Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 553243 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »
From me. I will probably get around to setting up a Maui dealer in a week or so, haven't talked to anyone yet. In the meantime just PM me and we can set it up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »
I'm going to start doing weekly demos in New England shortly. Obviously not as many folks out paddling this time of year but I figure those that do are the hardcore and deserve a Ke Nalu... ;D

If you're in New England and want to demo let me know and I'll try and schedule one close to you.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
Easiest way to heat adjustable handle:  set hair dryer on shelf.  Lean paddle against shelf sohairdryer is blowing hot air onto desired area.  Put towel over paddle so dryer is blowing into towel.  Watch closely so no house fire... Voila.  The towel redirects the hot air to the shaft. Works like magic and very quickly to boot.

By the way... A ke Nalu with an accidentally crooked handle still beats the stuffing out of a QB elite dimpled race paddle...  Tried them both today,back to back... No comparison... When I paddled with the QB, I saw my old friend, "flutter" for the first time in a long time... See the thread on my imagine downwinders for the full story...

Better living through applied physics...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
Fabulous Heat Gun
I love the Ace hardware store in Kahalui, Maui--they have EVERYTHING and everyone that works there knows exactly where anything is. How did they do that? Even Diane loves it for their home section. They have particular pans that she has been looking for everywhere. That seems odd, she's kind of a high-end gal, but she's always willing to go with me to the hardware store. Always walks out with an armload of stuff--and she's NOT a shopper.

Anyway, I digress, Ace has a fabulous heat gun, cheap (about 30 bucks). It has "digital" temperature adjustments that are very accurate. I was able to set mine up so it heats the ferrules and shaft to a perfect temperature for gluing. If you're looking for one, this is the one to get.

The only challenge might be if you take your wife along and you happen to live in Maui. Your 30 buck heat gun might cost you a few hundred.

That's funny.  My parents have an Ace Hardware store on the side for when they retire.  I swear I can't stop by without leaving with a trunk load of stuff.  They often get lots of requests from customers for items they have used and like so we bring them in.  Very customer oriented.

Anyways back to the paddles.  I will be ordering one soon but not sure which one yet.  I have a QB Kanaha now that I think is the 100sq inch model.  The paddle will be for my new 14' infinity race board. I'm 6'1" and 210-215.  Thinking about the middle size.

Also any feedback from paddles in the sun.  If I leave it on the rack with one of the thule paddle holders could it get hot enough to release the glue? Prob need to keep it in a white bag.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:48:57 PM by NickFL »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
They don't heat up enough in the sun for the glue to release. The glue we use (and for that matter, the stuff from Ace Hardware) releases at 165F degrees. The hottest I've been able to get one sitting in direct Maui sun is 135F.

Hard to go wrong with the Maliko (8.5). It's pretty spot on. The Molokai is great for power surfing, or long distance races where you want max efficiency and you can settle down and stop pulling hard, but for racing at your weight I'd go with the Maliko.

I tire myself out with the Wiki. The little bugger makes me work too hard. It's fast for sprints, but geez.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
They don't heat up enough in the sun for the glue to release.

mine has - the bed of my pickup is black.   :)
Support your local shaper

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
Another point of view on Pono Paddles -
I had to stop rock climbing and minimize whitewater paddling due to elbow/shoulder pain but can SUP for miles without issues using my bent shaft Nitro. I bought the Wiki / 100 paddle and set it up 2 inches longer than my Nitro (12" above head) based on forum. I paddled for an hour and had to stop due to shoulder pain, which grounded me for over a week. So I went back to the nitro and had no shoulder issues, but now noticed how much it wobbled compared to the Wiki. I've shortened the Wiki 2 inches and that made all the difference - I've only tried it for an half hour to be safe and will try an extended paddle this week and get some stroke coaching. I still love my Nitro but hope to perfect my form enough with the wiki to try a Mailko. I'm wondering if this is a good plan for shoulder sufferers: start small, perfect form, and go to larger blades...or not. ???
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2012, 10:12:54 AM »
You might be fine with a wiki for good, if you get used to it the higher cadence is a good thing when you want acceleration. I did the same thing to my shoulders--went a little too long.

I'm all over the board these days with paddle length. Completely confused. I've been doing distance training (laps around the harbor) with a Maliko at 88 inches which seemed great until I noticed my shoulders aching at night. Of course they always do, but this was Advil level stuff. That might be all the surfing I've been doing but I suspect it's over-extending my shoulder on training paddles. So I went down to 85 last night and we'll see what that's doing.

For surfing I've been using a Maliko xTuf at 74". Went back up to 78" yesterday to see how it felt. Answer: not quite as good. I like how quickly I can change sides with 74" and I love the flex for cutbacks. Like sitting back into an easy chair. The short length helps to keep my ass off the shaft when I lean back too, and that's a good thing.

I believe in making big changes when you're stumped, and then small changes to tune. In the pure environment of the Columbia River (no surfing) it was a lot easier to tweak things. But toss surfing and big swell open ocean downwinders into the mix and everything goes a little sideways. I'm going to try to get back to making changes to only one thing at a time--leave my surf length alone and focus on flatwater length.

But I'm damned sure not going to stop surfing in all this great swell we're having.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
It's great to be able to change lengths, because it makes you aware of the various parts of the stroke more so than if you're stuck with one fixed length.  

A long paddle can definitely put more stress on your shoulder, not just because it takes more force to move a blade on a longer arm, but also because you have to lift it more every stroke when recovering forward.  

Also, I think people tend to overreach with longer paddles--partly because the length allows you to reach further before you have to stop reaching in order to lower the paddle into the water, and partly because people tend to buy longer paddles in the first place so that they can reach further.  (People who buy long paddles may sometimes be obsessed with the idea of reach, but people who buy short ones probably are more focused on rhythm and cadence.)  It's easy to get caught up in the idea that the further forward you can get the blade, the better.   Everyone's read Dave Kalama's "Reach, Dammit, Reach!" advice.  

But I think what he meant was to reach forward as far as you can with a proper-length paddle without distorting your body so much that by the time the blade's in the water, you've put your shoulder joint in an unstable position, lost your balance, and moved way beyond your power zone, so you have to waste time and energy to move the blade back to where it should have been in the first place before you can apply full power.  

And if you use a paddle that's too long, yes you can get it further forward in the water, but it distorts your stroke, puts more stress on your shoulders, and doesn't give you any of the benefits that you get when you put a shorter paddle that far forward by properly reaching with your body.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:05:27 AM by pdxmike »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2012, 11:34:12 AM »
I happen to be wearing the "Reach, Dammit, Reach" T-shirt that Dave gave me. Maybe that's the problem.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »
Or you could try the Hail Mary approach to paddling without injury--go long and pray.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »

For surfing I've been using a Maliko xTuf at 74". Went back up to 78" yesterday to see how it felt. Answer: not quite as good.

Bill,

We have found, when pushing the limits of balance surfing small SUPs, short paddles severely hamper your balance. You want an upright torso for the best balance. Short paddles make you bend over a lot and really make you bonk a lot.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2012, 12:45:58 PM »
+ 1 DW.

I haven't measured a paddle in lots of years... but measured my Peahi the other day to respond to a PM.  82 inches.  My Ke Nalu is the same height (just from looking at the two together on the paddle rack)... I am a shade over 6'1".

I think that is considered long for a surf paddle... but in an hour and a half in high tide head high surf refracting off a jetty in a crowded lineup this morning on my 7'9" by 26 by 3.6 "Adam" I fell exactly zero times.

Some of it is balance... some of it is an amazing board that Adam and Corran designed... and a good piece of it is the confidence that I have when I need to slap my Ponopaddle in the water for grip and use the leverage... it is now an extension of my arm...

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »

For surfing I've been using a Maliko xTuf at 74". Went back up to 78" yesterday to see how it felt. Answer: not quite as good.

Bill,

We have found, when pushing the limits of balance surfing small SUPs, short paddles severely hamper your balance. You want an upright torso for the best balance. Short paddles make you bend over a lot and really make you bonk a lot.

Probably helps that my go-to surfboard is a 10'10". But I know what you mean, I'm wobbling around a lot more than normal and my braces are not a good as they are with the longer shafts. I just like the feel once I get in the wave.

I bonk constantly, I don't think I could tell the difference. I'm tired right now just from typing.

ODJ

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »

Bill,

i have actually experienced the exact opposite as you. granted i don't think i necessarily surf a 'short' board since i ride a 9'0, and i am 6'2, 185. i now prefer a shorter paddle for surfing, and my current paddle is 5, maybe 6 inches overhead. i find the shorter paddle MUCH better for when the waves get big (and i know that big is a relative term, but for me it's big when it's over head to a couple feet overhead, and anything more than that i am just a spectator!).

when i surf the steeper, late-drop beach breaks the longer paddle is actually a hinderance. for those waves you already need to be in your surf stance, starting to crouch down (you can still crouch or get down and still keep a straight torso)  and be ready to go. with a longer paddle you are crouched down, but your arms are way up in the air while paddling, which its throwing off your balance. The shorter paddle allows me to bend at the knees a touch and lower my center of gravity and really dig in and take a later drop much easier. now even if it's a big day and it's a slow rolling, a-frame type wave, the paddle length wouldn't be as critical i would think. just my two cents, and YMMV!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:38:17 PM by ODJ »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard