next shipment isn't due for a week, so if you're ordering a new extended T handle you might have a little wait--unless you're really short.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
I finally got to use my new Maliko.

I'm 6'2 and used it uncut. That makes the Malikio 1.5" longer than my other brand paddle.

The Malikio took less effort to pull, and my board accelerated much faster. Going back to my other paddle, the strain was greater and I went nowhere paddling by comparison.

It was a twilight zone experience for sure. How the Malikio can look so ordinary and perform so much better is beyond me.

BTW, my old paddle and the Maliko are the same square inch blade size.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Powered by psychos

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
crosswater.se

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:56 AM »
Hello PB, if it helps, I'm very happy to work with you to design and analyse a trial to see if "shorter is better" when it comes to paddles. It does seem like something we should know.

Just let me know what resources you would have (numbers of paddles, paddlers, how easy it would be to change lengths of paddles, how long you have for the trial, how long each run would take etc), and I can make some suggestions. In fact, if you wanted, I could even give you a spreadsheet of orders of runs, paddles, paddlers etc so all you would have to do is just fill in the blanks when you get your group together. I'm then happy to let the magic of multiple regression do its thing.

Now off to go paddle. It's currently -1C outside (30F) with a cold NE wind and I'm having to paddle in the sea today because my local protected waterway is completely frozen over. Brr... THIS is why cold water SUPers like me are continually asking about the stability of boards: Drysuits and wetsuits get too hot if you train hard, but a dip without them in this weather a long way from home could really put a crimp on your day.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2012, 04:33:47 AM »
This trail should be very interesting. Maybe I'll have to shorten my Wiki when you're finished. Unfortunately I'm in the same position as Area 10. It is -10°C and the Baltic is being closed rapidly with ice. My home harbour/beach is frozen already  :( :( :(

Henrik F
crosswater.se

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2012, 04:48:54 AM »
-10? Baltic? Henrik, you win. You are my new hero.

Paddle on brother, may your booties be always dry and warm, and your board steady .

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »
-10? Baltic? Henrik, you win. You are my new hero.

Paddle on brother, may your booties be always dry and warm, and your board steady .

Sad to say this but I'm all but a hero. I hate getting out paddling when the temperature is falling down to around 0°C (32°F). Maybe if someone paid me a huge amount of cash I would try paddling in this weather.
Right now the temp has dropped even further. -12°C. Fy fan i helvete <-- Cursing in Swedish.

Henrik F
crosswater.se

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
This is what my beach looks like at the moment. Or more likely it will look like this for the next month or so...  :'(

crosswater.se

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »
Regarding the discussion of shorter paddles for compromised shoulders, I was just noticing that if you grip the paddle shaft "Connor style" instead of gripping the handle, it automatically changes the angle of your forearm and puts your elbow lower, helping with shoulder protection (though it might be tougher on the wrist.)   Could be something to experiment with.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Regarding the discussion of shorter paddles for compromised shoulders, I was just noticing that if you grip the paddle shaft "Connor style" instead of gripping the handle, it automatically changes the angle of your forearm and puts your elbow lower, helping with shoulder protection (though it might be tougher on the wrist.)   Could be something to experiment with.

Funny you should mention that.....

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/im-going-to-be-laughed-at/

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
I finally got to use my new Maliko.

I'm 6'2 and used it uncut. That makes the Malikio 1.5" longer than my other brand paddle.

The Malikio took less effort to pull, and my board accelerated much faster. Going back to my other paddle, the strain was greater and I went nowhere paddling by comparison.

It was a twilight zone experience for sure. How the Malikio can look so ordinary and perform so much better is beyond me.

BTW, my old paddle and the Maliko are the same square inch blade size.

Spooky isn't it ???

I've just sold the last of my 'old' paddles that up until recently I loved but found I just couldn't stand to use anymore.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Oh man I've had my KeNalu since October and I'm going thorough the same experience.  I use the KeNalu in the surf, flat water & racing and I am having a hard time going back to the old paddles.  Nothing compares in weight, comfort and getting a clean stroke.  I am totally stoked on this paddle and ready to order up #2.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SUPpaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
That is spooky.  Now how about a molded carbon "Connor" handle that can be moved anywhere up or down the shaft with a slider lock on the back side that wedges against the shaft.

True story (according to a patent attorney) -- after the Industrial Revolution in the late nineteenth century, the head of the U.S. Patent Office suggested shutting down the Office because "everything of use had already been invented."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal