Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553220 times)

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »
Hey Bill, still loving my two KeNalu paddles. 

On the topic of light paddles...is there ever a point where a paddle can be too light to affect performance? For example, is there a point where the weight of a paddle actually helps it or gives it some momentum through the water?  Has anyone ever felt a paddle to be too light?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
I don't think so, the only thing I find is that the very low swing weight of the Wiki encourages a faster cadence. I'm kind of an autopilot paddler, so I do find myself paddling with a faster cadence than I prefer with a Wiki.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
I went out today with one of Gorgebob's Malikos--this time my correct length.  With the wind at our backs, the paddle WAS basically weightless on the recovery--once I pulled it out of the water, without feathering it just blew forward with no effort on my part.  Based on that, I'd say having a paddle that was too light wouldn't be a bad problem to have. 

The paddle already was much lighter than my QB anyway.  The feeling was a bit weird (in a good way).  When you don't need to use any effort to push the paddle forward with your lower hand, and there's almost no weight to pull your upper hand down, my upper hand felt like it was resting on a floating handle--like it was being magically supported in midair by the handle.  Usually I feel like the handle is going to drop if I stop applying some force with my lower arm to keep the handle up in place. 

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »

It would be interesting to see what the Ke Nalu weights are out in the field. Any of you Wiki owners care to share your paddle weight?

I'll share:

My Wiki - 484 grams (17.07 oz)

My Maliko - 526 grams (18.55 oz)

excuse the crappy blackberry pics.

both have 100% standard-length carbon shafts and extended ergo-T handles, the Maliko has 30mm of shaft trimmed off (4 grams  ;D  - and thank goodness for the extended handles). Each has a wrap of electrical tape at the handle/shaft joints and a strip around the blade (sorry Bill, but that's how I roll). Probably a few grams variation here & there for glue.

Perception's a funny thing, a friend has been trialling both mine back-to-back on a couple of runs this week, he described the Maliko as "noticeably heavier". Only 42 grams but I suppose that's about 8% of the Wiki, I suppose it'll be the swing weight of the blade he's feeling. I spent a few minutes with another friend's QB elite 100 this morning, the weight in it was immediately present, it felt noticeably stiffer and I felt the power in it but I'm not sure how long I could run hard with it.

By contrast my Starboard Enduro 550 (full carbon) weighs 552 grams, my 8" Fanatic (80% Carbon/Bamboo) weighs 600 grams. Both are shorter than my Ke Nalus.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:05:37 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »
The extended handle adds about 20-30 grams. An ergo-t weighs about 35 grams and most extended ergo-t's are 55 grams. The extended handles are molded so there's some variation. We're looking at some alternative ways to make them, they're a bitch.

Your buddy is definitely feeling swing weight. All of that 42 gram difference is in the blade.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »
My 81" Wiki with an Ergo-T!

Henrik F

crosswater.se

Wood_Ogre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »
I like a light paddle for down wind and a heavey paddle for paddleing into the wind or when the wind is gusty. I always have two paddles on my board so I can take my pick' made a little clip to hold the extra paddle. Mined you this is flat water paddleing not in the surf . The one question I have been meaning to ask Bill , are your Pono paddles made in the US or are they make in asia or wherever ?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
China. We tried to do it in the US but couldn't find the time available on the kind of presses and tube forming equipment we wanted to use. As we grow we'll consider buying some of the equipment, or perhaps partnering with some US manufacturers who will take us seriously when we have some volume, but it's tough to do. You have to want to from almost purely patriotic reasons.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2012, 09:15:17 AM »
Some of the most recent batch of Extended T handles are a bit too large in diameter. People who have them probably won't notice if they've cut the shaft more than two inches, but if your extended T handle is super hard to position, and that bothers you, let me know via email or PM. We'll have a fix for it shortly or we can replace your handle from the next batch.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:20 PM »
I've been experimenting with shortening my paddle a little to enable a little more core engagement. I now have the length set so my upper arm is slightly less than parallel to the board with max reach and the neck of the paddle at the rail. I'm playing around with Jonathan's take on engaging more of the legs and hips. The shorter length helps it happen, and since Ke Nalu paddles catch very early, I don't feel like I'm loosing anything. In fact it feels faster, though I don't have numbers.

For anyone dealing with shoulder issues, you have to try this. My creaky, hacked up shoulders feel wonderful. I did eight miles yesterday, most of it flatwater, and at the end my shoulders felt warm and loose. No pain at all last night. That's HUGE for me, my shoulders always hurt.

dan.j

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #280 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »
My wiki is coming in at 449grams

and Maliko is 479grams, I did have the Extended handle in but found i was getting my paddle shorter and shorter.

current paddle length is 80inches Im 5'11''.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:20:15 AM by dan.j »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 01, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »

I did have the Extended handle in but found i was getting my paddle shorter and shorter.
current paddle length is 80inches Im 5'11''.

Funny how that works, it's exactly backwards to what I expected. I started off going longer and longer but wasn't getting any benefit in speed and my shoulders started getting tweaky. Now my race paddle is shorter than it's ever been and my extended handle was pushed all the way in. So I cut five inches off my race paddle and pulled the extended handle back out. With the handle all the way in I'm at a good surf length.

I guess I have a new project. I need to figure out what the optimal, or at least suggested best length is for racing. I'm going to focus on flatwater for the time being since that's easiest to measure. I'm going to need more data points than just my own, so if any of you folks that have an extended handle and a GPS want to play along, we'll figure this out together.

I'll work on putting the test segments together and come up with a methodology, We'll need some physio analysis and advice. Maybe Balance_fit will help, he seems to really know his stuff. And a little regression analysis to ensure the validity of the testing. I can't remember the handle of the guy who checked the board tests, but I'll go dig that out. Seems like something worth knowing, or at least having a better starting point than "one shaka over your head".

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
^Bill it was member "Area 10" did the scrutiny on the Aussie board tests.
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

dan.j

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: February 01, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
Yeah bill all the race folk here who are going really fast, are using short paddles,

1medic

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: February 01, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
I've been experimenting with shortening my paddle a little to enable a little more core engagement. I now have the length set so my upper arm is slightly less than parallel to the board with max reach and the neck of the paddle at the rail."

Hey Bill, How much shorter did you go? I'm using your Maliko and Molokai at 84 inches and I'm looking at going 2 to 4 inches shorter for racing and training. For reference I'm 5'11" and used Dave Kalama's method of paddle length (handle in palm at full vertical arm reach when standing).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:26:14 PM by 1medic »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard