Author Topic: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle  (Read 551906 times)

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: review of the Ke Nalu (Pono Bill) paddle
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:27:59 AM »
Bill,
can you ship the paddle to Spain? If so, I would be interested.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 07:05:40 AM »
And if possible, perhaps one to Sweden please?  :)

Henrik F
crosswater.se

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »
We will be able to handle international shipping with the eCommerce system I'm setting up, and we'll be using PayPal as the core transaction choice, and they handle currency conversion nicely, so there should be no problem. We can ship the paddle with the blade off the shaft to reduce package size as long as people are comfortable cutting the shaft to their chosen length and hot-glueing the bits together.

One of the people who has a paddle is an Australian surfing champion, and he changed the length of his paddle in his hotel room at the Huntington Beach Hilton prior to the World Tour contest using the hair dryer with a little tape over some of the air inlet holes, so we know that hotel hairdryers work for gluing.

So we've got that going for us.

He also didn't like the grab of the "sharkskin" shaft, so he sanded it lightly and loved the result. I like to sand it a little above the grip area and leave it fully aggressive at my usual grip. It's nice to have the ability to tune the paddle the way you like it. The "skin" is less than a thousandth of an inch of texture, so 200 or even 400 grit knocks it down. Most people like it and leave it alone, but people who like full control over their paddle transfer might feel it gets in the way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
We will be able to handle international shipping with the eCommerce system I'm setting up, and we'll be using PayPal as the core transaction choice, and they handle currency conversion nicely, so there should be no problem. We can ship the paddle with the blade off the shaft to reduce package size as long as people are comfortable cutting the shaft to their chosen length and hot-glueing the bits together.

One of the people who has a paddle is an Australian surfing champion, and he changed the length of his paddle in his hotel room at the Huntington Beach Hilton prior to the World Tour contest using the hair dryer with a little tape over some of the air inlet holes, so we know that hotel hairdryers work for gluing.

So we've got that going for us.

Hello!
Paypal is excellent. But I'm a bit concerned about the glueing. Will there be some instructions on "how to do"?

Cheers

Henrik F
crosswater.se

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
Certainly. The ability to unglue the paddle to fix components and change length is an important feature. We're having hang tags printed that cover all the things you can do to the paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

viatormundi

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
Sounds good Bill. Pls let me know when I can order it.

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 10:54:17 AM »
If that works as well as your testing indicates that is a great feature to be able to unglue and add a longer shaft if need be.   Wish I could do that on my Starboard paddle that is too short:)

You should sell some raffle tickets for a couple of paddles.  Not sure if my wife is going to give me the ok to buy one as we have just purchased a couple of new race boards but I would be all over a few raffle tickets:)

bing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
Hey Ponobill - do you have a website yet ?  How do you order one ?  I am thinking about buying one.  The paddle collection is starting to grow like my board collection.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
the website will be the Ke Nalu magazine site--I'm adding eCommerce to the site. I'll have it up in a few days, I find it hard to work in Hotel rooms, I need my ancient keyboard and my roller mouse.

What a sissy, I know, but the distractions have been great too. Adequate surf and warm (compared to Oregon) water, and then the finals of the surf contest at Huntington.

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »
I paddled the Ke Nalu at the BOP. Perfect for me besides the little extra glue on the handle. Gave me something to pick at for 10 miles. (Bill did change to a better handle in the parking lot with a glue gun) No flutter , shaft grip was nice for the distance race as sweat was flowing. No shoulder pain after the race. Looking for photo of the finish with paddle and  the logo side out. I have sent in a request for one .
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 07:56:41 AM »
The site is up and working pretty well. I have paddles reserved for all the folks who contacted me. If you are in the USA and want a paddle please give the ecommerce system a try. I'm keeping things a bit quiet until I see what the bugs are. The Paypal stuff works fine, it's the shipping (UPS) that's driving me insane. I probably should just go to a flat (or free in the continental US) shipping rate and forget about the calculated shipping. It's the geek in me that wants to get it right.

The deal for Zoners is still on, but the coupon system is another challenge--it screws up the Paypal reporting. The transaction works but there's no detail.

We'll simply assume everyone that orders is a zoner since we're not talking about the paddle anywhere else.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 08:08:19 AM »
Ok, I give, I switched to simple shipping until I can get this fixed. Free in the USA, 30 bucks everywhere else. Obviously the fee won't cover the cost but I want to get these paddles in people's hands.

We'll ship the paddles immediately, the paddle bags will come separately--they aren't here yet. Everyone that orders a paddle from these first 150 gets a bag, it's just going to be Zoners anyway.

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 09:08:47 AM »
Ok, I give, I switched to simple shipping until I can get this fixed. Free in the USA, 30 bucks everywhere else. Obviously the fee won't cover the cost but I want to get these paddles in people's hands.

We'll ship the paddles immediately, the paddle bags will come separately--they aren't here yet. Everyone that orders a paddle from these first 150 gets a bag, it's just going to be Zoners anyway.

Great new Ke Nalu homepage! I am thinking of buying your paddle but I'm not sure about the handles? Ergo T-handle and... Will there be pics of them or was it just me not finding the pictures?  ???

Thanks!

Henrik F, Sweden
crosswater.se

refthimos

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:54 AM »
Three thoughts:

• Are you going to post pictures of the 3 handle options?  I think I have seen them in posts here, but don't see them on the site.
  • What is the difference between the various shaft types (100%, 90% and 60% carbon)?
  • Since I don't see a shaft length option, are you shipping one length shaft and then the customer cuts it to suit?  If so, what length shaft is that?  Do you plan on offering customers pre-cut and glued paddles in the future or does that screw up shipping in a smaller box?
Understand the site is still a work in progress but looking good so far and the paddles of course look amazing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:52:38 AM by refthimos »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »
I'm working on all that, it will be up in a few hours. The UPS rep is here showing me how to fix the shipping calculator, but we'll keep things as they are for a while.

The post I'm working on covers handles (with pics) and shafts. The shaft is just about flex. They look the same and the 90% weighs the same (five grams heavier). The 60 percent is 40 grams heavier.

I've tried them all extensively, and done flutter and wobble tests. No difference in the wobble, the 60% eliminates the last little bit of vibration. Personally, I'd go with the 100% even with my screwed up shoulders. The paddle feels good anyway. But if you LOVE flex then the 60 percent is worth the difference. The only thing I notice with the 90 percent is a bit more upper hand flex, which might be nice on long paddles.

I will precut the paddles if you like, just drop me an email. Otherwise they ship with the blade attached and the handle loose, with a coat of hot glue on the handle. You cut the shaft, heat it and the handle with a heat gun or good hairdryer and stick it together. Full instruction on Ke Nalu in a day or so. Standard shaft at full length and an ergo-T handle and a 8.5" blade is 82". With the 9" blade it's 83". For you extra tall folks there's a long shaft that yields 86" and 87" respectively.

For NBA players the extended Ergo T goes up to 93" with the long shaft. If you're really short, let us know your paddle length and we'll include a handle with a thicker  ferrule. The shaft is tapered, so if you cut it much shorter than 65" the handle gets a bit loose.  Not completely necessary, it still works, but we were whacky enough to make special molds for them, so you might as well have one.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:37:09 PM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal