Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551724 times)

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 06:16:14 AM »
I'm interested too. I guess if we get another 2 or 3 swedes in the deal it would be OK freightwise?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 08:13:14 AM »
Hah!  PB,  I did try that today!  Had lots of time to try different "Connor" positions.  It's a game of diminishing returns:  The lower you grab, the more power you have, but you're also burning a lot more O2 bending over.  Trick seems to be adjusting to the conditions and balancing those two things:  going low enough that you get more power, but not so low that you burn out.

Took the shaft down a couple inches anyway (it's so fast with the hot glue!).  Fourteen inches overhead is plenty, methinks.  ;D

It definitely helps to be 16 when you're doing that kind of stuff. It has to be really extreme for me to choke up on the shaft. I'd rather just keep trucking.

The hot glue thing has turned out to be such a great feature. No more spoiled paddles! And if you screw up and cut off too much you buy the extended handle and you have even more versatility.

BTW, I just posted videos on using the extended handle and customizing the grip on the "Assembling Your Ke Nalu Paddle" page. https://www.kenalu.com/paddle-tips/assembling-your-new-ke-nalu-paddle/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »
I'm interested too. I guess if we get another 2 or 3 swedes in the deal it would be OK freightwise?

Probably so. While we were waiting for our custom box to be built we were shipping the paddles in a 85" X 10" X 5" box that can contain four paddles easily. If we ship them broken down (blades off the shafts--the blades go on with a hairdryer or heat gun, same as the handles) we could easily get ten in a box. That box is the one we got the shipping quote on.

The weight difference doesn't affect the shipping cost significantly, it's all the bulk. Until we get international distributors, we'll be glad to ship mixed orders like this into any country.

We won't do that into Australia or Canada--we have distributors there who are getting ready to roll.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 10:19:42 AM »
Bill,

Who are the distributors for Canada please? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Abbotsford! I stay there when I go to race at Mission with all the crazy canuck vintage car racers.

Let me check and make sure our distributor is ready for inquiries, it's going to be a little while before he gets his first shipment of paddles.

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
Bill,

Coming up to Abby anytime soon?  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
Car racing season is over for me. The next trip I take is to Maui.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
Okay... paddle is cut.

Glued on the very nice fitting ergo handle...

I love the way the textured shaft picks up wax...

Waxed up the handle...

A very tough week upcoming... but I see a little window of opportunity (and a little swell) for Thursday.

Will update.  I just looked at my surf paddle and it is beat... It is my first paddle and is called frankenpaddle (broken shaft twice, broken blade twice, broken handle once)... My local spot is kind of tough on equipment... and bodies...

Will give a review after I try it.

Tim

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Rogue Wave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Jimmy Lewis Canada
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
I've been fondling my new Ke Nalu paddle (Maliko 9" with Flex100 shaft, Ergo handle) for a week and it finally warmed up enough to try it.

It's tough to put into words how blown away I was with it !

The lightness is the first thing you notice, but it's not the only thing that sets these paddles apart. The smoothness all the way from catch to release is simply outstanding. It's like the difference between driving a Jeep and a Cadillac.

The catch is super-clean and a couple times I wasn't sure it even entered the water -- no sound whatsoever, and not a hint of a splash.

The pull is smooth -- no wobble at all unless you deliberately try to induce it but you'd have to do it intentionally. If you hold the handle with even a slight amount of pressure, there is zero, and I mean zero wobble.

The release is totally predictable and doesn't stick to the water like other blades with concave shapes -- it just pops out easily and cleanly and jumps forward.

And finally, the transition is effortless because of the light weight. Crossing sides is extra easy because of the lightness and it's simple to line your hands up again because it just seems to fall into place.

I love the sharkskin texture of the shaft, and I really like the narrowness of the shaft (even with size 10 hands). i think I can paddle much  longer without getting nearly as tired as with a conventional paddle.

Bill has a real winner on his hands and once the word gets out, he's going to have a hard time keeping up with the orders!
Jimmy Lewis Canada

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
I would like to echo everything Rogue Wave said.  This paddle is a significant advance.  For me, the biggest difference is in the catch.  Once it goes in, it is planted.  I had been using a qb elite 100 in and went for the 9 in wide maliko which should be equivalent in surface area.  The Maliko paddles MUCH larger than the elite.  Weights and stiffness are comparable.

The water entry is something you just need to try.  It goes in smoothly and is instantly engaged.  With the quickblade, I felt that I almost had to cock the handle forward to get the blade vertical to engage the water.  I have actually been thinking I was overreaching as the "cocking" move would pull me off balance.

I just got to try the 8 in today.  Same story.  I had some pretty stiff headwinds and appreciated the slightly smaller blade.

The extended handle is a great feature which shouldn't be overlooked.  Infinite adjustability. 

One tip I have to offer:
I have a heat gun and have read the stories on the board about destroying shafts to get old epoxied handles out.  It can be hard to recognize the glue melting transition point by sight alone.    I have a Black and Decker leak detector that can measure temps
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-TLD100-Thermal-Detector/dp/B001LMTW2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320279067&sr=8-1

I think the glue melts around 160 F  so I just heat the handle and shaft into the 150-200 range and glue it up.  I haven't tried to figure out the upper limit.  Maybe Bill can sacrifice some shaft chunks.

PS.  I have tried (and still have) Werners (spankers, Fuse bent shaft, carve, Fuse 3pc), C4 (Pohaku, carbon kevlar race), qb elites in varous sizes, a Powerex.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:39 PM »
  I had been using a qb elite 100 in and went for the 9 in wide maliko which should be equivalent in surface area.  The Maliko paddles MUCH larger than the elite.  Weights and stiffness are comparable.
Juandoe--so does the 9" feel more like a QB 110?  Would someone who's happy with their QB 100 (me) be better off with a 8.5" Ke Nalu than a 9"?

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
  I had been using a qb elite 100 in and went for the 9 in wide maliko which should be equivalent in surface area.  The Maliko paddles MUCH larger than the elite.  Weights and stiffness are comparable.
Juandoe--so does the 9" feel more like a QB 110?  Would someone who's happy with their QB 100 (me) be better off with a 8.5" Ke Nalu than a 9"?
I have a qb elite 90 and the 8 in wiki feels bigger.  I have tried the 9 on 3 sessions and felt it was a just a bit large (if I hit a headwind, it would be hard to maintain my cadence).  I only tried the 8in today and that was in a headwind but it never felt too small.  If you like the qb 100, I would say try the 8.5.

I am riding a Surftech Bark Dominator and weigh around 190 lbs.  Paddles are at 85".  I am just under 5'11"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
I echo Juan.  Tried mine this morning. The Maliko.  Really tough, fun conditions.  Windswell plus groundswell, plus warbles from storm, plus offshore winds.  I chose to ride my micro sup, the collab.  Bad decision. I could have caught three times as many waves if I rose my 8'3". The paddle feels like it sticks in cement as you pull yourself to the paddle.  Oops, gotta go to a wedding.  More later.  Paddles WAY bigger than 9 inches.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
Actually you have a Molokai Tim, it will be interesting to see what you think after you've tried it a few more times. I'm pretty hooked on that big catch now that I've been using mine awhile--especially in surf. I had to learn to calm down, it gives you so much pull you just don't need to yank on it.

It's especially interesting to try using your other paddles after you're comfortable with the Molokai.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2011, 09:22:42 PM »
Installed the handles on 3 Kenalus today The hot glue worked like a charm with my wifes blow drier. I installed 3 handles in under 10 mins. When you push the ferrule in it leaves a bead of glue around the connection. Let it start to harden (kind of rubbery) and use your finger to smooth it and remove excess. Leaves a nice smooth finish. One handle I noticed was a little crooked after it had hardened and a minute with the hair dryer softened it enough to twist.

Did a test today of all three sizes back to back and my current paddle as a benchmark. Very bumpy micro period NE windswell from knee to chest high, onshore gusty winds around 15 kts with lots of chop. Kind of fitting that I test them under these conditions. I require a lot more use of a paddle than most people and it was conditions like these that I used as my balance workout when I 1st started to SUP.

I went out with my current paddle 1st just to set the benchmark and get the feel in my head. I'm very comfortable with it, great paddle.

The 1st KeNalu I tried was the 9" Molokai. I tend to like larger blades (current is 110 sq. in) and with the Molokai at 105 I figured it would likely be the paddle of chose for me. I couldn't believe how hard it grabs water. First really hard pull I almost came off the board. Theres no comparison to other blades at 105 sq in. I'd say it feels more like 120 or even more. Very smooth though. After about 15 mins i got used to it and had adjusted my stroke a little (shorter) but it still feels very aggressive. Crazy pull into a wave.

I jumped right to the 8" Wiki next. I've tried other paddles with smaller blades. I haven't found any that gave me enough grab. So I was shocked when the 8" felt so good. It's so light and paddles so easy. I consciously really shortened my stroke. I tend to use a long stroke because I've always felt the need for balance reasons. Now I found myself using a very short tahitian style stroke, high cadence, and liking it. I can also  throw this thing around so easily it hardly feels like anything is there. But again the blade feels much bigger than it is. Under todays conditions I think it was my favorite of the 3. They're all ridiculously light but being able to move the Wiki around so easily gave it the edge today. I might also be biased because of the 3 its grab felt most similar to my current paddle (despite being 26 sq. in smaller)

The 8.5 Maliko felt like you might expect, in the middle of the two.  

All of them paddle remarkably smooth and grab far above their face size. I'm going to have to do a lot more testing in various conditions to know which I'll use on a given day. My gut tells me that I'll likely end up with a 9" for surf and an 8" for racing and downwind but it might just be the 8.5" with two handles, regular for surf and extended for racing. The fact that the handles can be swapped so easily is great..

The last test was to paddle with my current paddle again. This is a blade that I've really liked for a long time. This is when you really notice just how different the KeNalus are. I still don't understand just what the hell you did Bill but holy shit these are awesome. You've really nailed this.

One thing I noticed that I didn't like. The shark skin texture on the shaft provides a very aggressive grip with gloves on, too much for me. I pulled off the gloves for a bit and loved the feel though so i don't think I want to remove the texture.. I think I'll try some cloth gloves over the rubber and see how that effects grip. Ideally hands will slide but grip when you want it. I got used to it as the day progressed but I'll need to look at ways to make it feel better when wearing gloves.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:28:04 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal