Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551854 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2011, 03:35:57 AM »
I now have a Ke Nalu that's a similar size and length to my Kialoa Toro (thanks Bill) so it will be interesting to compare to two paddles.. It was hard for me to tell which was the lighter paddle because they are very close.. I'll get them accurately weighed at my friends machine shop.. But it's how they paddle that matters the most.. Here's a few pictures that show the two side by side.

DJ

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
I just installed and used the extended handle that I received the other day.  This is great; I can now use one paddle for both surfing and racing/touring. The installation of the extended handle did not go well. Then I looked at Bill’s install video on kenalu.com, and it then went very well. The trick is to heat both the glue on the extension, and the shaft it goes into. If you don’t heat the shaft, it only goes in a little way and stops.

Bill, one thing though, what is the length of the extension. Knowing this will help in knowing where to heat the shaft once it is installed.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
Long day.  Fun day  Used old surf and pono paddle.  Never using old surf paddle again. It felt imprecise, heavy, and ...blunt.  The pono paddle really pops out on the flip, grabs, is lighter than light and feels precise.  Sorry for the analysis disguised as gossamer.  It was fun though.  Paddled down to my spot on my 8'3, with the tip of the blade of my old paddle under my toes, shaft forward. Let's say it was a challenge.

Then, after surfing for a few hours, grabbed my Corran downwinders and played in the stiffer than stiff Sw wind for a few hours.  Used my distance paddle for one lap, then the pono paddle for the next lap.  Need to get the extend grip as I just couldn't plant the pono paddle far  enough in front for a true comparison.  My non pono distance paddle is the new QB dimpled one...

A suggestion in cutting your pono paddle... Cut it longer than you think you will want it.  The paddle just slips into the water and with pulling it out at your feet, you want to make sure you are engaging well at the initial part of your stroke.

Not having any muscle fatigue issues, but that is because using the pono paddle really forces you to concentrate on your form.

Out for now.

Tim

More comparison next week after the extended handle arrives.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »
Forgive me for not reading the 9 pages prior to this, but I just want to jump in and say I tried out my new paddle for the first time yesterday. I already own both the QB elite racer and the Kialoa Toro so I was able to compare them side by side in exactly the same lenght. The short answer is that my new favorite race paddle is the KeNalu. I will be selling the other two on the forum here if anyone is interested.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:06 PM »
I've had about 3 hours on the water with my new 8 1/2" Ke Nalu Maliko paddle and I reckon it's a sweet, sweet thing. I don't think I have the length dialled yet but it's definitely going to be my paddle of choice for flat water training/distance/racing and high cadence running. Entry and exit are super easy and it tracks dead straight with zero flutter so you don't even have to think about that. Unlike some other reports I reckon I've found it a bit more forgiving than my other paddles (full-carbon Starboard Enduro 550 & an 8"  Bamboo Fanatic). The ergo-T handle comes to hand very nicely and allows for a relaxed grip. The narrow shaft is a nice surprise too, it sits nicely in the hook of my fingers allowing a relaxed lower hand and a bit more reach. Nice flex even with the 100% Carbon shaft. The grippiness and tracking also make it easy to choke down on the paddle Baxter-style for hard charges. I agree with the Leper that running it a bit longer rather than shorter could be the go.

I don't think I'd want to go down to the Wiki (I'm 6'2 & 265) and for now I think I prefer a bit more grunt than the 8 1/2" brings for shoving my 14 footer around when the water's lumpy so I won't be tossing my other paddles just yet (at least until I try the Molokai?  ;) )
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:24:12 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »
Not to highjack the thread but my wife and my bags just arrived along with her Wiki paddle and they are beautiful. Nice workmanship, great protection paddingfor 2 different paddles, and many other cool features features.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2011, 06:39:14 AM »
Before I get a hundred emails asking where your paddle bag is, we had to wait to get boxes. The folks that are getting their early are those that recently ordered a paddle where we could stick the bag in a paddle box. The small boxes for the bags got here yesterday, but today is Turkey day, so we'll start getting them out tomorrow. Got a LOT of paddle bags to send.

Please be patient, if you bought a paddle before 11/21/2011 then you're on the list and we'll get it off to you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Anyone broke one yet?  At his time of year, with surf on the reefs, I'd dread having to prone paddle my Bullet to shore.  I've been using the KeNalu on small surf  days so far and am gaining confidence with it's strength. 

Shirley and I will paddle today and do a small quick meal at home.  No overfull stomach, no extended time in the kitchen, more fun.  It's been raining at night but brilliant days.  Aloha... from Maui.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »
Head,

I got pinched pretty hard a few times with it.  Had it in my hands in a close out shore real... So far so good.

Can't wai for my extended handle so I can try using a longer length.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2011, 04:06:46 PM »
Anyone broke one yet?  At his time of year, with surf on the reefs, I'd dread having to prone paddle my Bullet to shore.  I've been using the KeNalu on small surf  days so far and am gaining confidence with it's strength. 

Shirley and I will paddle today and do a small quick meal at home.  No overfull stomach, no extended time in the kitchen, more fun.  It's been raining at night but brilliant days.  Aloha... from Maui.

So far the only folks that have broken one is UPS. It appears they could break the ears off a brass donkey. I've herked on them pretty hard, and run them up to 200# in my press, but I need to take one all the way.

When we get to Maui I plan to give one to Chris and one to Junya and tell them to go bust 'em. Pretty sure they can do it. I've watched Junya break several paddles just stroking for a wave. If they live very long with those guys playing with them then we're all pretty much OK.

Happy Thanksgiving you guys.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2011, 04:21:15 PM »
So far the only folks that have broken one is UPS. It appears they could break the ears off a brass donkey. I've herked on them pretty hard, and run them up to 200# in my press, but I need to take one all the way.
If you'd quit treating the UPS guys like that, maybe they'd be more careful with your paddles.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »
A few pages back, there was some discussion about the finish and sanding.  After 5 or 6 sessions, I have effectively sanded my finish with my new calluses.  I had to make all new calluses due to the different grip and diameter.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
I've got one report of very sore shoulders and arms from a Wiki, anyone else having problems?

I've had two people say they felt some blade wobble, but in one case it turned out to be holding the paddle too tight. Haven't heard back from the other person.  

The blade want's to track straight--when we pull any of the three blades through a tank with a bungee cord it self-aligns and pulls straight as a string. If you grip it too tight you might be slightly mis-aligning the blade and fighting the self-tracking. Relax and let the paddle do the work.

This article might be helpful: http://www.kenalu.com/2011/11/stand-up-paddles-and-pain/

I'd like to hear about any issues with Ke Nalu paddles. All the kudos and nice comments are really nice, but our aim is to make a great paddle.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 06:32:36 PM by PonoBill »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2011, 06:45:33 PM »
If you'd quit treating the UPS guys like that, maybe they'd be more careful with your paddles.

Now I have a mental picture of taking a UPS guy all the way--not pretty.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
One more thing occurs to me concerning arm and shoulder pain, though it applies more to the Maliko and Molokai than the Wiki. If you don't get the paddle out early, either by winging it out with a Hawaiian stroke or lifting it with a Tahitian, you're going to be lifting water. It might not feel like a big deal while you're paddling, but it's an unusual load.

We designed these paddles to reward a good stroke. We thought that meant that only intermediate or advanced paddlers would benefit from them, but some of the feedback we're getting from customers tells us that beginners are finding the paddles useful to help force them into a better stroke. I know the feedback you get from goofing off is pretty strong. We'll see how that plays out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal